Stock Watch Thread

Spreadsheet Ranger

BRIEF-Taste Holdings H1 core headline loss per share 6.2 cents

Oct 12 Taste Holdings Ltd

* Core revenue increased by 15 pct to r519.3 million for six months ended 31 August 2016

* System-Wide sales increased 7.25 pct to r858 million for six months ended 31 August 2016

* Core headline loss per share of -6.2 cents for six months ended 31 August 2016

* Same-Store sales in luxury goods division increased by 25 pct for six months ended 31 August 2016 Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage:

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

The costs of establishing Starbucks and Domino’s in SA caused Taste Holdings’ interim loss to widen.

The aftertax loss grew 16% to R34.4m during the six months to end-August, the franchisor reported on Wednesday morning, from the previous matching period’s R29.7m. Interim revenue grew 9% to R529m.

Taste launched US coffee chain Starbucks in April, and its first two South African stores contributed R18m revenue during the reporting period.

"All three trading stores are trading well ahead of our original investment cases and forecasts," CEO Carlo Gonzaga said in the results statement.

"The Starbucks launch has been lauded by Starbucks around the globe and, as South Africans, we can proudly say that we have already set some records within this globally admired brand."

The conversion of the group’s Scooters Pizza and St Elmo’s outlets into Domino’s had increased their average weekly sales by 17% since March, Gonzaga said.

Domino’s grew to 85 outlets at the end of August from 74 at the end of February, and the chain has added a further two outlets since the reporting period.

Besides fast food, Taste also franchises jewellery chains NWJ, Arthur Kaplan and World’s Finest Watches.

"Same-store sales in the division increased an exceptional 25% over the prior period, which, combined with new-store growth, resulted in a system-wide sales increase of 27% to R316m," Gonzaga said.

He said jewellery stores tended to generate about three-quarters of their profits during the second half of the financial year, which includes the Christmas period.

Sous: http://www.bdlive.co.za/business/retail/2016/10/12/starbucks-and-dominos-widen-tastes-loss

TAS- Long term investment. Never look at it, Only do so after 3 years from now.

Definitely, since it will make you lose 3 years off your life. This is a roler coaster.

What do you guys think of buying all the exporters since a junk rating is pretty much guaranteed imho and the only companies I can see benfiting from R20/$ is raw exports?

TAS- Long term investment. Never look at it, Only do so after 3 years from now.

Definitely, since it will make you lose 3 years off your life. This is a roler coaster.

What do you guys think of buying all the exporters since a junk rating is pretty much guaranteed imho and the only companies I can see benfiting from R20/$ is raw exports?

Place I work (manufacturing) company becomes much more competitive when the R plummets against the Chinese.

Served by a Droid

• 2 weeks later...

Stocks to watch for 2017, according to Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/year-ahead-2017/

I could only read the first two, the colours are freaking horrible

WTF is that? Holy hell. My eyes will never be the same. (It's all US companies thou so not bothered)

WTF is that? Holy hell. My eyes will never be the same. (It's all US companies thou so not bothered)

Once you get past the eye bleed you will notice that at no 41 is Steinhoff which is interesting.

Once you get past the eye bleed you will notice that at no 41 is Steinhoff which is interesting.

Bahahahaha you made it to 41!!!

There has to be some sort of an award for this; its not often you come accross a reputable website in 2016 that looks that awful.

It often times makes me wonder what exactly is the story there? Developer decided fck it and the project manager was forced to take over? Designer off on leave and backup backend dev had to slash and hack to meet the deadline?

What happened it will bother me forever.