Your TFIA/TFSA

Bandit

I think i should have posted this in the stock watch thread my bad.

thinking for my decision on swop to prop over prefs

Prefs pay income (in the form of dividends or interest). Most of them are also assigned a rating by the major credit rating agencies. As a result, their prices are sensitive to interest rate changes and credit risk of the issuer.There is an inverse relationship between interest rates and the price of preferreds – as interest rates rise, prices are expected to fall.

This one GOVI ETF i was hoping to get more discussion on.

Government bonds are traditionally seen as a safe haven in turbulent times. This is largely because they are less volatile

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think i should have posted this in the stock watch thread my bad.

This one GOVI ETF i was hoping to get more discussion on.

Government bonds are traditionally seen as a safe haven in turbulent times. This is largely because they are less volatile

It looks pretty volatile to me, dropped badly with Pravingate...

nfgovi.JPG.21863721fa9fdda5e4827e7e0f3d54d1.JPG

I added it to my TFSA @ 5109 yesterday, when it looked like it was at the bottom, but my whole TFSA is dropping today except my STXIND is up 1%, where it was down 1.something% last week, weird

• 4 months later...

Sweet!

Thanks so much.

Pleasure :)

If I could give some of my limited knowledge, just make 100% sure it is something you want to do. ETFs are dangerous in terms of emotions and watching the market like a hawk. It should -actually- be something you buy and forget. I also would like to sell a few and buy others I made a mistake with but after some thought I'm just going to leave them and rather buy the new ones when the time comes. TFSA is a 10-year+ investment, try get rid of the emotions!

am starting to really wonder if our market is good for TFSA's. yes i chose the ETF's  1.5 to 2 years ago when TFSA was approved, and most was giving 18% plus per year at that time.

currently.. lets just say i cry every time i log into EE :o. Profit so far 2.75% (R60k of shares worth R61k)

etf_2_years.jpg

@JCM, you know what! You are correct. I am getting emotional, I am being short sighted here CTOP50 is a good ETF it will do good in the greater scheme of things I need to break this week by week mindset and remember that the TFSA is for retirement its 30 years away I must leave it alone.

I will buy NFEMOM and the CoreShares Preftrax next Tax year.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

am starting to really wonder if our market is good for TFSA's. yes i chose the ETF's  1.5 to 2 years ago when TFSA was approved, and most was giving 18% plus per year at that time.

currently.. lets just say i cry every time i log into EE :o. Profit so far 2.75% (R60k of shares worth R61k)

https://postimg.org/image/u6ivum2st/

Same boat! My TFSA CTOP50 is 2% up PTXTEN is 1.5% down

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

etf_2_years.jpg

A lot of duplication there. Example, you already have PTXTEN so why bother with PTXSPY? You have DBXWD so why bother with DBXUS?

Feel your pain though. STXDIV needs to reach R70,00 before I start making profit on it. DIVTRX is only now in positive territory and my DBXWD almost revovered.

IQ Test

Equities = High Risk , sadly....The risk is mitigated with time. If you want to grow in 2 years put it in a bank account :P

Even though it does hurt seeing your money disappearing, I agree. I constantly feel like I made a stupid mistake investing locally.

Out of curiosity, do you view dbx as local too?

In other words when you guys say not local do you literally mean another exchange, not the JSE?

In my view, kind of, yes. It is still rand denominated and the government still munches away on it with CGT in your TFSA as far as I know.

For me, offshore means physically moving it offshore. Although this isn't relevant in regards to your TFSA..thus a bit off topic :)

the government still munches away on it with CGT in your TFSA as far as I know.

Whaaaaat?

Foreign dividend tax and exchange control costs muches away at it but no CGT in your TFSA.

Unless something changed which I'm not aware of.

IQ Test

Well, I'll be honest I'll only be able to see when I get a dividend from DBXWD which I haven't yet. But I read this somewhere:

Section 64 (n) of the Income Tax Act provides for a rebate to be deducted from the local dividends tax payable in respect of a foreign dividend if that dividend was subject to foreign tax.

Thus it gets taxed there first?

Maybe someone that has received dividends can clear it up?

Well, I'll be honest I'll only be able to see when I get a dividend from DBXWD which I haven't yet. But I read this somewhere:

Section 64 (n) of the Income Tax Act provides for a rebate to be deducted from the local dividends tax payable in respect of a foreign dividend if that dividend was subject to foreign tax.

Thus it gets taxed there first?

Maybe someone that has received dividends can clear it up?

Can see it in the SENS. They're paying out $0.108 ... after all the foreign tax etc stuff is done it is down to $0.102 (IIRC... but something to that effect).

No further tax (any tax by our goverment) when it is inside a TFSA account.

IQ Test