Buying Ripple

Buying Ripple (XRP) is a bit difficult for South Africans, because it is only listed on three exchanges and they require a US or UK bank account. There is one exchange I found that allows you to fund the account using Ether.

Since I already own Ether I decided to go that route so this is not the only way to buy ripple, however this is how I did it.

XRP is listed on Bitstamp, GateHub and Kraken.

I will try to explain how to buy XRP using GateHub. GateHub trades multiple currencies, including fiat currencies such as EUR, USD and digital assets such as Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethererum (ETH).

The guide on ripple's site shows how to purchase it using a EU bank account. We will instead be using Ether.

1. Go to https://signin.gatehub.net/signup and create an account. After you enter your information and click Sign Up, GateHub sends you an email to verify your account.

gatehub-step-1.png.0a4553a2c49be6169e0ec9f05c637a19.png

2. Store Recovery Key to a SAFE PLACE. In case you ever forget your GateHub password this is the ONLY way to recover your funds.

gatehub-step-2.png.441674ab4a7f274f73e5efc1516b3c08.png

3. After you stored Recovery Key activate your GateHub account by clicking Activate account button in the email you received.

4. Sign in with your email and password.

gatehub-step-3.png.681283e08e06d7ef74fa06d3d6a86af9.png

5. * You will be skipping steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 by clicking Skip, I'll do this later. When depositing a crypto currency (such as BTC, ETH, ETC or REP) GateHub doesn’t require full identity verification.

You need to verify your phone, if you select South Africa then the SMS you receive from them is in Afrikaans. I thought that was pretty cool.

(If you have a EU bank account) Type in your phone number and click Confirm. Enter 4 digit verification PIN you received via SMS and click Verify. Click Continue after phone number has been successfully verified. Follow the instructions and complete all 5 steps before connecting a gateway.

gatehub-step-4.png.e47bfe539a8a8083d113917e6ecd4a48.png

6. Before making a deposit you have to connect a gateway. On Home page click Connect a Gateway. Select a Currency (ETH) and click Confirm. You will receive an email once gateway confirms your account.

gatehub-step-5.png.57f984c4133e163b7c48a7ed2bed812f.png

gatehub-step-6.png.a79dcd0454d5c68f47ae6996526c716b.png

7. After gateway confirmed your account you can make a deposit by clicking Deposit / Receive button. To deposit ETH select the Ethereum (ETH) tab. Go to your Jaxx Wallet and deposit any amount using the information provided on the deposit screen. You will receive an email when deposit has been received.

That is it.

using-ethereum-to-buy-ripple.thumb.jpg.92045ecc94693e15d5eb063bb76dfc0b.jpg

Bonus you will get 20 Ripples when you open the account.

• Like 1

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

I am very glad you liked it. I think we need need a sub section dedicated to ripple. After I read a bit about it seems to be a real disruptor aimed specifically at banks.

Which I find interesting, because Bitcoin's whole philosophy is be your own bank and the ecosystem itself is completely anti-banking. (Talking about actual banks like ABSA, FNB, Capitec etc)

Thanks Spreadsheet Ranger! That was a big help. I took a slightly different approach and thought I'd share...

1) Sent BTC via Luno to GateHub;

2) Used BTC to buy/exchange XRP in GateHub;

Wish I did this a little earlier before the surge in XRP's price! Can you believe that XRP is almost double their last week's high ($15bil from $8bil) ?!?!

This is crazy! 

I think the big three are safe bets: BTC, XRP and ETR - but not sure who  the next contender will be? I like Golem and a few others...Anyone else have an opinion on a crypto currency thats under performing right now?

• 4 weeks later...

Is there much of a demand for Ripple in SA?

I don't think so, mainly because not a lot of people understand it yet, well rather South Africa have a lack of insight into the the crypto space, it's very new to people here compared to America and China.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi,

Hope you are all well.

I recently, a few weeks ago, completed signup of a Gate Hub and Luno accounts.

I am currently experiencing issues completing exchanges on my Gate Hub account. I bought some BTC and want to exchange that for XRP, when I start connecting to the XRP Gateway, nothing happens. The circle keeps spinning. I have contacted support but no one for back to me.

How do I exchange my BTC for XRP on Gate Hub?

I appreciate your assistance.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Platinum Wealth

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Spreadsheet Ranger! That was a big help. I took a slightly different approach and thought I'd share...

Wish I did this a little earlier before the surge in XRP's price! Can you believe that XRP is almost double their last week's high ($15bil from $8bil) ?!?!

This is crazy! 

I think the big three are safe bets: BTC, XRP and ETR - but not sure who  the next contender will be? I like Golem and a few others...Anyone else have an opinion on a crypto currency thats under performing right now?

I followed the tutorial to register on Gatehub but for the love of me am unable to send BTC from Luno to Gatehub to buy Ripple. Could you, or anyone else perhaps help me to do this?

Then also, is there a way to see what your XRP is worth in ZAR?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I am either extremely stupid today or something is wrong. I received my btc but when going to the exchange I am unable to buy xrp. I cannot select BTC to XRP and when selecting my hosted wallet it just gives an error message saying I need a Ripple wallet.

I am either extremely stupid today or something is wrong. I received my btc but when going to the exchange I am unable to buy xrp. I cannot select BTC to XRP and when selecting my hosted wallet it just gives an error message saying I need a Ripple wallet.

Which exchange are you referring to? 

I used shapeshift and it went smoother than expected.

• 2 months later...

Hi I`m new here. Here goes my first post.

I use the local altcointrader.co.za exchange. Initial reasons were that could fund my account doing EFT from any local bank account.

Once the funds are available, usually in 30 mins - 3 hours, I can buy of the available crypto currencies including XRP, BTC, ETH etc.

Once I bought the coins, I can withdraw any amount of the coins to my Kraken or Bittrex account. You would just need your XRP or BTC address on those or any other exchange that would accept the crypto deposit.

• 2 months later...

This is crazy! 

• 1 month later...