Socially responsible investing

Spreadsheet Ranger

Socially responsible investing (SRI), or Social investment is also known as sustainable, socially conscious, "green" or ethical investing, is any investment strategy which seeks to consider both financial return and social good to bring about a social change.

Do any of you take this into consideration when investing, example I know some people who refuses to invest in mines due to the bad conditions the workers are put through majority of the time as an example. 

Just curious to know what most think about this and if you feel this is your responsibility to be conscious about these things it normally feels a bit counter intuitive to me since I want the highest possible "legal" return on my investment since at the end of the day it is my future so if the company is operating legally then I feel I am allowed to invest in said company without the feeling of being judged.

That said if the company refuses to pay workers and have a track record of shady dealings then of course I won't invest, but then again should that company be allowed to list in the first place?

Surely there is a vetting process done before listing and during to ensure that a company needs to uphold certain principles to ensure me as an investor can sleep soundly knowing I invested in one of the JSE listed companies.

Just curious what the general opinion is out there how do you approach this if at all?

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

• 2 months later...

I take issue with gold miners because of dangerous working conditions for very little pay at the lower level, and epic levels of fat cat-ness at the top. Last year I invested in the Just One Lap Momentum portfolio which included a few gold miners, so I opted instead for Satrix Resi, which still invested in gold miners but made me feel better. Complete, conscious self-delusion. It's tricky to figure out if my money should work for me or work for social good.

I chat about it here: https://justonelap.com/warning-ethics/

You can check out this too: https://justonelap.com/etf-investing-feels/

I take issue with gold miners because of dangerous working conditions for very little pay at the lower level, and epic levels of fat cat-ness at the top. Last year I invested in the Just One Lap Momentum portfolio which included a few gold miners, so I opted instead for Satrix Resi, which still invested in gold miners but made me feel better. Complete, conscious self-delusion. It's tricky to figure out if my money should work for me or work for social good.

I chat about it here: https://justonelap.com/warning-ethics/

You can check out this too: https://justonelap.com/etf-investing-feels/

I completely agree and get what you are saying, but lets called it for devil's advocate sakes make the following observation, is this your battle to fight? 

Surely the JSE should be harsher on companies who is known for such issues? 

I am not clued up about how this all works at all like if there is a scale to measure SRI of a company and make listing requirements based on that, but the layman in me likes that last bit of the OP suggesting this should not be the investor's burden so to speak?

===

On a side note I read there is a JSE Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Index, is it possible to invest in that, is there like a ETF or something?

I completely agree and get what you are saying, but lets called it for devil's advocate sakes make the following observation, is this your battle to fight? 

Surely the JSE should be harsher on companies who is known for such issues? 

I am not clued up about how this all works at all like if there is a scale to measure SRI of a company and make listing requirements based on that, but the layman in me likes that last bit of the OP suggesting this should not be the investor's burden so to speak?

===

On a side note I read there is a JSE Socially Responsible Investment (SRI) Index, is it possible to invest in that, is there like a ETF or something?

That's kind of where I ended up. I do what I can, but I probably miss more than I catch.

===

There is an index, found this on the JSE SIte:

The SRI Index was terminated in December 2015, and replaced with the FTSE/JSE Responsible Investment Index Series.  Please refer to www.jse.co.za/responsible-investment for further information about the new index series.

Though I haven't figured out yet how to invest in it...

Source: https://www.jse.co.za/services/market-data/indices/socially-responsible-investment-index

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@SimonPB of all the members here you are probably the most clued up so I need some insight.

Can you explain to me how all this works in terms of the JSE allowing the Gupta's Oakbay Resources to be listed knowing all of this going on and the extent of their involvement in the state of this country?

Does this not fall under some sort of Social responsibility? I mean we know for a fact the negatives that happened last night, surely this 188% spike in JSE:ORL (Oakbay Resources and Energy Ltd) is not a coincidence?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, what tree should I be barking up at? Does the JSE have a responsibility here or is this a matter for some other agency?

Including this new Gupta Bank, surely having them list on the JSE is wrong?

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

@SimonPB of all the members here you are probably the most clued up so I need some insight.

Can you explain to me how all this works in terms of the JSE allowing the Gupta's Oakbay Resources to be listed knowing all of this going on and the extent of their involvement in the state of this country?

Does this not fall under some sort of Social responsibility? I mean we know for a fact the negatives that happened last night, surely this 188% spike in JSE:ORL (Oakbay Resources and Energy Ltd) is not a coincidence?

I guess what I am trying to ask is, what tree should I be barking up at? Does the JSE have a responsibility here or is this a matter for some other agency?

Including this new Gupta Bank, surely having them list on the JSE is wrong?

as long as you comply with companies act and listing requirements the JSE is happy. Ethics are in the eye of the beholder (Some will say BTI shouldn't be listed as their product kills), not the JSE

• Like 1

Agree with @SimonPB sadly this is the Free market/capitalism it's good and we must defend it to death, but it does have it's caveats such as allowing corruption and the likes. As the end of the day this industry serves one god and that is money. Ethics is a different aspect that depends from one individual to the next. It's not ideal, but it is what it is.

Slight O/T

The Guptas will not be defeated by trying to focus on ethics. These oaks, must be drilled by the media every step of the day. If they open their mouth they must be drilled the same goes for any person linked to the. We need more agencies like amaBhungane proper investigative journalism to make their life a living hell.