Are site maps still relevant?

I have been pondering about this one now for a while...

We are already over 1000 pages imagine if this thing grows, would it be necessary to have a site map, I mean it will have to be generated daily and submitted and generating a sitemap when you get in that 5K pages range starts to become a tedious process.

So from a SEO perspective besides the sitemap and google webmaster tools, what strategies and technical changes can I make in order to get us growing continuously.

• 4 months later...

Why don't you create a sitemap php page and generate it on the fly? Submit a link like "..../generate.php?t=sitemap.xml" to Google and when it is hit it reads the DB and responds with xml and content-type application/xml.

Or have a cron job or something run every morning at 4AM to generate xml for you.

IQ Test

Why don't you create a sitemap php page and generate it on the fly? Submit a link like "..../generate.php?t=sitemap.xml" to Google and when it is hit it reads the DB and responds with xml and content-type application/xml.

Or have a cron job or something run every morning at 4AM to generate xml for you.

That is exactly what we ended up doing :)

This is a php generated page -> https://www.platinumwealth.co.za/forum/sitemap-index.xml

via .htaccess it hits "/generate.php?t=sitemap.xml"