Are you running a website?

Just curious if anyone managed to run successful websites to generate an income via Adsense?

I tried it with a few, but I find that almost all the general stuff are covered already and niche sites just doesnt get the interest needed.

Also seems in today's world you need to spend a lot of money on digital advertising to get any traffic.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

• 7 months later...

Info site about cholesterol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Definitely a niche which is good, but you will need a lot of information about it and some sort of blog to bring in fresh content perhaps a discussion section because you'll be competing with the medical sites such as WebMD.

So definitely focus on building unique content covering every possible angle of cholesterol.

You need to see this from a user perspective, why would I go to your site instead of WebMD.

Well I'm learning all about sites so a steep learning curve

Definitely a learning curve, but at the end of the day it comes down to content. The more content the better.

Do you have specific experience with cholesterol, why did you choose to build a website around that specific condition.

Got experience with it but also have a very keen interest in building a passive income

Good direction, passive income streams are definitely possible with a website and ad revenue.

Well focus on what you have; what is your website? Post your link let me go through it see what you have so far so and perhaps we can give you pointers.

• 1 month later...

Just curious if anyone managed to run successful websites to generate an income via adwords?

I tried it with a few, but I find that almost all the general stuff are covered already and niche sites just doesnt get the interest needed.

Also seems in today's world you need to spend a lot of money on digital advertising to get any traffic.

Spreadsheet Ranger, I think you are referring to Google Adsense, and not Adwords. Adsense is placed on your website and you get paid when visitors click on ads. Adwords is the advertising platform where you advertise on other websites to drive traffic.

Here is my experience:

Is there a lot of money to be made with Adsense?

Yes, but only if you have a website with a lot of traffic. On average, less than 7% of visitors will click on an ad. I have a website that gets around 5000 unique visitors a day from search engine results. I get hundreds of thousands of page views a day. I make around R3k a month from this website alone in Adsense. Some months it may be less and others a bit more. Around 2-3% of my visitors clicks on ads.

There are indeed large international websites making hundreds of thousands of Dollars a month, but they get hundreds of millions or even billions of visitors and page views.

Can you make a living on Adsense alone?

No, you need to look at other ways to monetize your website. Things like paid membership options or selling products too.

Driving traffic to your website

Every person who wants to run a website must spend a lot of time and money to drive traffic. This is where Adwords come in. You will need to spend money to advertise your website, and Adwords is probably the best source to do it. Unfortunately, it is expensive.

There are a number of other ways you can drive traffic, but they all demand a lot time, work and probably money too.

South African traffic enough?

Unfortunately no. If your target market is South Africans alone, I am afraid to say that you will never make a lot of money with Adsense. You need to focus on driving international traffic to your site too. This may often require change of domain names as they play a big role in SEO.

@Rian Visser correct. I overlooked that. I edited the OP.

Out of curiosity how many page views does 5000 unique visitors generate? I understand that probably differs a lot depending on the website. Example a blog vs a news site where 1 unique visitor will probably only read the article and leave (1 page view - 1 unique visitor) compared to a blog where 1 unique visitor might read 2 - 3 blog posts resulting in 1 unique visitor generating 2 - 3 pages views.

Rough examples there.

• 9 months later...