Stock Watch Thread

Spreadsheet Ranger

EasyEquities

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I had forwarded this to our traders and yes we are not suppose to charge STRATE fees on any of the ETFs including the AMIB50.

So any clients who have purchased AMBI50 will have the STRATE fees charge reversed on their accounts

IQ Test

Taken from Hot copper website concerning EV vehicles RE Tawana TAW

Volvo Cars announced that every model from 2019 onwards would have an electric motor, making it the first traditional carmaker to call time on vehicles powered solely by an internal combustion engine.

Volvo said on Wednesday that it would put electrification at the core of its business. From 2019 it will only make three types of cars: pure-electric, plug-in hybrids, and so-called “mild” hybrids combining a small petrol engine with a large battery.

“This announcement marks the end of the solely combustion engine-powered car,” said Håkan Samuelsson, chief executive.

“Volvo Cars has stated that it plans to have sold a total of 1m electrified cars by 2025. When we said it, we meant it. This is how we are going to do it.”

The Swedish carmaker was purchased by Chinese domestic carmaker Geely in 2010.

The new owners have proven to be a catalyst in the race to electrify its models, as China is already the world leader in electric car sales and Geely is the only Chinese-owned carmaker producing vehicles for the US.

Nearly 265,000 pure-electric vehicles were sold in China last year, versus 110,000 in all of Europe, according to data compiled by EV-Volumes.com.

Globally, the market for pure-electric cars is tiny, accounting for less than 1 per cent of sales last year, but the market is growing quickly.

From January to March, global sales of plug-in vehicles — comprising EVs and plug-in hybrids — rose 40 per cent to 191,700 units, according to EV-Volumes.com.

If the growth rate since 2013 were to continue, then eight out of 10 cars sold in 2030 would be plug-ins.

Volvo said it would launch five pure-electric cars between 2019 and 2021. Three will come from Volvo while two will come from Polestar, the high-performance unit it launched last month.

By 2019 no new Volvo cars will be sold without an electric motor, as internal combustion cars are “gradually phased out”, Volvo said. It also aims to make its manufacturing operations “climate-neutral” by 2025.

Volvo’s agenda is likely to raise questions about the position of Tesla, the US electric car start-up whose market valuation has soared during a time in which it has no serious rivals in pure-electric cars.

Tesla, which sold 76,000 cars last year, plans to produce 1m cars a year by 2020, yet at $58bn its market valuation is already larger than General Motors, which sold 10m cars last year.

Tesla has garnered wild-eyed support from investors, who believe in the zero-emission future envisioned by chief executive Elon Musk.

The first of Tesla’s all-important Model 3s — the car Mr Musk hopes will turn low-priced electric vehicles from worthy but range-challenged rides for do-gooders into an object of desire for the masses — are set to be delivered to customers on schedule this month.

But the Volvo announcement underscores that its days as the only premium maker of electric cars are numbered.

Jaguar has said that its all-electric sport utility vehicle, the I-Pace, will go on sale late next year, while Audi will begin selling two premium electric cars in 2019, the same year that Mercedes will launch its first electric sport-utility vehicle as part of its new EQ brand.

At the Frankfurt motor show in September, BMW is expected to announce an electrified 3-Series car, its best-selling line of cars.

By 2020, traditional carmakers are set to have a wide array of electric cars on offer, with ranges of about 500km, said Michael Muders, portfolio manager at Union Investment.

“I think that it’s going to be pretty tough for Tesla to keep a position in this space,” he said. “The empire is going to strike back.”

• 3 weeks later...

Are the new Satrix ETFs worth it?

Comes down to cost and the requirement in your portfolio.

If you already own DBXWD there is probably no need to sell it and buy STXWDM. If you need to buy more DBXWD though, then STXWDM is cheaper and probably the better option going forward. But Sygnia bought all the DBX ETFs will be renaming them to Itrix soon and may cut costs on platforms other than their Alchemy one. Time will tell.

Same goes for STX500 if you already own CSP500 and Sygnia will be launching an S&P500 of their own pretty soon if I'm not mistaken.

STXEMG though, that looks pretty decent considering there is no real alternative to it except maybe for AMIB50 (but that is Africa only). So if you don't have exposure to emerging markets yet this is probably something to look into. It is very risky and highly volatile as far as ETFs go - big chance of growth and loss.

IQ Test

I can go one step further - STXEMG basically wraps the iShares Emerging Market ETF which you can currently buy directly on EasyEquities' demo US account. So when the real US account goes live, you have to ask yourself which one is the better buy as it is essentially exactly the same thing. Big difference: STXEMG is allowed in your TFSA but is possibly slightly more expensive.

IQ Test

Hi all.

Does anyone have an analysis or opinion on Ellies (JSE:ELI)?

Although it is a share I would not have touched in recent times, I have had it on my watchlist for a while, and, it seems that they are steadily increasing in value.

Thanks.

@Stanton-AlgoTrading

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Advetch is safer as curro is price to perfection (as they say) and evenly slightly missing estimates (which are pretty high) shakes the share price. COH still is growing quicker though, so although ADV is the more stable I would expect COH to give the better returns over a longer period - say 3 years + They both quality stocks, so why not just own both?

Hi all.

Does anyone have an analysis or opinion on Ellies (JSE:ELI)?

Although it is a share I would not have touched in recent times, I have had it on my watchlist for a while, and, it seems that they are steadily increasing in value.

Thanks.

There are so many quality small cap stocks out there trading at a great discount at the moment - I really have to like the business and sector before buying. Nothing about Ellies appeals to me. The few products I have used of there's has been sub par. Migration to digital still on hold. Do know they have (or did) a power division - not sure what's up with that though. But if you where buying for that and the newly signed PPP's (or PPA's) - would look at CIL.

There are so many quality small cap stocks out there trading at a great discount at the moment - I really have to like the business and sector before buying. Nothing about Ellies appeals to me. The few products I have used of there's has been sub par. Migration to digital still on hold. Do know they have (or did) a power division - not sure what's up with that though. But if you where buying for that and the newly signed PPP's (or PPA's) - would look at CIL.

Thanks!