2020 Savings Challenge

Bandit

Thanks to @Njabulo Nsibande who created this how-to thread: 

The basic idea is this:

• Every month has a number: January = 1, February = 2, March = 3 .... December = 12
  • You decide on a multiplier number, let's say: 2
  • You decide on a base amount of money: R100
  • Every month you take the month's number and multiply it by the multiplier and the base Rand amount. The result you save into a savings account.

Example 1:

Multiplier: 1

Base Rand amount: R50

• Jan (1) x multiplier (1) x base amount (R50) = 1 x 1 x R50 = 1 x R50 = R50
  • Feb (2) x multiplier (1) x base amount (R50) = 2 x 1 x R50 = 2 x R50 = R100
  • Dec (12) x multiplier (1) x base amount (R50) = 12 x 1 x R50 = 12 x R50 = R600

Example 2:

Multiplier: 2

Base Rand amount: R100

• Jan (1) x multiplier (2) x base amount (R100) = 1 x 2 x R100 = 2 x R100 = R200
  • Feb (2) x multiplier (2) x base amount (R100) = 2 x 2 x R100 = 4 x R100 = R400
  • Dec (12) x multiplier (2) x base amount (R100) = 12 x 2 x R100 = 24 x R100 = R2400

Let's use this thread to track our progress for 2020 and see if we can meet our targets. Maybe those who want to participate can tell us and if you feel comfortable the amounts you have chosen.

• Like 1

IQ Test

To work out your projected savings before interest (in other words the amount you'll put away):

Multiplier x Rand Amount x 78 = ?

1 x R100 x 78 = R7 800 after 12 months

2 x R100 x 78 = R15 600 after 12 months

3 x R200 x 78 = R46 800 after 12 months (hello, this is good chunk of money) 

• Like 1

IQ Test

Don't mess with the formula. It's meant to be difficult close to the end else what are we doing here? It is designed to foster a culture of saving. If you are fortunate enough to have your financial affairs in order you'll be saving a flat amount every month. There's not reason to change anything.

Commit some values, even if it is "play" money and play the game.

• Like 1

IQ Test

16 minutes ago, SaurusDNA said:

But I'll play the game then with something small. Thinking of buying NFGOVI as the savings tool rather than a bank account, since it's returning around 10% in yields at the moment.

That's not a bad idea actually: shares. I may rethink my entry 😛

If you use the Easy Equities platform you'll be able to buy for less (partial shares).

• Like 1

IQ Test

• 1 month later...

Since I may not get a chance tomorrow (and the fact that the JSE will be closed), I started my challenge today. I've set the bar a bit high so that it is a challenge and will try source the funds from my salary and other income every month and not use other savings for it (else what is the point):

R400 x month cash via TymeBank

R400 x month equities via EasyEquities

• Like 1

IQ Test

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, I started the year with a savings challenge too - I started with R10 in week 1, R20 in week 2, R30 in week 3 etc. straight into a Tyme bank account that I opened for that purpose. Was getting 9% earlier this year, now 6%. Still going strong - haven't missed a weekly payment yet.

Edited by SaurusDNA
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:20 AM, Spreadsheet Ranger said:

How did the interest rates killed it? (What magic am I missing)

Interest rates in the interest bearing are so low that it wasn't worth it for me.

Market crash killed it for the investment version of it. Just a kark year 😛

IQ Test

On 10/16/2020 at 1:13 PM, Bandit said:

Interest rates in the interest bearing are so low that it wasn't worth it for me.

Okey, I get that bit, but where did you put the money or are you just spending it on everyday stuff now instead?

I am going to approach this as a 50% Black Friday fund in case a big ticket item like a bed or Fridge or something is on special. 

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

On 10/20/2020 at 5:11 PM, Spreadsheet Ranger said:

Okey, I get that bit, but where did you put the money or are you just spending it on everyday stuff now instead?

Investing it still. But it made no sense to continue with it. Next year again :)

IQ Test