× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Your TFIA/TFSA
True. Now compare NFEMOM and DIVTRX and have your mind blown :p

I trust NFEMOM more even if it is using past performance as it's main indicator (meaning you'll never buy at a low). STXIND and any other index ETF is just choosing some arb reason as to why a certain share holds more value and in STXIND's case it's because the company is worth more. Hardly a good enough reason to invest in it in my opinion.

At least CTOP50 and PTXTEN are putting capped weights on shares so you cannot be over exposed.

(01-31-2017, 03:03 PM)Hamster Wrote: True. Now compare NFEMOM and DIVTRX and have your mind blown :p

6 months vs 12 months comparison:
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: nfemom vs divtrx.JPG   

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: nfemom vs divtrx2.JPG   

If I compare the last 2 years, they still seem to be following the same up/down patterns:
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: nfemom vs divtrx vs stxind.JPG   

Guess who's TFSA finally started showing some growth, a whole 0.54% in the green Cool ... 
Decided to check today after adding R5k beginning of the month:
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: tfsa4.JPG   

Even STXIND is showing signs of improvement, when looking at weekly indicators:

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: stxindj.JPG   

P.S. Has anybody thought about moving their TFSA account to a different service provider? I read somewhere last week that from 1 March 2017 you will be allowed to transfer your account? Not sure if I read/understood it correctly

(03-14-2017, 10:37 AM)DieWerner Wrote: Guess who's TFSA finally started showing some growth, a whole 0.54% in the green Cool ... 

P.S. Has anybody thought about moving their TFSA account to a different service provider? I read somewhere last week that from 1 March 2017 you will be allowed to transfer your account? Not sure if I read/understood it correctly

The transfer deadline has now been moved out by a year to 1 March 2018.

(03-14-2017, 10:37 AM)DieWerner Wrote: Guess who's TFSA finally started showing some growth, a whole 0.54% in the green Cool ... 

(03-14-2017, 11:29 AM)ianvn Wrote: The transfer deadline has now been moved out by a year to 1 March 2018.

Seems they will keep on moving the deadline each year.

Your TFSA questions answered by EasyEquities.

https://youtu.be/sgGnXOOxYJ4

I believe in buy/hold when it comes to investment. I have the following three funds in my TFSA portfolio:

60% DBXWD
20% PTXTEN
20% STXILB

I max out my allowance over three months ("dollar cost averaging") and re-balance all my investments yearly to maintain my AA.

(04-22-2017, 07:03 PM)synapseza Wrote: I believe in buy/hold when it comes to investment. I have the following three funds in my TFSA portfolio:

60% DBXWD
20% PTXTEN
20% STXILB

I max out my allowance over three months ("dollar cost averaging") and re-balance all my investments yearly to maintain my AA.

What made you decide to buy STXILB?
I had a look at them, but could not make myself a compelling enough case to buy it.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(04-22-2017, 09:46 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: What made you decide to buy STXILB?
I had a look at them, but could not make myself a compelling enough case to buy it.

I could have probably gone with a money market account, but I wanted to keep the TFSA itself balanced as well according to my AA. That way I can manipulate my taxable investments without having to chop and change the TFSA as well. So that leaves normal bonds and inflation linked bonds. I don't want bonds for growth, I want them to help me sleep at night when 2000 or 2008 happens again and the market drops by 60+%. So I am not concerned about the yield, but it would be nice if they at least beat inflation (hence inflation linked bonds).

The two main alternatives to STXLIB are the Ashburton Inflation ETF (ASHINF) and NewFunds/ABSA ILBI (NFILBI). STXILB is a total return fund like NFILBI, so interest/coupons are reinvested automatically. STXILB will (probably) do that for less cost than NFILBI (~0.6%). At the moment the transaction cost for STXILB is unknown due to its age, but the TER is 0.25% vs ABSA's 0.43%. Although they don't track the same index, the holdings are virtually identical.

Bond funds are normally difficult to choose - I will have a look again next year when I re-rebalance and invest for 2018.

We need to check if you really get a tax advantage when using a total returns ETF within a TFIA/TFSA.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

So... update time. My TFIA portfolio is looking like this atm:

DIVTRX 46.17%
PTXTEN 12.36%
GLPROP 9.09%
DBXWD 32.39%

Maybe a bit too heavy in property  Rolleyes

My TFSA is doing alright now.

DbxWD is a saviour

my TFSA's are both 100% cash as of yesterday. Waiting for a pull back....patience needed! Smile

BTW - getting 4.79%(yearly) percent paid daily on EE - will be a bit more as it's compounded daily.

(08-22-2017, 10:13 AM)MrDividend Wrote: my TFSA's are both 100% cash as of yesterday. Waiting for a pull back....patience needed! Smile

BTW - getting 4.79%(yearly) percent paid daily on EE - will be a bit more as it's compounded daily.

Interesting, which ETFs?

For the moment I am just trading my ETF's on support/resistance. So more looking at liquidity. But I do try to have at least two in distinct sectors - so could be Indi + resources or property. looking at around a 4 - 8% on each trade Risky, as i know need a pull back and if the market takes of, will be in the @#$@. But i have 100% confidence that our politicians will have something to say that will kill the market - just need to wait. BTW since march am now 18.5%.