Everything Resources

Spreadsheet Ranger

I thought it might be good to have a thread dedicated to Resources and resource related stocks.

I was inspired by this tweet - https://twitter.com/Richards_Karin/status/828947904123588608

Many ignore resources because they were up >100% last year. Fact is that major cyclical up-trends last at least 2 to 3 years. Not one.

Use this thread to discuss Resource spot prices and Resource stocks.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Resource related stocks has bitten me in the ass so many times before, which wouldn't have been the case if I stuck it out for a few months longer each time.

The likes of Kumba (KIO) ,Glencore (GLN), Harmony (HAR), Sibanye (SGL) , DRDGOLD (DRD) ,African Rainbow Minerals (ARI), Jubilee (JBL) and lets not forget Lonmin (LON) has given me many highs and lows over the years.

Since then I have trimmed back almost all resource related stocks, apart from PPC (not sure if that's considered resources though)

Resource related stocks has bitten me in the ass so many times before, which wouldn't have been the case if I stuck it out for a few months longer each time.

The likes of Kumba (KIO) ,Glencore (GLN), Harmony (HAR), Sibanye (SGL) , DRDGOLD (DRD) ,African Rainbow Minerals (ARI), Jubilee (JBL) and lets not forget Lonmin (LON) has given me many highs and lows over the years.

Since then I have trimmed back almost all resource related stocks, apart from PPC (not sure if that's considered resources though)

Hahahaha Definitely, but these are the stocks you "trade" so to speak. NOT long term buy and hold stocks.

Example KIO, If I was wise and bought them a year ago:

2017-02-02_8-55-55.jpg.77e8886c2e9cc67edfabfb398de12547.jpg

Question is, will KIO hit R500 bucks if I climb in at R180

I had KIO last year @ R90, but then it kept on falling and falling, so eventually just pulled the plug @ R75 (lots a big chunk there, but have made it all back eventually elsewhere)

By far the biggest mistake I have made thus far and not one I will be making again anytime soon as I've learnt to be patient since then.

That being said, I have vowed never to put anything into KIO again, regardless of how juicy it looks.

What is the thoughts on Platinum?

Seems to be at a low and might pick up?

Year-5-chart.png.b6721ac3ea608bf30d9961377f738165.png

Wonder if we will see $1,155 per ounce (R15 550)

What are the platinum stocks besides Implats, lonmin and Anglo?

I am thinking of getting into Anglo American Platinum for the next 16 months (Going long on platinum)

2017-02-07_19-46-07.png.f87b673685b3de2f016be5d8ef75d3a4.png

I have implats,  been up and down,  but will stick it out.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

Certainly interesting concidering the current levels, but the overall image of implats to me looks like a failing business, I am new to resources so I am still struggling to make any sense of this sector since it just raises one red flag after the next in my brain :) 

I am such a noob still!

2017-02-07_21-59-05.png.6c14adaaf381d2d79506506cfe39825d.png

2017-02-07_21-53-30.thumb.png.77cae5083c107e8d1efc8b4126f7e078.png

AFAIK Implats have Zimbabwe ties, so I personally wont touch them.

Anglo American Platinum will probably be the better choice if I had to pick, or maybe Royal Bofokeng

But why go with platinum and not rather steel? ArcelorMittal South Africa Limited is gagging for growth currently, specially now with government promising to use them as a supplier for all steel related projects and imposing the 10% duty on all steel imports, which should help them even more.

Their share price is at it's lowest it's been since forever.

Anglo American Platinum will probably be the better choice if I had to pick, or maybe Royal Bofokeng

But why go with platinum and not rather steel? ArcelorMittal South Africa Limited is gagging for growth currently, specially now with government promising to use them as a supplier for all steel related projects and imposing the 10% duty on all steel imports, which should help them even more.

When people refer to steel are you in fact talking about the Iron Ore price?

I get so confused with this because I never see steel charts 

Example: http://www.infomine.com/investment/metal-prices/

Iron Ore and Steel are two completely different things.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/commodity/steel

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/commodity/iron-ore

Well Iron ore is used to create steel so of the two I would rather invest in Iron Ore ie Kumba?

Well Iron ore is used to create steel so of the two I would rather invest in Iron Ore ie Kumba?

I feel Kumba has peaked, it's already grown 500% in just over a year or so, why on earth would it go even higher?

Kumba Iron Ore Ltd: Further Gains Are Underway

time.png 1 February 2017 Moxima Gama

BOTTOM LINE: KIO has broken out of its long-term bear trend

(Click image to enlarge)

image01_010217(2)sm.jpg

Possible scenario:

We had recommended a long position in November last year, and KIO confirmed a positive breakout of its inverted head and shoulders pattern above 13,300cps. After testing our first target at 17,710cps, we suggested investors close positions because the 3-week RSI was overbought - and then go long on a recovery.

Our second target was at 19,965cps, and KIO is trading above that level. Despite the overbought RSI, we expect KIO to trade towards 25,835cps, so stay long or go long.

Alternative scenario:

Close positions on a reversal below 15,260cps. Downside to - and possibly through - 13,300cps could ensue.

Just a question, what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest, do you rather put R500 into 3 shares, or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons, if the major stock does well then so do you, but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

Just a question,  what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest,  do you rather put R500 into 3 shares,  or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons,  if the major stock does well then so do you,  but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have 3 stocks that I put money in each month DbxWD, KAP and DIVTRX

Then I have stocks that I buy when the price looks nice example: MTN, TAS etc.

So essentially my long term for retirement I have a set amount I invest each month split evenly and then the other stocks  I play around with depending on price some month only one gets money other months 2 or 3 gets money like if both TAS and MTN is cheap according to me.

Just a question,  what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest,  do you rather put R500 into 3 shares,  or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons,  if the major stock does well then so do you,  but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have a set lump sum that I play with, most of it is usually tide down by a few shares, then the remaining amount I toss around with things that tickle my fancy.

No additional monthly contributions as I'd much rather put that money into retirement funds and investment savings accounts.

Purply,  could this not out perform a retirement fund in the long run? I have read STXIND doing like 25% returns or do you think it is to much of a risk?

Anything is possible at the end of the day, I just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

Purply,  could this not out perform a retirement fund in the long run? I have read STXIND doing like 25% returns or do you think it is to much of a risk?

STXIND is not Resources though.

2017-02-08_16-37-26.jpg.d0d31b9936d1065d42520f6e1d41edc5.jpg

Or wait you where referring to something else? (I am on the phone did not read everything)

Iron ore back up on solid Chinese demand evidenced in their latest trade numbers. Iron ore $84.5 - up from $82.40

That is crazy high, kumba probably going to climb even further now. It's amazing how the Iron Ore price has recovered. I remember it being around $35 a year or so ago.