Share Trading Platforms and Brokers

Aeonian

Easy Equities would be perfect if we could add a stop loss, put in a bid instead of whatever delayed price we get to buy, and short (CFD), but using the same interface witht the added abilities. I am willing to pay a little extra to activate these features....

Anyone from Easy Equities here? Can you give feedback?

Gt247 and IG..... Don't like it....

I don't think EE wants that risk. When I was at Standard Bank, if the stop loss failed or something the bank was liable for the losses.

For a TFSA and ETFs you can do this on ABSA which in some cases are cheaper (apologies if I'm repeating myself, losing track of all these threads).

IQ Test

I'm probably dumping EE as my TFSA provider come March when we can move. Already using ABSA for my ETF portfolio and just a way better fit for me.

I probably will also make the move away from EE for the TFSA - after using EE's for the last two years, am really enjoying trading with ABSA's. That said, am moving my capital gains portfolio over from ABSA to EE, but keeping the larger property portfolio with ABSA. I have also been doing a bit of trading using my ABSA account and have so far been relatively successful - not so with my GT247 and CFD's where I constantly seem to loose money - nothing to do with them though.

What do you buy/trade what is your style?

What I want to do is buy and sell stock like on EasyEquities, but I want the ability to short stocks. I had a look at GT247, but I will buy anyone a bottle of wine who can figure out what goes on there.

Then I looked at IG markets, but I am also not really sure what applies to me.

I do not want geared positions or anything, just the ability to short a stock.

Have look at Sharenet. I registered for a demo account last night, been playing with it for the day. I like it more than GT247, not to mention IG.

Looks like you need to register a different account for CFD's though, which I have not done yet.

I will register an Absa demo account and see which I prefer. Then I will bid Easy equities farewell....

"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

What do you buy/trade what is your style?

Buy and hold without a monthly account/platform fee. ABSA worldtrader allows you to deposit foreign currency directly without incurring conversion fees and also facilitates the registration for globetax to claim back 10% on dividend withholding tax charged for my US portfolio. So the actual platform is overkill for what I want, but the entire solution is actually pretty decent (strange for ABSA to get something right).

For the beginner trader with under R50k and only risking a max 2% and wanting to use CFDs - hard to beat GT247's offering. Besides 0.1% in and out, NO MINIMUM - makes a massive difference. The graphing package though, is less than useless - so it will depend on your trading system/style. As more a swing trader, it's not a problem for me, but for those that need intraday charts you might want to find a better charting software.

Should also add, absa stockbrokings charting package is also useless. Actually far worse than GT247's.

IG (i think) 0.2% in and out plus R100 minimum on CFD's (maybe not indices?) - lovely chart systems - trade off the charts - but you going to want to at least start with R50K plus - probably R100K really.

Easy Equities is pathetic. The trading halt on Tawana has been lifted, but only availbale to buy on instruction on Easy Equities. It took them about 2 days to realize there was a trading halt, so I guess I can't expect it to be otherwise now.

Anyway, will be moving on to a better platform next week.

"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

• 3 weeks later...

So: https://invest.coreshares.co.za/

1) They've got the pie graph EasyEquities don't want to implement :P

2) Impressive costs

3) Only CoreShare ETFs

No 3 is a bit of a problem, BUT considering I only need to replace my DBXWD and NFEMOM with a CoreShare "equivalent" (CSP500, CTOP50) it's actually something I'd consider. Not sure what the rest of your's portfolios look like, but most of my ETFs are theirs anyway.

Who's gonna take it for spin and give us feedback?

IQ Test

OK, I'll test it. Since Sign up and FICA took all of 30 minutes.

You can choose lump sum or monthly debit order.

Cost?

Amount: R1000

Total costs for this transaction ?

Brokerage: R1.00

STRATE: R5.00

VAT: R0.84

Estimated total fees for this investment: R6.00

Estimated total value of investment (less fees)

R994.00

Trading Prices?

ETFs are traded once a day, so the price at which you invest will differ slightly from day to day.

IQ Test

And after transferring funds/placing an order:

"You have successfully placed an order for R1000.00 of CoreShares S&P500. Your dashboard will reflect this trade as pending until it is settled.

The trade should be complete within 3 to 7 working days."

So now we wait.

So the one negative thing so far is that you have no (even less than on EE?) over the prices of your investments. For long term passive and consistent investing it could work, for a more active approach I'd still look at ABSA.

IQ Test

Someone should do a cost comparison are they cheaper than EE when buying their products or do they have products on there not available on EE?

I did a quick one on MyBroadband but only for a lump sum of R20k. Very basic and maybe too simplistic, anyway:

@ 7% pa growth, EE wins buy a couple of bucks

@ 8% pa growth, they break even

A more realistic example would be monthly investments and imo CoreShares transaction costs will save enough to offset the 0.3% pa charge.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

IQ Test

Invest: R1000

Total Cost CS: R6.00

Total Cost EE: R3.14

Invest: R10,000

Total Cost CS: R10.00

Total Cost EE: R31.28

Invest R20,000

Total Cost CS: R20.00

Total Cost EE: R62.54

*EasyMoney makes EE a bit cheaper than the above. But only if you have some.

IQ Test

So there's an issue with the way they calculate STRATE fees. Said they'd get back to me but now we'll see.

Still think ABSA is better (I've got their ETF Only account, waiting for TFSA transfers to be approved).

22% up - you lucky bastid. My TFSA took a knock and I've only recovered now :(

IQ Test

Total Cost CS: R6.00

Total Cost EE: R3.14

Total Cost CS: R10.00

Total Cost EE: R31.28

Invest R20,000

Total Cost CS: R20.00

Total Cost EE: R62.54

*EasyMoney makes EE a bit cheaper than the above. But only if you have some.  

Would you use coreshare's over EE concidering although the cost seems matched, Coreshares charges a platform percentage fee per year (So not a fan since this is the thing EE fought against).

Then also keeping in mind with EE you have access to a lot more than just ETFs including coreshare's etfs

The CoreShares platform seems ...buggy ...well at least wrt to the STRATE fees issue. What's worse is that the platform has been going for more than a month and they haven't picked it up yet (or their call enter staff is uninformed or something).

That trade I placed on Wednesday still hasn't resulted in an actual trade. Now this is probably because of the way they're keeping costs down...but still.

Their FAQ covers everything but not the stuff I want to know. It's difficult to get some of the info I want.

So although I was optimistic at first, the luster has gone. The fact that I don't trust their technical ability (hard referesh the site after you logged in results in it asking you to login again for example) doesn't help at all.

A good idea rushed maybe? I'll leave my R1000 there and see how it goes but ABSA is still the platform to beat imo.

IQ Test

CoreShares fixed their bug. I saw it per chance just now, they never bothered calling back. Anyway, new fees comparison:

Total Cost CoreShares: R11.92

Total Cost EasyEquites: R3.14

Total Cost ABSA: R 35.01

Total Cost CoreShares: R20.92

Total Cost EasyEquities: R31.28

Total Cost ABSA: R35.03

Invest R20,000

Total Cost CoreShares: R30.92

Total Cost EasyEquities: R62.54

Total Cost ABSA: R57.67

ABSA has limit orders though which means that if you are patient enough you could get a good deal by buying at a lower price than you would on EasyEquities or CoreShares.

IQ Test

• 4 months later...

Sanlam iTrade was not even mentioned on here. That is the way I was heading to. Great thread so thanks for all the contributions. ABSA and EE seem to have the edge.

We had another thread somewhere here about Sanlam iTrade, brilliant platform when you compare to that range. Here is a cost breakdown of them - https://www.sanlamitrade.co.za/w/OurCosts.aspx also Standard Bank OST https://securities.standardbank.co.za/ost/