Shares

Treasure

Hi everyone!

I know this might sound stupid , but I need to know which platform to use to buy shares and what the process is.

Thank you in advance.

So, there are many ways to invest and classify them and that has an impact on which platform you use. Let's assume we're not talking about unit trusts etc. but shares and ETFs.

ETFs, in case you do not know, are a basket of shares. I hate those words but it is what it is. It is one "share" you buy and underneath it has its own rules and methods of buying and selling other shares. For example, PTXTEN tries to dividend your investment up into 10 equal parts among the 10 biggest property shares. STX40 splits it between the 40 biggest shares on the JSE based on their market cap. The buy/sell happens quarterly (99% of the time) to rebalance the ETF. Personally, I prefer ETFs over single shares but that's up to you and your risk appetite. I reckon they are a much safer and hassles/stress-free investment in the long run.

OK, "lecture" over:

ETFs: ABSA Stockbrokers or EasyEquities. Both of these also offer a TFSA account and are cheap (no monthly fees etc).

Single Shares: EasyEquities. Unless you are a serious investor moving lots of funds every month and need advanced features like "stop loss", EasyEquities is the only platform to consider IMO. The others charge a lot of fees that will eat into your profits.

I use both of those along with Stanlib for my unit trusts. There is also a guide somewhere on the site on how to open and buy/sell on the EasyEquities platform but it actually really simple.

1. Register and open account

2. Upload FICA documentation

3. Deposit funds (EFT, Credit Card etc)

4. Pick the share or ETF you want to buy from a list

4.1. Enter how much money's worth you want to buy

4.2. Click buy

IQ Test

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome! Do let us know what you buy!!

Welcome aboard.

Hi there

So I bought 4sight and want to buy Intu properties which is based in the UK . It owns most of London properties.

But hey I'm still a newbie who is still learning , I look up to all of you.

I'm always reading up here for tips and advises.

I have now started trading bitcoin and have made few thousands in the past few days so I'm happy.

Hi there

So I bought 4sight and want to buy Intu properties which is based in the UK . It owns most of London properties.

But hey I'm still a newbie who is still learning , I look up to all of you.

I'm always reading up here for tips and advises.

I have now started trading bitcoin and have made few thousands in the past few days so I'm happy.

Awesome news man, exciting stuff!

Intu own large, quality malls in the UK ( a few in in Spain as well) - biggest being Traford center in Manchester. Sort of the Hyprop of the UK. I don't think they have that much in London. Capital and counties is the London based property DEVELOPMENT company with activities in Earls Court and Covent Garden. Besides being property in the UK, they are pretty different. REIT(income from rents) vs development.

Intu own large, quality malls in the UK ( a few in in Spain as well) - biggest being Traford center in Manchester. Sort of the Hyprop of the UK. I don't think they have that much in London. Capital and counties is the London based property DEVELOPMENT company with activities in Earls Court and Covent Garden. Besides being property in the UK, they are pretty different. REIT(income from rents) vs development.

Thanks MrDividend for the clarity.

Do you think they are q good buy though?

Thanks MrDividend for the clarity. 

Do you think they are q good buy though?

Firstly I have owned a small amount of Intu for a few years. Initially did well - but now sitting on a loss. Not a very good divided payer ether. Hmmm, not sure why I own them - guess at this point just do not want to take the loss! They do own great assets though. Most of the pro's like hammerson more. I don't think having some UK exposure is a bad thing - but as they shares might be in the doldrums for a while, you might want to get a decent dividend while waiting for things to pick up. 

My UK exposure is through Intu, Atlantic leaf (industrial/ great dividend), Redefine Inter (I wouldn't be adding) and Texton (SA REIT, with around 40% exposure to the UK, fantasic dividend but very unloved so wouldn't recommend, but after Capitec, my biggest holding). Did look at Capital And Regional - look well run, they like to sell mature assets then reinvest - decent divi as well. The other interesting one is Equities - on the surface looks good - modern logistics in SA and UK - good for the future I guess.

But, for me, would look at safer oversea investments first - no one knows what will happen to the UK. Sirus (germany, small industrial units, the great at developing sites) - NepiRockcastle (Retail, cover most of the CEE region but strong focus on Romania and Poland) - or Ecko Polska (just poland). I really like all three - as a region a feel Poland will do well with is population size as well as the poles are hardworking and value education.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly I have owned a small amount of Intu for a few years. Initially did well - but now sitting on a loss. Not a very good divided payer ether. Hmmm, not sure why I own them - guess at this point just do not want to take the loss! They do own great assets though. Most of the pro's like hammerson more. I don't think having some UK exposure is a bad thing - but as they shares might be in the doldrums for a while, you might want to get a decent dividend while waiting for things to pick up. 

My UK exposure is through Intu, Atlantic leaf (industrial/ great dividend), Redefine Inter (I wouldn't be adding) and Texton (SA REIT, with around 40% exposure to the UK, fantasic dividend but very unloved so wouldn't recommend, but after Capitec, my biggest holding). Did look at Capital And Regional - look well run, they like to sell mature assets then reinvest - decent divi as well. The other interesting one is Equities - on the surface looks good - modern logistics in SA and UK - good for the future I guess.

But, for me, would look at safer oversea investments first - no one knows what will happen to the UK. Sirus (germany, small industrial units, the great at developing sites) - NepiRockcastle (Retail, cover most of the CEE region but strong focus on Romania and Poland) - or Ecko Polska (just poland). I really like all three - as a region a feel Poland will do well with is population size as well as the poles are hardworking and value education.

Oh wow. This is great, you are good at this. Great info, I'm definitely learning a lot from you.

I'll look into getting Atlantic leaf and Ecko Polska. I'll go read about them first.

Thank you very much man!