Share Trading Platforms and Brokers

Aeonian

What platforms are you guys using to trade shares on? What are the pros and cons? What is the most cost effective platform that provides you with historical data, key ratios and forecasts?

Currently EasyEquities seems to be the cheapest at around 0.62% of your trade. The only downside being that you can only trade at market price which seems alright if you are a long term investor. No company data

EasyEquities costs - monthly fee R0

2105973585_EEcosts.png.96da36e92f0be232f4aee399e266e5a1.png

Compared to the FNB share investor the costs are almost halved - monthly fee R59 - minimal company data

332569581_FNBsharetradingcosts.png.b7a4757a8ad85bf433ae0a8b8839884f.png

Both of these do not provide any financials, key ratios or forecast data for research purposes.

I believe Standard bank OST provides this data but the monthly fee is R90

Any thoughts?

Personally I use EasyEquities I switched over from PSG due to the fees at the time, I do miss the market research, but that is why I now hang on forums I tend to get a good amount of scoop here. 

I want to start looking into trading @Leigh really got me interested. So I am thinking of starting with GT247 given how nice EasyEquities is, then I will head over and try IG Markets if I become better than average as I think the overall value would be better with IG given their extensive research and resources they make available.

Conclusion for a investor who buys and holds I think EasyEquities is unmatched and seen in the same light as Capitec is to the banking industry imo.

@Hamster uses Absa as well I think, perhaps he can shed some light on their fees too.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Personally I use EasyEquities I switched over from PSG due to the fees at the time, I do miss the market research, but that is why I now hang on forums I tend to get a good amount of scoop here. 

I want to start looking into trading @Leigh really got me interested. So I am thinking of starting with GT247 given how nice EasyEquities is, then I will head over and try IG Markets if I become better than average as I think the overall value would be better with IG given their extensive research and resources they make available.

Conclusion for a investor who buys and holds I think EasyEquities is unmatched and seen in the same light as Capitec is to the banking industry imo.

@Hamster uses Absa as well I think, perhaps he can shed some light on their fees too.

I agree on EasyEquities, I also use them but still have my FNB share investor acc. I am also looking to assign a portion of my portfolio for active trading. I'm currently looking into IG for CFDs and Standard Bank OST for the access to the financial data.

@Spreadsheet Ranger

Have a look at Simon Browns website https://justonelap.com/

He has some very useful webinars and videos and you can also see what he holds in his portfolio https://www.simonbrown.co.za/

He also has an IG series on trading. I'm still making my way through these

I agree on EasyEquities, I also use them but still have my FNB share investor acc. I am also looking to assign a portion of my portfolio for active trading. I'm currently looking into IG for CFDs and Standard Bank OST for the access to the financial data.

@Spreadsheet Ranger

Have a look at Simon Browns website https://justonelap.com/

He has some very useful webinars and videos and you can also see what he holds in his portfolio https://www.simonbrown.co.za/

He also has an IG series on trading. I'm still making my way through these

Avid follower of Justonelap.com myself absolutely love what they are doing. Look here Aeonian - @Kristia and sir @SimonPB

Side note welcome to the forum, only realized now this is your first post/thread hope you enjoy your stay.

I use EasyEquities for regular share buying (because I don't do huge amounts) as they are the cheapest. I also use them for my TFSA.

ABSA I use their ETF Only account. At a certain point (we worked it out before) an ETF trade on ABSA becomes cheaper than EE. Plus you have a ton more control over the buying and selling price and no EE to "babysit" and limit your moves (whether that is good or bad is up to you).

I might move my TFSA to ABSA though. Reason being that although EasyEquities is a fantastic platform, I prefer knowing exactly at what price I'm buying and selling at. They also seem to be tracking my portfolio amounts better. For example, my TFSA account has lost R3000 due to costs and selling at a loss, EE doesn't show that though.

Another plus for ABSA is the layout - it looks financial. I have a detailed list and can see exactly what I bought, how much I've lost/gained, the percentage allocation of each holding within the portfolio. EE has the whole candy crush saga pink square box thing going.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

EDIT:

absa.png

IQ Test

Avid follower of Justonelap.com myself absolutely love what they are doing. Look here Aeonian - @Kristia and sir @SimonPB

Side note welcome to the forum, only realized now this is your first post/thread hope you enjoy your stay.

*blush*

So, I'm still at Easy Equities too, although Absa is cheaper in the ETF only space. I'm too lazy to FICA, which I'm not proud of, but there it is. I'm starting to feel frustrated around data on EE, but if I don't mess around I only transact once or twice a year. It's a fire and forget frustration.

Active trading is becoming more and more alluring to me too. I have to talk myself out of it all the time, because I like money. EE is a good platform for active trading with little money, because of the fractional share allowance. I might start there eventually. I like that I can't gear on EE. IG is too sexy for me still.

• Like 1

+1 for ABSA, have my TFSA and an ETF Only account with them. No monthly fees, opening both accounts was a breeze and I like their portal.

My main portfolio is with Thebe Securities, there were pretty cheap and had no minimum amount when I started with them years ago. But their portal has a pretty bad user experience, and i've been looking to move my portfolio to another broker for a while now, just never got around to doing it.

+1 for ABSA, have my TFSA and an ETF Only account with them. No monthly fees, opening both accounts was a breeze and I like their portal.

My main portfolio is with Thebe Securities, there were pretty cheap and had no minimum amount when I started with them years ago. But their portal has a pretty bad user experience, and i've been looking to move my portfolio to another broker for a while now, just never got around to doing it.

Stanlib

Slowly (and I really mean frustratingly slow) but surely they're updating their portal site.

IQ Test

No mention of Sharenet on here?

WHY TRADE SHARES WITH SHARENET?

http://www.sharenetsecurities.co.za/securities/costs.php

Simple 0.3% flat brokerage fee

User friendly and intuitive online platform

Live price snap shots or streaming prices*

Market depth volume and price data*

Stop losses

Fast direct market access

Secure, separate Broker Dealer Account

Free SMS and/or email notifications

Research - Broker Consensus Forecasts*

Avoid additional costs and easily manage multiple portfolios from one account

Email and telephone support

No mention of Sharenet on here?

WHY TRADE SHARES WITH SHARENET?

http://www.sharenetsecurities.co.za/securities/costs.php

Simple 0.3% flat brokerage fee

User friendly and intuitive online platform

Live price snap shots or streaming prices*

Market depth volume and price data*

Stop losses

Fast direct market access

Secure, separate Broker Dealer Account

Free SMS and/or email notifications

Research - Broker Consensus Forecasts*

Avoid additional costs and easily manage multiple portfolios from one account

Email and telephone support

What are those asterisks? Ie what additional costs do they hide.

Then out of curiosity, do they have a minimum buy in or can I buy R100 worth of shares and I only pay 0.3%?

There is a R110 minimum charge unfortunately and I guess you pay x amount for every live price lookup

Anyways, if I buy/sell R100 000 worth of shares on EE and Sharenet, the total costs would be

EE = buy R620.72 Sell R370.73 = R991.45

Sharenet = buy R 605.43 Sell R 355.43 = R960.86

So according to those figures Sharenet is slightly cheaper than EE, not sure at which figure the table starts turning though.

• 5 weeks later...

Online stockbroker fees, compared.

The ABSA fees are different depending on which accounts you add to your profile. Only the Smart Account (and managed accounts) have a monthly fee. The TFSA, ETF Only and Worldtrader work on brokerage and custodian fees. So if you don't want to buy ordinary shares on the JSE you don't need the Smart Account. I recently started using the ABSA platform and although it is not as polished as Standard Bank's it is pretty decent and cost effective for my investment "style".

The ABSA fees are different depending on which accounts you add to your profile. Only the Smart Account (and managed accounts) have a monthly fee. The TFSA, ETF Only and Worldtrader work on brokerage and custodian fees. So if you don't want to buy ordinary shares on the JSE you don't need the Smart Account. I recently started using the ABSA platform and although it is not as polished as Standard Bank's it is pretty decent and cost effective for my investment "style".

What do you buy/trade what is your style?

What I want to do is buy and sell stock like on EasyEquities, but I want the ability to short stocks. I had a look at GT247, but I will buy anyone a bottle of wine who can figure out what goes on there.

Then I looked at IG markets, but I am also not really sure what applies to me.

I do not want geared positions or anything, just the ability to short a stock.

Easy Equities would be perfect if we could add a stop loss, put in a bid instead of whatever delayed price we get to buy, and short (CFD), but using the same interface witht the added abilities. I am willing to pay a little extra to activate these features....

Anyone from Easy Equities here? Can you give feedback?

Gt247 and IG..... Don't like it....

"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"