How to buy Civic Tokens

In this tutorial we will be using shapeshift again to buy Civic with Bitcoins.

What is Civic?

Civic’s model allows for on-demand, secure and lower cost access to identity verification via the blockchain. Background and personal information verification checks may no longer need to be undertaken from the ground up every time a new institution or application requires one.

Civic, while being built on crypto — is not actually Fintech at all. It’s an identity verification system (think KYC/AML) that lets anyone give and get “know your customer” information through a trusted source.

So why use the blockchain for this? Civic is going to pay identity verifiers (banks, utilities, other trusted sources) to do the KYC work with coin. Then they are going to store the results in the distributed ledger of the blockchain. This means their cost to KYC is ZERO, their cost to store the data is ZERO and the buyer of this service (another company that wants to quickly and cheaply verify user identity) has to buy Civic coins to access the service.

Who is behind Civic?

Vinny Lingham is the CEO. Vinny is a serial entrepreneur who previously founded the digital gift card platform, Gyft, which was acquired by First Data Corporation in 2014. After over a decade of experience in e-commerce, he realized that no-one had a universal solution to tackle identity fraud for consumers.

Jonathan Smith is the CTO. Jonathan has more than 15 years of experience in banking and technology advisory. After a successful career in some of the most complex and security sensitive environments, Jonathan brings his talent for technology leadership, innovation and delivery to the world of digital identity.

How do I buy Civic?

Buying Civic is very straight forward. You will need a wallet, for this tutorial we used JAXX. Then we will be using Shapeshift.io again to exchange our Bitcoin for Civic.

2017-07-24_10-47-16.jpg.72360c8b242b5b49beb89bf9c9765df0.jpg

Next step is to go to Shapeshift.io Make sure you select Bitcoin as the base currency and Civic as the currency you want to exchange your bitcoins for.

2017-07-24_10-46-18.jpg.d8e02175ff9b128b83c2cc70ab072223.jpg

Now enter the amount of Bitcoins you want to send, in this case the maximum we were able to send was 0.9 Bitcoin. Make sure you enter the Civic wallet address that you get inside Jaxx as well as your own bitcoin address as a backup incase the transaction fails. In this case we send Bitcoins from Luno to Shapeshift.io

2017-07-24_10-53-04.jpg.6473aa0c03af5e0504e0a44d5c0a1e85.jpg

Now you wait for the exchange to take place this step takes a couple of minutes, but once complete you will be greeted with the following page showing the transaction was a success and then you will see your balance in your Jaxx wallet.

2017-07-24_11-08-50.thumb.jpg.c771ce91f9944b2c30f84b41828a898b.jpg

Tips

If you found this tutorial useful, send some Civic love to 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this, bought my first crypto...not much at all, but hey...at least I'm in the game. Gotta start somewhere!

Thanks again for this guide, would not have been able to do it without this thread and help.

On a note...a bit unerving that you dont access Jaxx with a username and password...so transacted on my pc first...and have since paired my phone. What happens if you lose your phone and your pc crashes...you basically lose everything? Fark...heavy...

Thanks for this, bought my first crypto...not much at all, but hey...at least I'm in the game. Gotta start somewhere!

Thanks again for this guide, would not have been able to do it without this thread and help.

On a note...a bit unerving that you dont access Jaxx with a username and password...so transacted on my pc first...and have since paired my phone. What happens if you lose your phone and your pc crashes...you basically lose everything? Fark...heavy...

Would suggest setting up a security pin :-) Can't transfer out without the pin as far as i know (from one noob to another :-)

Not really, when you install Jaxx you get a 12 word phrase, write this down, put it on usb or whatever and store these in a safe place. In the event that your pc and phone gets stolen, just install Jaxx again and enter your 12 word phrase which would then load your entire profile.

Protect your pc/phone with a password, plus enable finger print access/pin on your phone.

These are all basic steps imo, hope it helps :)

One thing I don't understand though is how that backup key relates to the different wallets inside Jaxx.

Surely that key won't be the same for all the wallets inside Jaxx, so Jaxx must be storing the private keys elsewhere.

No idea, there is probably one main key from which subkeys are created or something

Don't know if it was an isolated incident but by the looks of it you can't shapeshift directly from luno... after a few mails to shapeshift they said that the transaction that came from luno was included in a multiple output transaction where several transactions are bundled together and use the same txid. Shapeshift does not support this .

Got an email earlier saying that my btc was refunded from shapeshift but have not received it yet (look like they refunded it to the same multi address as it was sent from although i entered a return address).

Just mailed luno... Maybe they first need to allocate it or something. Will await their response...

hi everyone, I am totally new to this forum. 

I am interested in buying CIVIC, but still need to purchase Bitcoin. Currently I am set up with LYKKE wallet and EXODUS. 

which wallet [and procedure] do you suggest to buy Bitcoin, and then to proceed to buy CIVIC?

do you know whether it will be possible to transfer Bitcoin [if "parked" in EXODUS] to your suggested wallet in order to purchase CIVIC? 

kind regards

hi everyone, I am totally new to this forum. 

I am interested in buying CIVIC, but still need to purchase Bitcoin. Currently I am set up with LYKKE wallet and EXODUS. 

which wallet [and procedure] do you suggest to buy Bitcoin, and then to proceed to buy CIVIC?

do you know whether it will be possible to transfer Bitcoin [if "parked" in EXODUS] to your suggested wallet in order to purchase CIVIC? 

kind regards

Hello @Boosman, welcome to Platinum Wealth.

I made a short tutorial here for another member on how to buy Bitcoin https://platinumwealth.co.za/forum/Thread-Best-place-to-buy-BTC

Basically, you will deposit fund from your ZAR bank account into Luno and then buy the bitcoin and then in this particular case to save on fees, you can send the bitcoins directly to Shapeshiaat.io or changelly.com from luno.

Then, I use the Jaxx wallet to store my Civics, so you can use Jaxx as well to store Civic Tokens.

I hope this helps?

• 2 months later...

What is the best way to buy CVC these days? Still Luno -> Shapeshift.io or changelly.com as advised here a while go, or what about Bittrex if you are already verified on there?

Thanks

Changelly (it's build into coindata.co.za now) reason, the fees are lower than shapeshift.

If you already have a bittrex account than that can work too.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel