What do you do to make extra income?

LentilSoup

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for some stories and suggestions of how you make extra income outside of your "normal" line of work.

Recently bought a house on my own, and I'm struggling a bit to live relatively comfortably as much of my salary is pretty much absorbed for mortage, bills and living expenses. Always have very little savings even with virtually no car expenses, never going out to expensive restaurants/clubs, electing to cook at home versus going out and not buying much else than house repairs.

What kind of ways have you previously and/or currently do that were able to make you some extra ronds?

Hey LentilSoup! Welcome to the forum. Totally get it, 2016/17 has been a tough year and this one seems to be the same with prices just going up and up.

Predominately for me it was overtime. Worked almost any and all overtime that was available to earn more money.

That actually is a good topic to focus on as I'm sure a lot of us could use extra money and perhaps we can exchange ideas and ways to generate extra income streams other than our normal jobs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Completely agree.

Well, some weekends I built websites for people just normal brochure style sites nothing too fancy, but they pay good money and seem to really like the personal service instead of working with a fully fledged agency.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

It occurred to me one day that the reason small business owners are late in getting web sites up is the high initial investment.

I met so many business owners who wanted to be selling more, attracting more clients, and taking their business to the next level—but felt hamstrung by the high initial investment a new site can require. They were stuck with an old web site that had once been state of the art, but now was out of date, didn’t meet their needs, and in many cases had become just plain embarrassing.

Then it occurred to me: why not provide a solution where people can rent a web site, and do away with that large initial expense.

That is where my new web rent-a-site program came to fruition.

I used to buy stuff from classifieds like Cape Ads this was before Gumtree and the likes. Then I would sell it at a slight markup poor man's trading I suppose, but it bought a few fancy dinners here and there. I had a good margin on refrigerators had a small Bakkie and a friend's storage (Unused garage) I would search for good refrigerators, but on special examples would be restaurant auctions and people moving flats, but they cannot ship the fridge back to JHB for instance so they sell it for very cheap to just get rid of it.

I still think there is money to be made in buying and selling second hand goods.

Really insightful ideas. Been thinking for offering bookkeeping services to small businesses but i have challenge how i will market the service. Website or classified ad not sure which will work.

I definitely think both has their place.

If you have a domain name I'll create your website for you, for free.

Assuming you don't have any advanced functionality requirements. I'll host it for you as well with a ssl certificate.

Call it a formatee special

Really insightful ideas. Been thinking for offering bookkeeping services to small businesses but i have challenge how i will market the service. Website or classified ad not  sure which will work.

This might work quite well, considering this is a skilled service not anyone can do it so the barrier to entry which you already meet might be able to make your competition a lot less.

Really insightful ideas. Been thinking for offering bookkeeping services to small businesses but i have challenge how i will market the service. Website or classified ad not  sure which will work.

Direct marketing will work best for this. Define who you want to target and go at them directly. Work on a document that sets you apart from others and communicate this to them. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I recently started doing freelance work using the Upwork website. Did 2 small projects for a US company. Worked well, except for when payment rolls around. I don't have an international bank account, making payment a bit more tedious, luckily they were willing to pay into my Paypal account, so the money is just sitting there for now. I think if you really give it a bash you can get quite a few projects on the website, seeing as you get rated by the clients as-well. Higher ratings = more jobs (i hope)

I recently started doing freelance work using the Upwork website. Did 2 small projects for a US company. Worked well, except for when payment rolls around. I don't have an international bank account, making payment a bit more tedious, luckily they were willing to pay into my Paypal account, so the money is just sitting there for now. I think if you really give it a bash you can get quite a few projects on the website, seeing as you get rated by the clients as-well. Higher ratings = more jobs (i hope)

Is this in a particular skill or general, the problem I find with these website is I often end up competing with a Indian kid who just want to put food on the table so he comes in at like $2 for a large job and then I just leave it.

I think a website like that aimed specifically for South Africans would be quite amazing as it will all be rand value.

Is this in a particular skill or general, the problem I find with these website is I often end up competing with a Indian kid who just want to put food on the table so he comes in at like $2 for a large job and then I just leave it.

I think a website like that aimed specifically for South Africans would be quite amazing as it will all be rand value.

Particular skill I suppose. I try to target US companies, as I know they don't really make use of quantity surveyors, thus making my proposal a niche one to building contractors. I mostly compete with Australian guys, but due to the exchange rate i am mostly able to undercut them. A few US dollars gets me a lot further than it would a Aussie.

Particular skill I suppose. I try to target US companies, as I know they don't really make use of quantity surveyors, thus making my proposal a niche one to building contractors. I mostly compete with Australian guys, but due to the exchange rate i am mostly able to undercut them. A few US dollars gets me a lot further than it would a Aussie.

Ahhh yea that would work! People myself included tend to forget the online world does contain only developers and content writers, but also have other real world skills like building a server room's building.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I like this idea, I wonder how profitable they really are: http://veldmuis.co.za/services/

So they basically distribute 5000 of these little booklets (http://veldmuis.co.za/editions/) every friday for free, asking for companies to advertise in the booklets. 

I like this idea, I wonder what printing 5000 8 page booklets costs?

• 2 weeks later...

Need someone to fix my wordpress site www.brosengraving.co.za

The design company that did the site has gone under and the site hasn't been maintained since then.

Probably need some updates installed and security features needs some beefing up since we've had some hacking attempts and think one might have gotten access.

I'm currently trying to prevent further access, which is kinda difficult considering I have no idea how this stuff works :P

Drop me a PM

Need someone to fix my wordpress site www.brosengraving.co.za

The design company that did the site has gone under and the site hasn't been maintained since then.

Probably need some updates installed and security features needs some beefing up since we've had some hacking attempts and think one might have gotten access.

I'm currently trying to prevent further access, which is kinda difficult considering I have no idea how this stuff works :P

Drop me a PM

Seems you got sorted, yay forum power.