Sign in to follow this  
Taurus1

RA vs SA ETF's

44% of my monthly investments goes into RA’s and 56% into ETF's.

Major portion of all RA’s are invested in the SA stock market.  In in my local ETF portfolio I have monthly investments in Satrix Quality SA (2000.00), Coreshares SA Property Income (1500.00) and a TFSA in Satrix Divi Plus (1375.00).

As RA’s are heavily invested in SA, should I terminate my monthly investments in all SA ETF’s and increase my contributions to Satrix MSCI World and Coreshares Global DivTrax.

That is what I am currently doing. I am slowly reducing my Unit Trusts portfolio (mainly SA) and moving the funds into the 2 ETF's you mention : MSCI and Glodiv

On 2/6/2020 at 1:28 PM, VINNIE said:

That is what I am currently doing. I am slowly reducing my Unit Trusts portfolio (mainly SA) and moving the funds into the 2 ETF's you mention : MSCI and Glodiv

I eventually spoke to a Financial Adviser who agreed with my strategy to diversify offshore.

• Like 1

So an update - when the markets started crashing again I cashed out everything I could (TFSA, other ETF portfolios etc). It may not be the smartest move but given that I don't do this professionally, don't watch the markets all day, use 15 min delayed pricing and have the exact opposite type of people also trying to take my money I thought it best. Let stuff settle and then we'll get back in even if it means losing out a bit.

What I could not do anything about is my RA. Luckily I cashed out my pension recently when I changed jobs, but to tell Allan Gray to convert my entire RA to cash would probably mean filling out a form, emailing it, make a follow up telephone call etc. if it is even an option.

Net result - my RA is down 16%. It is a lost cause, by far the worst investment I ever made and I'm sitting here wondering if it is even worth it to continue with it. I'm confident I can make up 16% by myself when the time is right using offshore bonds, ETFs etc. but to get an RA with 70% SA shares to to recover by 16% - sounds like a long drawn out and "be patient" affair.

IQ Test