Stock Watch Thread

Spreadsheet Ranger

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope not... I need the Indi to get back to 7000 so I can get rid of it o0nce and for all :(

Same boat it was a good ride since 2011, but the last two years made me think long and hard about this ETF.

With what are you going to replace it or are you going to use the funds to add to your existing stocks/Etfs?

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Currently my TFSA is split into equal thirds (well initially) of DIVTRX, DBXWD and STXIND. My R30k this year I'll probably split 50/50 between DIVTRX and GLPROP (if available, else PTXTEN).

STXIND and DBXWD are tough decisions since they're more focused on growth. I might just sell off both of them and push those funds into the other two to be only left with DIVTRX and PTXTEN and have my TFSA geared for income and some growth. On the other hand, since I'm still young growth ETFs might make more sense in which case there is NFEMOM for local and DBXWD (and the SP500 one).

So all in all I don't really know. What I can tell you is that I much prefer NFEMOM over STXIND. Completely different ETF but that is kinda the point.

IQ Test

Currently my TFSA is split into equal thirds (well initially) of DIVTRX, DBXWD and STXIND. My R30k this year I'll probably split 50/50 between DIVTRX and GLPROP (if available, else PTXTEN).

STXIND and DBXWD are tough decisions since they're more focused on growth. I might just sell off both of them and push those funds into the other two to be only left with DIVTRX and PTXTEN and have my TFSA geared for income and some growth. On the other hand, since I'm still young growth ETFs might make more sense in which case there is NFEMOM for local and DBXWD (and the SP500 one).

So all in all I don't really know. What I can tell you is that I much prefer NFEMOM over STXIND. Completely different ETF but that is kinda the point.

That makes sense. I am going to swap out my PTXTEN for GLPROP since I have CTOP50 which has some of the PTXTEN stocks.

Then I am going to sell my STXIND and get either DIVTRX or NFEMOM, I am leaning towards NFEMOM.

My focus at the moment is Capital Growth because I am quite young myself and I just feel 60K in a capital growth strategy for the next 5 - 8 years will be better because then I will have a much larger sum to invest in DIVTRX and the likes to shift over to an income portfolio at least that is what I think?

R1 million invested in DIVTRX should provide you with some money to live off compared to R60k and that R60k would grow more in the 5 - 8 years in a capital growth focused ETF than in DVTRX I assume?

Well I guess you will need far more than one million invested if you want to draw an income from DIVTRX since R1 million today equal about 34000 shares and they pay about 23 cents per share every quarter so you will get less than R9000 per quarter.

Is my math right? It sounds wrong maybe I missed a zero somewhere

Well I guess you will need far more than one million invested if you want to draw an income from DIVTRX since R1 million today equal about 34000 shares and they pay about 23 cents per share every quarter so you will get less than R9000 per quarter.

Is my math right? It sounds wrong maybe I missed a zero somewhere

Something like that. PREFTX gives better dividends, but buy the time you retire with your millions of dollahs it'll probably be a good idea to go speak to a financial advisor wrt the best income strategy. If your math is correct you'll be better off putting that R1mil in a 32 day account and get R70,000 pa in interest.

IQ Test

Something like that. PREFTX gives better dividends, but buy the time you retire with your millions of dollahs it'll probably be a good idea to go speak to a financial advisor wrt the best income strategy. If your math is correct you'll be better off putting that R1mil in a 32 day account and get R70,000 pa in interest.

That is what I was thinking, I often hear people say they are investing for income, but in practice that does not seem very viable on the stock market I mean you will need a few bar and then you will barely get back R10k per month if you are lucky in which case their are other investments that I would do if I have a few bar sitting around I would buy physical apartments and rent them out that rent should beat the DIVTRX.

I actually hope here is someone with some time on their hands that can work out what it would take to create an income portfolio and what the alternatives is.

What it takes; Investing for income.

Have a read - http://www.dividendtycoon.com/

He is on ShareForum and I think MyBB as well

I did hence my post they all claim investing for income and I ran the numbers on his site. I do not see it happening, capital growth yea, income from dividends to live from, not unless he inherits a few $$$

From his post:

In previous updates I have touched on the reasons for not investing in US or UK stocks yet. At the moment I am waiting to receive funds from the sale of a small hotel stock, but more on that later.

My patience in not taking capital out of my home country has thus far been rewarded in that the local currency has been strengthening against the pound and dollar over the last few months and is over 25% stronger than the low point. Having said that, I do believe that when I have some fresh capital, now would be a good a time as any to invest into stronger currencies. I am hoping this will be fairly soon.

I do have dividend income in South Africa, which I currently use to cover part of my living expenses and which I have chosen not to disclose.

That just strengthens my suspicions

Fair enough. DIVTRX and PTXTEN does grow and seeing cash magically appear in your account every now and again is kinda awesome so there! :P

:D  I saw this tweet just now might be of relevance.

Listed Property Sector:

This note provides a summary of the equity raised in the sector since 2010 and the performance of listed property, equities, bonds and cash over different time periods. It explores correlations amongst these asset classes and the correlation amongst the constituents of the J253 index. It also provides an illustration of the benefit of including listed property in a balanced portfolio.

Here is the PDF (Click this Link)

I have been watching curro and capitec for some time now and thought would it be better to buy PSGGroup for the long term than to buy the two shares risk wise?

I might be wrong but to me PSGGroup feels like a good "basket" buy since you get the underlying performance of all their investments including capitec and curro correct?

So my thinking was, maybe Capitec wont be this good for the next 15 years, but PSGGroup for the next 15 years should be able to innovate and built new businesses over the time?

Or am I being silly here.

WOOLWORTHS HOLDINGS LIMITED – Trading update and trading statement: 26 weeks ended 25 December 2016

WHL 201701120001A

Trading update and trading statement: 26 weeks ended 25 December 2016

Woolworths Holdings Limited

(Incorporated in the Republic of South Africa)

Registration number 1929/001986/06

Share code: WHL

ISIN: ZAE000063863

(the Group)

TRADING UPDATE AND TRADING STATEMENT: 26 WEEKS ENDED 25 DECEMBER 2016

TRADING UPDATE

Group sales for the first 26 weeks of the 2017 financial year increased by 6.7% compared to the prior

year.

Woolworths Clothing and General Merchandise sales increased by 3.5%. Price movement was 7.3%.

Sales in comparable stores grew by 1.2% and retail space grew by a net 2.9%.

Woolworths Food sales increased by 9.5%, with price movement of 9.2%. Sales in comparable stores

grew by 5.6% and retail space grew by a net 7.9%.

David Jones’ growth was affected by the timing of Boxing Day, which falls into the second half of this

year as well as last year’s termination of the Dick Smith electronics concession. This negatively

impacted sales growth by 2.7% and 1.6% respectively. Adjusting for both, sales were 4.0% higher

than the prior year, in Australian dollar terms. Retail space grew by a net 3.4%.

Country Road Group sales was also negatively impacted by the timing of Boxing Day and positively by

the inclusion of Politix sales post acquisition (-1.1% and +1.8% respectively). Adjusting for both, sales

were 0.9% lower than the prior year in Australian dollar terms. Retail space, excluding Politix, grew by

a net 2.2%.

The Woolworths Financial Services debtors’ book reflected year-on-year growth of 2.3% at the end of

December 2016, with an annualised impairment rate for the six months ended 31 December 2016 of

5.9% (six months ended 31 December 2015: 4.8%).

TRADING STATEMENT

Shareholders are advised that earnings per share (EPS) for the 26-week period ended 25 December

2016 are expected to be substantially higher than EPS for the 26-week period ended 27 December

2015, due to the profit on disposal by David Jones of its Market Street property in Sydney. Headline

earnings per share (HEPS) and adjusted diluted headline earnings per share (adHEPS) for the period

are expected to be lower than the prior period, as reflected below:

2015 reported 2016 expected growth 2016 expected range

(cents) range % (cents)

EPS 253.7 30.0% to 40.0% 329.8 to 355.2

HEPS 253.5 -2.5% to -7.5% 234.5 to 247.2

adHEPS 250.8 0% to -5.0% 238.3 to 250.8

The forecast financial information contained in this announcement has not been audited, reviewed or

reported upon by the Group’s external auditors.

The Group’s interim results for the 26-week period ended 25 December 2016 are scheduled to be

announced on the Stock Exchange News Service on or about 16 February 2017.

Reeza Isaacs (Group Finance Director) on 021 407 2464

Ralph Buddle on 021 407 3250

[email protected]

Cape Town

12 January 2017

Sponsor

RAND MERCHANT BANK (A division of FirstRand Bank Limited)

Date: 12/01/2017 07:05:00 Produced by the JSE SENS Department. The SENS service is an information dissemination service administered by the JSE Limited (‘JSE’).

The JSE does not, whether expressly, tacitly or implicitly, represent, warrant or in any way guarantee the truth, accuracy or completeness of

the information published on SENS. The JSE, their officers, employees and agents accept no liability for (or in respect of) any direct,

indirect, incidental or consequential loss or damage of any kind or nature, howsoever arising, from the use of SENS or the use of, or reliance on,

information disseminated through SENS.

66.8.16.130 is the JSE Sens server if I am not mistaken?

trade.imara.co is that sharenet's data?

66.8.16.130 is the JSE Sens server if I am not mistaken?

trade.imara.co is that sharenet's data?

Momentum

IQ Test