SlimArchi

Global ETF

I’ve been looking at investing into a global ETF. I’ll be making monthly deposits.

Any suggestions on a moderate/all round ETF?

Preferably available on Easyequities and not too heavily weighted in property. Perhaps the Stanlib world index feeder? Thanks

I’ve been looking at investing into a global ETF. I’ll be making monthly deposits.

Any suggestions on a moderate/all round ETF?

Preferably available on Easyequities and not too heavily weighted in property. Perhaps the Stanlib world index feeder? Thanks

ASHGEQ - Global 1200 companies. Includes some emerging markets. Most all round.

STXWDM - Focussed on developed markets. Most people will buy this.

STXNDQ - Nasdaq 100. Companies like Facebook, Tesla, Amazon etc. More focussed, more potential gain, higher risk.

If I had to buy only one global ETF, it would be ASHGEQ.

I like that it has a little more emerging market exposure than the others, which in the long term has more potential for growth, in my opinion.

And a combination? Perhaps all three in proportion or would that lead me to double investing in certain markets or stocks?

STXWDM is basically ASHGEQ without the emerging markets part. So yes, I wouldn't do both.

STXNDQ is sector-specific which means it has much greater risk (and of course potential reward) than your core shares. However, depending how much tolerance you have for risk, you may want to buy a slightly lower fraction of these than the core shares. I actually decided to do SYG4IR (Asian tech stocks) instead of STXNDQ because I don't want too much of my portfolio in US tech shares (many of these are already in the other ETFs that I have). But it's a toss-up between the two - I can't say that one is better than the other - it all depends if you have greater faith in American or Asian markets in the long run.

Something else you may consider is a consistent high-dividend stocks ETF as well (such as GLODIV), because these are the ones that thrive in a bear market (have a look at the performance of GLODIV this year, for example - up 25% or so), and maybe even some property to be really well diversified.

The global ETF part of my own portfolio is as follows:

ASHGEQ: 22%

GLODIV: 22%

GLPROP: 22%

STXEMG: 22%

SYG4IR: 12%

Thank Saurus, that has helped a lot! I actually have a bit of SYG4IR in my TFSA. It seems like it was doing quite well but I noticed a bit of a drop this week. I’ll definitely take your words to mind.

I’ve been caught up between just keeping some cash in a bank account and getting around 5.3% interest or going into ETFs. It is short term for 6-12 months so I was leaning towards the investment account. But with markets the way they are this week I thought it would be a good time to get in and diversify a bit.

Thank Saurus, that has helped a lot! I actually have a bit of SYG4IR in my TFSA. It seems like it was doing quite well but I noticed a bit of a drop this week. I’ll definitely take your words to mind.

I’ve been caught up between just keeping some cash in a bank account and getting around 5.3% interest or going into ETFs. It is short term for 6-12 months so I was leaning towards the investment account. But with markets the way they are this week I thought it would be a good time to get in and diversify a bit.

EDIT: I give up on this F**** forum leaving my posts blank and having to retype everything

*sigh* Lemmer try again :P

1. Everything dropped this week

2. ETFs are a high risk investment so you need 5+ years to make it worth your while unless you mix it up with more conservative investments like bonds, cash etc.

Yes, there's a problem with the website. Only the "Quick Reply" box works. If you reply to a post, it just deletes your text and only posts the original post you are replying two. It's been this way for a few weeks now, but I had no idea how to report it.