Your ETF portfolio

Bandit

I'm interested to know why and how you chose the ETFs you did. Most of us probably went on a similar journey of buying, selling and settling on a few. Some of us might jump on the "latest and greatest", others might open a Google finance graph, zoom out to 5 or so years and see a general upward trend which is good enough for a buy.

So which ones do you own, do you know how they work, was it a mistake?

IQ Test

Guess it's only fair for me to start.

Currently, I hold DBXWD, PTXTEN, GLPROP, NFEMOM and DIVTRX.

Why DBXWD instead of CSP500: 

Simple, DBXWD gives me more exposure. CSP500 looks to be giving better dividends though, so maybe worth considering within my TFSA.

PTXTEN and GLPROP: 

Property exposure both domestic and foreign. I used to own the Standard Bank ETF that covered the whole property sector, but prefer the equal weighting of PTXTEN.

DIVTRX and NFEMOM: 

My domestic exposure. I make use of DIVTRX in my TFSA instead of NFEMOM because the jury is still out on which of these perform better in the long run when dividend reinvestment is factored in.

ETFs I'll never touch again: STXIND, GIVIND, GLD, NFSWIX

IQ Test

I currently own in my TFSA exactly as it is laid out here -> Platinum Wealth E-book

Then outside my TFSA I own the following ETFs:

Newfunds MAPPS

Deutsche Bank DbxJP

Deutsche Bank DbxEU

CoreShares PropTrax Ten

The first ETF I bought was STXIND and I bought it because I opened Google Finance and slate the time frame to MAX and saw 900% return. I bought it without a hesitation. 2016/17 taught me why past performance is an illusion.

I am going to sell my STXIND on 7500 cents and then either shift that money accross to my TFSA or I will buy more AXL/Taste other stocks on special #TreatYoSelf

I then discovered justonelap.com shortly after I bought that ETF and my all time favourite video became my investing religion:

[video=youtube]

I then bought the CSEW40 which I held for quite some time, but dropped in favour for NFEMOM in 2016.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Hi everyone. I am very new to the trading thing on just signed up today on here.

My first step into the share business was opening a FNB TFSA share saver account just before the end of February. Did not have alot of spare cash at the time so only did R10k. I will let that sit as there is not much I can do with it now, but has grown about 3% since then.

Since then I have delved a little bit into buying shares on EE. Currently I owe CSP500,DBXUS and STXIND in my EE TFSA. All together they are only about R11k.

I also have AXL, SGL, GLPROP, DBXWD in a normal EE account. Once again not a lot, about R10k all together.

Why I bought what I did? Well, because I was/am new at this and every time I read something on a forum or website I went and bought it. :-O. I would like to pretend after 2 months of dabbling I am a lot wiser, but probably not really.

I now want to transfer the rest of my yearly allowance into my EE TFSA account and looking at buying DBXwd and Nfemom and transfer my GLprop share from the normal EE account to the EE TFSA account. Was thinking of only put a few thousand in each and then every time the share prices drop by 0,5 or 1% to buy R500 or R1000 more to bring my averages down. Still need to work out if this is worthwhile or to just buy once of and be done with it. What would your suggestions be?

I also have a few thousand rand in bitcoins for whatever that may be worth.

I currently have a paid up Living annuity that pretty much suck at the moment and also once a year contribute to a RA but only really do it to bring my tax bill down. Money I get back from tax I then put into a FNB Money maximizer account where I currently have about two years salary saved in and getting 7,4% interest yearly. It is this money that I now use for the shares account hoping that I can somehow make a bit more than the 7,4% i currently get.

I currently have a day job working for the man, but also have a successful online business that is part of my retirement plans, but was thinking to either start another online business this year or do something else (not sure what yet).

Anyway, bottom line is I have some cash that I would like to invest, got bored with the usual thing and are now dabbling in shares a bit. :-) Any advice you guys can give would be appreciated.

/snip

Welcome :)

DBXUS and CSP500.... pick one (the latter) else you'll be paying yearly charges etc. for what is essentially the same thing.

With regards to lump sum or monthly contributions (Dollar Averaging it is called), there are people fighting for both sides of the argument. Some studies have shown that the lump sum investment works out better for you over time and results in better growth.

Unless you get a bonus though you almost never have a lump sum available because it's already invested (or spent :P ). Personally, I fund my TFSA and other investment accounts every month and do not really try and time the market or wait for a drop in price etc. I just buy and carry on with what I was doing. This way it becomes part of your monthly "expenses" and you are constantly saving and not moving money around unnecessarily.

IQ Test

My AA is between 75/25 and 80/20. The majority of my portfolio is offshore with active funds (mostly Orbis) and passive trackers (Vanguard/Blackrock), but I have some funds in SA (also split between active funds (Coronation, Allan Gray) and passive funds/ETFs.

In my SA ETF portfolio I went for a simple three fund portfolio with a buy/hold strategy:

DBXWD - 60%

PTXTEN - 20%

STXILB - 20%

I chose:

1. DBXWD over DBXUS for increased diversification and lower TER. I have a lot of US exposure in my overall portfolio, so I preferred to go a bit broader here. The Euro zone is currently struggling (as is Asia), but I still feel it is a better long term investment.

2. PTXTEN over PTXSPY (and similar listed property options from Stanlib and Satrix) due to liquidity/spread.  In my overall portfolio I have a smaller allocation to (mostly global) property, but since I went with a global equity fund as my core in this portfolio I increased the property allocation to get more SA exposure.

3. STXILB over the other listed ILB indexes based on EAC. Ashburton (ASHINF~0.5%) and Newfunds/ABSA (NFILBI, ~0.6%)

I didn't chose:

1. Narrow, sector specific ETFS (like INDI, FINI, etc) since I feel that they tilt or bias the portfolio too much. Not ideal for buy/hold. The inclusion of PTXTEN could be seen as breaking this rule, but property is a bit of a special case. Time will tell.

2. Local small holding/large cap index ETFs (like Top40, SWIX) since they are actually not that broad offer limited diversification. Active funds in 100% local equity are doing pretty well (Coronation Top20, Nedgroup Entrepeneur, etc.)

Couldn't agree more with your closing points. Except for property, I really don't like sector specific investing.

I also don't see what makes the top 40 "they're big for a reason" strategy so awesome, because that's what you are doing investing in a top40 and the like. The only exception being CTOP50 maybe since they cap the weightings.

I'm waiting for the rest of ABSA's (maybe a compeitor is working on one too?) "factor" ETFs to arrive alongside NFEMOM.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

IQ Test

I'm waiting for the rest of ABSA's (maybe a compeitor is working on one too?) "factor" ETFs to arrive alongside NFEMOM.

NFEMOM is an interesting one - I considered it for some local diversification. Compared to the Nedgroup Entrepeneur and Coronation Top20 funds it is doing exceptionally well, but with a much lower TER (over 5 years it lost less than 2% compared to NEDENTA and outperformed CORTP20). When the transaction costs are included though, NFEMOM feels VERY expensive for an ETF. In terms of holdings it is quite different from the two active funds I mentioned. NFEMOM is tilted towards basic materials/resources whereas NEDENTA is slightly more balanced (with regards to the other sectors: ~20% in Industrials, Consumer Services and Financials. 10% in Health Care and Consumer Goods). NEDENTA only has 2% in basic materials compared with 52% in NFEMOM. So it could be a nice supplement to NEDENTA - not a lot of overlap. I will look at it again next year.

The high TER ID because it rebalances monthly. It's resource heavy now because those are the guys that have been doing well. If the economy switches to industrials, so will it.

It's a very clever ETF, but one has to wonder how sustainable it is if everybody jumps on it. That's why a value and low volatility (other than the CoreShares one) ETF will be a very nice addition.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

IQ Test