The Wonderful World of Cement

PirateJack

I read a few articles this weekend with various predictions, most of them pointing towards growth, everyone aiming for R8.50 after which the next target of R15 can be obtained.

This merger sounds like it could be very beneficial for shareholders, would be interesting to see how this affects the share price today.

I'm remaining positive

I read a few articles this weekend with various predictions, most of them pointing towards growth, everyone aiming for R8.50 after which the next target of R15 can be obtained.

This merger sounds like it could be very beneficial for shareholders, would be interesting to see how this affects the share price today.

I'm remaining positive

Now if TAS would just do something today so I call sell some and jump on PPC. :)

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

If this merger takes place then it means the government will own a cement monopoly correct? Thanks to PIC.

AFAIK PIC owns around 67% of Afrisam, not sure if they have anything in PPC though?

PIC owns 15.2% of PPC I think they are the single biggest shareholder if I am not mistaken?

If this merger takes place then it means the government will own a cement monopoly correct? Thanks to PIC.

AFAIK PIC owns around 67% of Afrisam, not sure if they have anything in PPC though?

PIC owns 15.2% of PPC I think they are the single biggest shareholder if I am not mistaken?

That seems to be the case, PIC probably owns 30% of everything on the JSE at this stage lol

That seems to be the case, PIC probably owns 30% of everything on the JSE at this stage lol

Haha true.

Well saw this on MoneyWeb

The share price of cement maker PPC was up 5% during morning trade on Monday, after the company announced that it had entered formal discussions with Afrisam on a potential merger.

PPC shares were up 5% to R7.35 at 9.17 am. 

In a statement on Monday, PPC CEO Darryll Castle said the company and AfriSam have concluded that current market circumstances warrant entering into formal discussions to consider a merger.

Castle said both companies would jointly assess the potential benefits of the proposed merger for all stakeholders, including the value that can be realised for  shareholders. 

A successful merger between the two cement companies would potentially create a major cement producer in the African continent that would be able to compete internationally. 

“Should the proposed merger proceed it will result in the creation of a South African-owned cement producer that is financially stronger, operationally more efficient, has deeper technical capability and is well placed to develop as a major African cement producer” said Castle. 

Cement makes have been battling with challenges of low infrastructure spend, tough competition, low cement prices and the dumping of cheap cement in the domestic market.

PPC will hold a press briefing at 12 pm to reveal further details.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ppc Limited - Disclosure Of Beneficial Interests In Securities dated 23/03/2017

Public Investment Corporation SOC Limited has, in aggregate, acquired an interest in the ordinary shares of the Company, such that the total interest held in PPC now amounts to 15.116% of the total issued ordinary shares of PPC.

I'm really starting to wonder how much money the PIC has invested in the JSE