Last seen movie and rating

Spreadsheet Ranger

Wonder (2017)

7/10

The unusual pairing of Owen Wilson and Julia Roberts exceeded my expectation. There are points when you will reach out for some tissues but they're peppered with enough laughs along the way to make it well-balanced, extremely relevant and combined with a strong message

Mother! (2017)

3/10

Wasted two hours of my life. Started off as something that could be good, then it turned completely bonkers. Too many unanswered questions, beyond the realm of believability. Too many times I asked WTF during this movie. Even with a star studded cast it fell apart.

• Like 1

Blade of the Immortal (2017)

8/10

This whole movie was in Japanese and I can barely speak English. It was 3 hours of stunning visuals and a properly structured storyline, basically, Manji, a samurai cursed with immortality is asked by a young woman, Rin, to avenge the death of her father at the hands of the renegade ronin group, the Itto-ryu. Rin eerily resembles Machi, the disturbed figure whom Manji had witnessed being brutally butchered 50 years before.

I want them to release a follow-up movie exploring the origins of Yaobikuni and how the bloodworms were discovered.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Foreigner

7/10 

I've always been a major fan of Jackie Chan, especially his more serious work like the Police Story. I had the idea that this movie should be of that caliber, it was to a certain degree but lacked a bit. At times it felt that he was more playing a supporting role despite being the center of the plot, I would have liked if they involved him a little more.

Pierce Brosnan knock this out of the park, very dynamic actor and being a big 007 fan especially the Pierce Brosnan era. This was incredible to watch, you could see some fear and tough emotions. He nailed the Irish accent and mannerism a very dynamic actor indeed. 

Most people only know Jackie Chan in the comedy roles, the foreigner highlights the ability of Jackie Chan being a true actor, expanding into different roles being polar opposites of each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The shape of water 2017

6.5/10

Complex movie, showing how far the spirit of generosity takes us.

It's too long, a very slow paced film that I feel could have achieved the same in 40 minutes less. It's definitely a love story and comfort watch unable to generate real dramatic tension.

• 1 month later...

Annihilation 2018

5/10

Cosmic Sci-Fi, not really my thing, but the movie was alright. It felt like a Jurassic Park movie playing off in some alternate universe. Big fan of Natalie Portman probably the only reason I marked this movie above 1/10, the ending was too open-ended for me and the origin story was none existent, just felt like this movie would have been better layed out if they made it a series instead, like Tera Nova.

If I must some this movie up in one sentence it would be: "Trippy shiaat"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The house with the clock in it's wall. 

2/10

Unfortunately I misjudged the audience for this one. (Saw Jack Black and suddenly missed Tenacious D) 

If you are over 12 years old, best to skip movie. 

Edited by Spreadsheet Ranger