Claiming wear and tear or depreciation as a salaried individual?

Fiddle

Hi Guys,

I will be purchasing a new laptop soon and was wondering if i will be able to depreciate a portion of it over 3 years considering the following:

• I am employed full time.
  • The laptop will be used for work 90% of the time

Has anyone here successfully claimed wear and tear on a personal laptop used for work? I was recently advised that salaried individuals cannot claim depreciation.

Yea I think the only way you can claim that is if you are freelancing or self employed? Might be wrong here.

Although according to this (https://www.taxtim.com/za/help/definition/wear-and-tear) you can claim it on your personal laptop, justifying how you came to the "90%" bit might be a bit more difficult.

The entry Wear and Tear Tax deduction on personal/work Laptop on Tax Tim is what originally got me thinking that it might be possible.

In that query the individual states that they are a full time employee. It seems that a letter from the company stating that the laptop is used for work purposes and an invoice is all that is required. 

I have not found anything from SARS explicitly stating that this cannot be done. Obviously if you receive an allowance for this sort of thing from your employee this would not be possible.

Mmmm, (Wear And Tear Depreciation Allowance - Sars) this is definitely allowed I too am just not clued up how the qualifying criteria works on this. Dammit we need a tax professional on here. Here is some vague info, but seems you need a degree in order to make sense of it -  Wear-and-tear or depreciation allowance

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

• 2 weeks later...

It used to be allowed 3-4 years ago - couple of guys at my office did it. Not sure if anything changed. Just keep in mind that your likelihood of being audited goes up, so get all your supporting documents (for everything) in order if you decide to go ahead with this.