Hello

Brendan

Hi all. I'm new at trading. Signed up with EasyEquities a while ago, but finally fica'd and deposited R1k for now. I have no idea what to do, but want to play around with this first deposit before I drop more cash.

I've joined here to hopefully gather some insight from more experienced members going forward.

Thanks all, happy trading.

Hi all. I'm new at trading. Signed up with EasyEquities a while ago, but finally fica'd and deposited R1k for now. I have no idea what to do, but want to play around with this first deposit before I drop more cash.

I've joined here to hopefully gather some insight from more experienced members going forward.

Thanks all, happy trading.

Hello Brendan, welcome to the forum!

I think the admin is currently writing an E-book for people new to investing on how to start out.

I think a safe start would be to climb into 1 or 2 ETFs to start out with. Here is a nice thread that I think would be able to present you with a few ETFs to chose from:

https://www.platinumwealth.co.za/forum/Thread-Advice-needed-for-starting-out-with-ETFs?pid=2682#pid2682

Ahoy Brendan,

All the best, I started with EE as well by using the demo account. Played around with that for a few months and then finally took the REAL plunge.

Been a roller coaster ride since then, but happy to report that I've been in the green for the most part and still am.

The key is to diversify, don't throw all your hard earned money into one share, that is very risky i.m.o

Happy hunting :)

Thanks for the information so far. Much appreciated.

I had also toyed with the Demo money for a bit, I had put an amount into Kumba Iron Ore months back, and its sitting with a 346% profit. If only that was real hey?

I'll be cautious going forward and will not do anything stupid. Hopefully.

Kumbo has burnt me badly so many times and naturally I finally gave up and sold everything at a loss, only for it to start climbing a few weeks later, reaching 500% growth shortly after.

So yes, investing can suck a lot if you keep thinking back to the "what if's"

Thanks for the information so far. Much appreciated.

I had also toyed with the Demo money for a bit, I had put an amount into Kumba Iron Ore months back, and its sitting with a 346% profit. If only that was real hey?

I'll be cautious going forward and will not do anything stupid. Hopefully.

One note of caution, however I am sure you know that.

Some sectors should not be considered for people starting out. Most notably, Resources. Do not touch those with your real money until you are comfortable with cyclical stocks and consciously understand that those are not buy and hold stocks.

==

Welcome to the forum as well :)

Kumbo has burnt me badly so many times and naturally I finally gave up and sold everything at a loss, only for it to start climbing a few weeks later, reaching 500% growth shortly after.

So yes, investing can suck a lot if you keep thinking back to the "what if's"

Sorry to hear about this, I do understand the "highs" and "lows" involved just as your example. Hopefully you recovered elsewhere.

One note of caution, however I am sure you know that.

Some sectors should not be considered for people starting out. Most notably, Resources. Do not touch those with your real money until you are comfortable with cyclical stocks and consciously understand that those are not buy and hold stocks.

==

Welcome to the forum as well :)

Thank you for this advice however small you think it is, may well open a door for me to research and understand further. :)

Yes indeed, on the rare occasion it's better to let go, even at a loss, to rather spend your energy and time on something else in order to recover your losses.

It's not always that easy, not knowing what will come next or happen later down the line.