Stock Watch Thread

Spreadsheet Ranger

Yea, I want to sell my MTN this week, my average purchase price is R126, so I am in the profit, but I want to sell at R140. Hoping it will hit that by thursday, although I think it will only get there closer to the end of the month. Unless some rediculious news comes out of Nigeria and it totally tanks out to double digits.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

I was also holding onto my MTN for very long, avg was around R124, but sold at R132 as I moved into HAR/DRD a week ago. Hoping to ride this one for the next couple days.

Initially I wanted to hold MTN until R145.

As soon as gold drops I might move back into MTN depending on the price then.

On a side note, I also bought Bidvest, they have been climbing steadily ever since the split.

Hey guys

Whats the best way to go about investing in stocks and such. Currently investing money into EFT's but getting bad returns and want to look else where.

Hey, what ETFs are you currently holding?

Personally I am a very big fan of ETFs it's passive investing in my book. 

These are the ETF I own currently:

• Satrix Swix 40
  • Satrix STXINDI
  • Newfunds MAPPS
  • Coreshares DIVTRX
  • CoreShares PropTrax SAPY
  • Deutsche Bank DbxJP
  • Deutsche Bank DbxEU
  • Deutsche Bank DbxWD

JSE:ROC taking a bit of a dive unfortunately.

On the plus side, MTN is up 2% already.

I have been looking at datatec for a while now and I'm starting to think they might be a good buy now after that poor profit return their share price plummeted, but I suspect that was mainly due to the strong dollar and them operating in emerging markets so that could have affected the purchasing power of their clients in these markets more than usual.

Hey guys

Whats the best way to go about investing in stocks and such. Currently investing money into EFT's but getting bad returns and want to look else where.

Hard to make a real mistake with ETFs unless you buy into niche ETFs...or resources

Personally, apart from NEP I only use ETFs.

If you had the following:

DBXWD 35%

CTOP50 50%

PTXTEN 15%

...you would have a very diverse portfolio which is very protected from one share getting too high a weighting (think Naspers and SAB which make up 40% if STXIND alone).

You have to remember that this is a long term game. Make a loss over a year means nothing in the long run.

IQ Test

Eish. so the DBX are connected to the rand?

Like if we recover to R11/12 does that mean my DBX's will all be poof vanished in the air?

Well they take your money and invest it in international stock markets as Pounds, USD and whatever else. So yes, it is very much linked to the Rand. That's the reason, in my opinion, you should be rebalancing your portfolios to favour local/Rand denominated shares. Unless of course you believe we are heading for Zim 2.0.

IQ Test

Well holy damn!

Then I need to sell ASAP.

60% of my portfolio is DBxWD and DbxJP

What good local ETFs are there to invest in?

I do own Satrix Indi since that is the only one that looks like it has a good future ahead.

http://www.platinumwealth.co.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=25&pid=117#pid117 ?

Don't be rash. Why sell? Just buy others instead of DBXWD instead?!

IQ Test

Well holy damn!

Then I need to sell ASAP.

60% of my portfolio is DBxWD and DbxJP

What good local ETFs are there to invest in?

I do own Satrix Indi since that is the only one that looks like it has a good future ahead.

http://www.platinumwealth.co.za/forum/showthread.php?tid=25&pid=117#pid117 ?

Don't be rash. Why sell? Just buy others instead of DBXWD instead?!

I like the JSE:CTOP50 idea so basically the top 40 plus a few mid caps?

I like the JSE:CTOP50 idea so basically the top 40 plus a few mid caps?

Yes. But the best part of it is that any one share is limited to a 10% weighting. Another one to consider is NFSWIX (or one of the other SWIX ones).

IQ Test

Ive read about Swix, @hamster can you give me a layman's explanation of how Swix works?

Sent from my SM-G925K using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert at all so best do your own research.

The normal top 40 uses market cap for weighing shares. Most of the big shares are dual listed (available on JSE and others like LSE etc). Most of their shares are not available to us mere mortals because they are owned by directors, holding companies etc. Another result of this is that one holding company can own most of the shares on the JSE so effectively you may have the same people making strategic decisions on them.

So, SWIX basically looks at the amount of all the shares available to us (the previously mentioned mere mortals) and uses that as the weighting metric. It's not perfect (I own it) and if I could restart right now I would seriously consider the CTOP50....not that it is better, but it might be.

Personally I stay away from regular top 40s and the equally weighted top 40.

IQ Test

I did not expect Taste to fall below 240 cents to be honest. This is a long term investment so I guess buy another lump sum in them now to lower my average might be a good idea however, the fact that the price dropped this far frightens me a little bit, I understand they are using their funds to restructure their entire business, but it looks like the market does not share the optimism and is selling...?

I did not expect Taste to fall below 240 cents to be honest. This is a long term investment so I guess buy another lump sum in them now to lower my average might be a good idea however, the fact that the price dropped this far frightens me a little bit, I understand they are using their funds to restructure their entire business, but it looks like the market does not share the optimism and is selling...?

I'm just as clueless as you on this one. My avg is currently R2.40 and will keep this one for at least the next year. Am also tempted in getting some more, but will only do so once it drops below R2, otherwise it doesn't really make that much of a difference.