How much is your cell phone bill?

I'm trying to get mine as low as possible. I'm thinking about going with one of these virtual providers like Bok Radio or ME and You something something

How much do you pay?

How much data are you getting?

Is it a single or group plan?

Who's the provider?

===

I pay R699

Not entirely sure of the data and minutes I usually end up buying a extra gig from time to time

Single plan

Vodacom

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Also cancelled my mtn beginning of year. And bought a new phone cash.

Ported my number over to afrihost mobile. Pay R99 per month now. Get 2gb data, and 40 minutes talk time.

Have wifi at work and at home, and make phone calls usually fron landline at work. So this works nice for me.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

I'm probably the only sucker here.

Roughly my monthly account for the last few months:

Line 1 (My Note 4) Smart L sub R530, plus handset installment (for Note 4 & Gear S) R470 plus R650 data bundles (7Gb total) = R1650

Line 2 (SO S4 mini) uChoose Flexi 500 R500

Line 3 Wi-fi router 10Gb+10Gb R500

Total R2650

Changes implemented:

Line 1 New employer will settle R4000 handset account and move call account to business. My contribution = R0

Line 2 (SO) Upgraded to a A3 2016 on a uChoose Flexi 350 = R400

Line 3 (Data) stays at R500 until October then will upgrade to a 3 or 5Gb topup contract.

This will make my cellphone costs roughly R700 to R800 pm. Added to this will be an uncapped ADSL line, so probably R700.

Making my new cellphone & data expense about R1500.

My biggest problem is my 2 sons who received devices in December. It seems as if they are trying to download the whole internet. So now I switch off the wi-fi router when they are not where I can see them.

I'm paying about R500 p/m, getting 500 minutes + 500mbs on MTN... but I still load another 1 gig R150 = R650 in total... I also bought my own handset, ridiculous to pay so much monthly for a phone... got a Huawei P8... and I am up for a renewal of my contract, but I ddnt do it yet so its being milled month to month

The trick is to realise that a cellphone contract is not all that bad if used correctly.

Lets say you Buy a handset cash = R9000 (mid range phone btw)

& Airtime/data per month = R350 (conservative for most)

But what if you did the following:

R9000 + (R350 * 24 months) = R17400

then R17400 / 24 months = R725 per month

So why not take out a contract that costs R725 per month? Meaning you could really get a MUCH better phone on a better contract for the same money over a 24 month period.

OR on the other hand take the same phone and a cheaper contract for MUCH less money per month (over a 24 month period).

“Ignorance is of a peculiar nature: once dispelled, it is impossible to re-establish it. It is not originally a thing of itself, but is only the absence of knowledge; and though man may be kept ignorant, he cannot be made ignorant.”-Thomas Paine, The Rights Of Man

Currently ranges between R1700 to R2500.

I think the R1700 range should be more standard from now on (I hope so anyway, my Wife keeps throwing money at some bloody competition that charges you per vote because she uploaded a photo of our son to it).

I have 3 numbers on my contract:

LTE

Basically I had a 2gb+2gb vodacom data contract for R199pm including an lte router.

I was USSD'ing anything from 2 to 7gb to this on a monthly basis.

The Router is paid off so I upgraded the contract to a 10GB PAYG contract meaning I either have to fork out cash for data or have no internet at home till month end.

Anyway, the 10gb Contract costs a total of R299pm so I am saving myself between R150 to R750pm

My Number:

Stays stable at around R750pm

My Wife's number:

Usually stays stable at around R450 to R650pm.

With this bloody competition thing it fluctuates between R650 to R900pm

• 2 weeks later...

I got the LG G3 on contract the week it came out, from Virgin Mobile, phone + 1gb + R200 Airtime, for R400pm... Cheapest flagship phone that I could get in Sept 2013.

Have been with Virgin for years now, they piggyback on Cell C's network, which makes them cheap...

Thinking about keeping the phone when the contract expires in September, and going to afrihost mobile, really cheap, and as far as I can tell they use MTN's network

I got the LG G3 on contract the week it came out, from Virgin Mobile, phone + 1gb + R200 Airtime, for R400pm... Cheapest flagship phone that I could get in Sept 2013.

Have been with Virgin for years now, they piggyback on Cell C's network, which makes them cheap...

Thinking about keeping the phone when the contract expires in September, and going to afrihost mobile, really cheap, and as far as I can tell they use MTN's network

When Virgin came to SA many years ago, I also switched to them. But that was a huge mistake as their service and signal were very bad here. I moved back to MTN. Then to Afrihost. Yes, Afrihost use MTN network and I really can't complain. Everything works like it should and the support of Afrihost is great.

[...] a huge mistake as their service and signal were very bad here.[...]

I've been using them for years and rarely have had issues, I use it at work in midrand and at home in Centurion with great service... I'm not trying to promote them at all, and I'll be moving to Afrihost  come September.

[...] a huge mistake as their service and signal were very bad here.[...]

I've been using them for years and rarely have had issues, I use it at work in midrand and at home in Centurion with great service... I'm not trying to promote them at all, and I'll be moving to Afrihost  come September.

Yeah,thats the difference between platteland and the city.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

I spent about R250 - R300 pm, buying Vodacom prepaid airtime and data.

My phone I took over from my wife when she renewed her contract. ;)

For data, I also use the wifi at home (updates etc), and at work will use my office phone for calls (we get a budget each month at the office)

Most of the time I will message people, I only sometimes need the airtime for sms and voice calls.

One thing, glad I convinced my wife to go off the contracts, in September she will buy out her iphone and tablet contracts. More cash flow for her then :)

I also had to go through the whole "schlep" of Contract vs Pre-Paid, and in the end decided to go pre-paid. But the thing that i'm noticing is that in a lot of cases its actually cheaper going on contract, seeing as the phones are pretty much supplemented by the carriers.

PS. I'm with Cell C, use about R200 on data only, rarely call and bought my phone from Orange.

PPS. I also have a work phone on which i call

I wonder how Vodacom's cancellation policy works? I walked into a branch saturday to ask and they said they can't cancel or advise me on the process in a branch that must be done over the phone, I was like WTF?

Call 111 just ask them to email you the quote.

Served by a Droid

I wonder how Vodacom's cancellation policy works? I walked into a branch saturday to ask and they said they can't cancel or advise me on the process in a branch that must be done over the phone, I was like WTF?

Served by a Droid

I hate talking over the phone F2F or E-mail that is all I do.

Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Served by a Droid

I hate talking over the phone F2F or E-mail that is all I do.

Funny that mybroadband has an article on this today....

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellular/171113-how-to-cancel-a-cellphone-contract-with-vodacom-and-mtn.html

Currently ranges between R1700 to R2500.

I think the R1700 range should be more standard from now on (I hope so anyway, my Wife keeps throwing money at some bloody competition that charges you per vote because she uploaded a photo of our son to it).

I have 3 numbers on my contract:

LTE

Basically I had a 2gb+2gb vodacom data contract for R199pm including an lte router.

I was USSD'ing anything from 2 to 7gb to this on a monthly basis.

The Router is paid off so I upgraded the contract to a 10GB PAYG contract meaning I either have to fork out cash for data or have no internet at home till month end.

Anyway, the 10gb Contract costs a total of R299pm so I am saving myself between R150 to R750pm

My Number:

Stays stable at around R750pm

My Wife's number:

Usually stays stable at around R450 to R650pm.

With this bloody competition thing it fluctuates between R650 to R900pm

Latest statement R1711 for the 3 numbers in total :D

Progress.