Short Positions on JSE

Ianf

Here is a article on shorts in Capitec

The number of shares sold short in Capitec has remained the same, proving resistance to the bank’s detailed responses to Viceroy Research’s allegations that its books were not in order and setting them right would require that the Reserve Bank place it under curatorship.

By Friday morning, between 1% and just less than 5% of Capitec’s 115.6-million issued shares were out on loan to investors who then sold them on, betting on a plunge in the bank’s share price. At the top end of this range, the short positions were worth R4.8bn at Friday’s market prices

Where do the journalists get this info?

I understand your question better now.

I will need to ask the help of @SimonPB as I have no clue where to see the number of shorted shares, I always thought that would depend on the broker, because short shares actually doesn't exist it's just a contract between the short seller and the broker.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

It's one of the way these very low TER ETF's make a bit of extra cash - lending out a portion of their book to for a fee.

Wow, that is very interesting! 

I did not know that - will that be within their ecosystem, like newfunds etf lending to ABSA or will they lend to other brokers too?

How does this work in practice?