New JSE listings

Platinum Wealth

VBS Mutual Bank to list on the JSE

JOHANNESBURG – VBS Mutual Bank, which made headlines last year after it gave South African President Jacob Zuma a loan to reimburse the state for upgrades to his personal home, plans to list on the Johannesburg Securities Exchange, its chairman said on Thursday.

The bank lent Zuma R7.8 million after a court ordered he pay back part of the $16 million the state spent on his luxury home.

The lender, whose clients are mostly rural homebuilders or small businesses, plans to expand from only four branches now to a nationwide network, chairman Tshifhiwa Matodzi said.

“It is a no-brainer to list within the next 3 years,” Matodzi told Reuters after a media conference.

VBS has its roots in a 1980s building society based in Venda, a rural area given a degree of autonomy by the apartheid government before 1994. It has 30 000 clients with deposits of around R800 million.

“First we will convert from a mutual bank to a bank, then we will list on the JSE,” Matodzi said, adding that the institution wanted to broaden its shareholder base.

Though VBS got plenty of publicity for the loan to Zuma last year, the president is not among VBS’s biggest debtors, having “maybe one of the top-20 home loans,” said Matodzi.

The Public Investment Corporation, Africa‘s largest fund manager with more than $120 billion of South African government employee pension assets under its custody, is a major shareholder in VBS, holding 25%.

The lender on Thursday signed an agreement with a church group to issue cards to the church’s 6.8 million members. Though they will not automatically bank with VBS, the bank said it hoped to sign them all up eventually.

CAPE TOWN – South Africa’s African Equity

Empowerment Investments will list its fishing

and food unit on the Johannesburg Stock

Exchange on March 2 to grow its market share,

its chief executive said on Wednesday.

Khalid Abdulla said the firm expected the Initial

Public Offering (IPO) to value the unit at around

R1.2 billion ($90 million) and that the cash “war

chest” from the IPO will be used for further

growth and acquisitions.

“We will be raising about R550 million with the

listing and obviously we will use that money to

grow the business further, to buy other fishing

and food-related businesses,” Abdulla told

Reuters in an interview.

“We will have a nice war chest to go and build

this business to another level,” he said.

He said the company, South Africa’s largest

black-owned and managed fishing and food

firm, will be placing about 45-49% of Premier’s

share on the market, with each share selling for

approximately R4.50.

Headquarted in Cape Town, Premier Food and

Fishing said during its 2016 end-of-year results

that operating profit rose by 37% to R74 million

on the back of higher sales and good catch

rates.

Abdulla said the firm would initially be looking

for acquisition opportunities in the fishing

sector that complement Premier’s existing

portfolio of species – where it holds medium to

long-term quotas for west coast rock lobster,

squid, pilchards and hake.

He said Premier’s empowerment credentials,

part of government policy to spread wealth to

the majority of blacks excluded during white-

minority rule, should stand it in good stead

when buying other companies.

As demand for schools in densely-

populated areas of Gauteng grow

‚ Pembury Group Limited (PL Group)‚ that

runs 19 schools‚ says it believes it will be

given the go-ahead to list on the stock

exchange in February.

The Group has started the application to

list on the smaller arm of the

Johannesburg Stock Exchange – the AltX

— in December after being given the go-

ahead by the JSE.

Chairman of the PL Group Andrew

McLachlan said listing was planned for

February and since the announcement

‚ large investors had shown interest in it

even asking‚ unsuccessfully‚ to buy the

company.

AltX is a smaller exchange for medium-

sized and small businesses to raise capital

and it has less stringent financial

requirements for listing.

The PL Group‚ which also runs retirement

homes‚ moved into schools in 2015

starting with 400 pupils at Willow View

Academy in Kempton Park.

After two years‚ the group now has 19

schools in Gauteng and the North West

with 2‚300 pupils. The group uses existing

commercial properties that lend

themselves to being converted into

schools such as office blocks or

guesthouses for schools.

Mclachlan said: "Other private schools

may need about R100‚000m in order to

build a school‚ Ours will cost between

R10m and R15m."

The schools are built in densely-populated

areas.

The schools use sports courts similar to

action cricket courts for sports activities

instead of traditional sports fields.

In 2017‚ the group will open three new

campuses in Centurion‚ Roodepoort and

Springs.

The group already has schools in

Northriding‚ Hartbeespoort and Ruimsig

in Roodepoort.

Mclachlan says private education was

helping the government which struggled

to place pupils.

Both Curro schools and ADvTECH that

owns Crawford colleges and Trinity House

schools are listed on the main JSE

exchange.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember Premier Food & Fishing goes live on JSE on 2 March. Thankful that my pre-order was approved:

We’ve got some good news for you Daniel

We can confirm that the Premier Food and Fishing private placement you applied for has been approved and you'll be getting the full amount which you applied for! Can we get a whoop whoop!

The full value of the Premier Food and Fishing shares which you requested will be credited to your account on 2 March 2017 when the company is live and trading on the market.

Want to know a little more about your new shares? In case you missed it, you can read this pre-listing company note by financial analyst Mark Ingham:

If you want in on some more Premier Food and Fishing shares, you'll be able to buy them on EasyEquities from Thursday

Pembury Group Limited is one I will be watching!

I only own 2 stocks (I am still new to all this.)

ADvTECH and Curro, since 2012 and its been incredible especially ADvTECH so I will be adding Pembury to my portfolio as well.

Hey Noobly, why do you own only education stocks? It's wise to diversify across sectors and pick the best 1 or 2 companies per sector, otherwise just buy ETFs.

Hey Noobly, why do you own only education stocks? It's wise to diversify across sectors and pick the best 1 or 2 companies per sector, otherwise just buy ETFs.

Totally agree with you there, back then I was still noobly I think I should ask for a username change I am now Intermediately :P

I added some other stocks namely dbxWD and NFEMOM so two diversified ETFs plus my two private schools I am a happy camper so far.

Welcome to the Forum btw!

@Dancshares @outlook i haven't bought them OTC, but I'm interested in buying them when they list on the jse mainboard.

@Groovy thanks, better prices if we can buy OTC, but I've heard that guys are not selling (lots of bids but no offers) due to the exciting listing on the main board later this year. Bleh.

@Groovy thanks, better prices if we can buy OTC, but I've heard that guys are not selling (lots of bids but no offers) due to the exciting listing on the main board later this year. Bleh.

Just asked Kristia from JustOneLap how to buy OTC and she said they will be discussing OTC in the next Fat Wallet Show. Listen out for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Daniel,

Good question! I bought some OTCs once, but straight after I did, the legislation changed. We'll discuss it in the next episode.

Thanks for listening!

Kristia

Remember Premier Foods and Fishing to start trading on the JSE TOMORROW.

Will you be buying?

Nope, I feel the stock itself will be illiquid, might be worth holding in the long term, just not my kind of pond.

I'm however very interested to see how it goes the first few weeks.

Nope, I feel the stock itself will be illiquid, might be worth holding in the long term, just not my kind of pond.

I'm however very interested to see how it goes the first few weeks.

@Purply I heard whispers that the IPO was around 10x oversubscribed. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

@Purply I heard whispers that the IPO  was around 10x oversubscribed. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

I can 100% see how that is possible since they only issues a limited amount of shares, like really LIMITED

Suppose that's what happens when you only trying to get R500 mil

Solar fund heads for the JSE

Solar fund heads for the JSE Promises stable returns and a 6% yield.

Now a solar energy fund run by UK investment firm Foresight will be listed on the JSE in early April, via the JSE’s fast track process.

The placement of a maximum of 250 million shares will be a private placement to institutions, with the minimum investment being R1 million.

The Foresight Solar Fund is the second largest of its kind in the UK, with a gross asset value of about £614.2 million (R9.8 billion), a net asset value of £360.2 million (R5.7 billion) and a market capitalisation on the LSE of about £369.93 million (R5 918 million), as of March 1 2017.

It is aiming to raise £50 million via both this listing and a rights offer and private placement of shares in the UK and a further £200 million during the course of the year.

Seems Sea Harvest Group Limited will be listing as well.

The JSE has granted Sea Harvest a listing of up to 236 696 240 Shares in the “Farming, Fishing

and Plantation” sector of the Main Board of the JSE under the abbreviated name “SeaHarvst”

under share code: SHG and ISIN: ZAE000240198, from the commencement of trade on Thursday,

23 March 2017, subject to Sea Harvest having satisfied the Listings Requirements regarding the

minimum liquidity free-float requirements.