The Ethereum Thread

I have noticed some interest with respect to Ethereum in that many (including myself) see it as the alternative to Bitcoin and potentially even a better investment due to interest from the big boys (such as Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, etc).

Anything goes here with Ethereum. This will be the official thread for anything related to Ethereum. 

What is Ethereum?

Ethereum is a cutting edge blockchain-based distributed computing platform, featuring smart contract functionality. It provides a decentralized virtual machine, the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM), that can execute peer-to-peer contracts using a crypto-fuel called Ether.

Read more in this thread for a simple explanation

General White Paper, Technical Yellow Paper (pdf)

(video)

(video)

(video)

(video)

(video)

Current Ethereum Price

usd.jpg

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

I used your tutorial and bought 2 ethereums already in the green.

You guys genuinely think ethereum will match bitcoin?

Definitely, I can see a lot more practical uses for the smart contracts. Don't get me wrong bitcoin will go much much higher including Ethereum.

Imagine what will happen to the ether price when Microsoft announces you now need to pay your windows 10 subscription using ether.

They are actively working on making it more accessible to the public and no doubt with JP Morgan Chase involved there will be a "legit" credit/debit card for ether available soon. 

It will start in the US and then flow down to the rest of the world.

^Speculation of course.

Huobi went live today; 0.01% charge for first 3 days and 0.05% for the next 2 weeks I think?

OKCoin is going live tomorrow.

That makes 2/3 largest exchanges in China making ETH available.

Come on baby.

Am also hopeful that this will increase the value of ETH, however nothing much has happened so far.

Hey everyone. I've developed quite an interest for cryptocurrencies lately. The only downfall I've noticed is the extremely high mining fees (especially in relation to small value transactions). Has anyone else experienced this?

I tried to buy some Ether on Jaxx for about R120 (in bitcoins) only to see that about a third would go to mining fees :(

Hey everyone. I've developed quite an interest for cryptocurrencies lately. The only downfall I've noticed is the extremely high mining fees (especially in relation to small value transactions). Has anyone else experienced this?

I tried to buy some Ether on Jaxx for about R120 (in bitcoins) only to see that about a third would go to mining fees :(

That's crazy, look under Jaxx settings page, then BTC Mining Fees and select low.

By default it's on normal if I'm not mistaken.

Is it a good time to buy? Waiting to get paid for my mining and will be using those funds to purchase ETH

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I believe so, I do believe Ether will surpass bitcoin so this current price is a steal in the greater scheme of things.

^My opinion.

That's crazy, look under Jaxx settings page, then BTC Mining Fees and select low.

By default it's on normal if I'm not mistaken.

Yes it was on medium. Will a mining fee on low ever get processed? I hear it can take days sometimes if the fee is not sufficient.