What do you use to manage your finances?

What do you guys use to manage your personal finances and budgeting?

I have the 22Seven app, but I end up using it almost never due to Capitec being a las to sync with each time.

I recently started using Pastel Mymoney, but yea with Capitec the syncing is a bit bad so it takes forever.

Use to have a spreadsheet that I used and to be honest the spreadsheet is still the best possible way the only problem is it is not portable that thing must be viewed on a 27" screen  to make out what is going on, that is where there general apps have the upper hand imo.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

I use an App called My Budget Book. It is completely manual. But it is by far the best for my personal use.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.onetwoapps.mh&hl=en

iOS: http://www.onetwoapps.de/english/my-budget-book/

Note: these two apps DO NOT have the same developers. So they are essentially different apps but it seems they mimic each other for 99% of their features.

“Ignorance is of a peculiar nature: once dispelled, it is impossible to re-establish it. It is not originally a thing of itself, but is only the absence of knowledge; and though man may be kept ignorant, he cannot be made ignorant.”-Thomas Paine, The Rights Of Man

I found this Excel sheet from google docs -> Monthly budget ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HulihfZVTBr6Dy038AF6I5bY9bAua2gnUsbGaPymXfg/edit?usp=sharing )

The problem is that sheet is in Dollar, is there a way I can convert that into R without having to change each cell and formula manually?

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

I found this Excel sheet from google docs -> Monthly budget ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HulihfZVTBr6Dy038AF6I5bY9bAua2gnUsbGaPymXfg/edit?usp=sharing )

The problem is that sheet is in Dollar, is there a way I can convert that into R without having to change each cell and formula manually?

I played with it for a minute, basically in google sheets just highlighted all on the first sheet, then went Format>Number>More Formats>More Currencies and changed it to South African

Then I did the same for the next sheet.

Then I changed all the date rows back to Date format and the whole thing seems to still be working quite nicely :)

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

The problem I have with all these apps, is that it does not give a full picture. What about transaction costs and other miscellaneous costs that are taken off your bank account monthly? What should the ideal app have. Well firstly, there is no way in hell I will connect my bank account to my cellphone permanently, BUT, what could work is getting something like a sms that automatically updates an app on my phone. So if I do a purchase instead of me entering the amount I spend, the transaction will update my app AND the costs involved with that transaction.

Also if I do not spend my funds and I get interest on my funds in my account, I want to see it on my app. Man, I want to see it all, but not by having a permanent connection to my bank account that can be hacked. The bank must push it to me. I'm not spending money to go and get it.

What will make people save? Seeing the interest on their money pop into their account daily! For the life of me I still can't figure out why nobody has that functionality. Ja I know because banks pay interest monthly. Bullshise! Show me the interest daily, not monthly! I don't care if it is 5 cents interest that I earn daily. Show it to me.