× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Your TFIA/TFSA
(01-19-2017, 11:27 AM)erwintwr Wrote: am starting to really wonder if our market is good for TFSA's. yes i chose the ETF's  1.5 to 2 years ago when TFSA was approved, and most was giving 18% plus per year at that time.

currently.. lets just say i cry every time i log into EE :o. Profit so far 2.75% (R60k of shares worth R61k)

Equities = High Risk , sadly....The risk is mitigated with time. If you want to grow in 2 years put it in a bank account Tongue

Even though it does hurt seeing your money disappearing, I agree. I constantly feel like I made a stupid mistake investing locally.

Out of curiosity, do you view dbx as local too?

In other words when you guys say not local do you literally mean another exchange, not the JSE?
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(01-19-2017, 12:33 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Out of curiosity, do you view dbx as local too?

In other words when you guys say not local do you literally mean another exchange, not the JSE?

In my view, kind of, yes. It is still rand denominated and the government still munches away on it with CGT in your TFSA as far as I know.

For me, offshore means physically moving it offshore. Although this isn't relevant in regards to your TFSA..thus a bit off topic Smile

I hear what your saying.

Perhaps a thread should be made.

Offshore investing options for SA citizens.

Or just just shorter.

Offshore investing for South Africans.

(01-19-2017, 12:52 PM)JCM Wrote: the government still munches away on it with CGT in your TFSA as far as I know.

Whaaaaat?

Foreign dividend tax and exchange control costs muches away at it but no CGT in your TFSA.

Unless something changed which I'm not aware of.

Well, I'll be honest I'll only be able to see when I get a dividend from DBXWD which I haven't yet. But I read this somewhere:

Section 64 (n) of the Income Tax Act provides for a rebate to be deducted from the local dividends tax payable in respect of a foreign dividend if that dividend was subject to foreign tax.

Thus it gets taxed there first?
Maybe someone that has received dividends can clear it up?

Sorry, I was incorrect in saying CGT. Dividend yield tax Smile

(01-19-2017, 01:48 PM)JCM Wrote: Well, I'll be honest I'll only be able to see when I get a dividend from DBXWD which I haven't yet. But I read this somewhere:

Section 64 (n) of the Income Tax Act provides for a rebate to be deducted from the local dividends tax payable in respect of a foreign dividend if that dividend was subject to foreign tax.

Thus it gets taxed there first?
Maybe someone that has received dividends can clear it up?

Can see it in the SENS. They're paying out $0.108 ... after all the foreign tax etc stuff is done it is down to $0.102 (IIRC... but something to that effect).

No further tax (any tax by our goverment) when it is inside a TFSA account.

Well that clears it up, thanks

I just remembered something about tax issue with international etfs, just got it mixed up a bit Smile

Mine isn't doing to bad these days, STXIND just needs to keep going up...
Seeing that i stupidly thought putting nearly half of my money into i, I'm sitting at only -1.1% in the red
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: tfsa3.JPG   

Envy! For the green

Does anyone here have their TFIA in a Worldwide Flexible Fund? I think its a good option for those who don't want to do asset allocation by themselves. Sygnia has one which is a multi asset portfolio where each asset class are index trackers.

Link?

(01-19-2017, 09:30 PM)Hamster Wrote: Link?

Here is the latest factsheet.

And here is the marketing sheet

Does not need to be Sygnia just want to know if anybody else is using something similar.

(01-19-2017, 10:20 PM)Bogle Wrote:
(01-19-2017, 09:30 PM)Hamster Wrote: Link?

Here is the latest factsheet.

And here is the marketing sheet

Does not need to be Sygnia just want to know if anybody else is using something similar.

Is that only available via a TFSA/TFSI or can I buy that fund as part of my normal savings, because it looks like the sort of split I would like to focus on for 5 years as a medium term hold along side my DIY EasyEquities portfolio.