JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: meta-chart.jpeg   

Roughly:

So about 60:40 split between offshore and local

20% of it is property
30% local
40% developed
10% emerging
IQ Test

So far I am up 4.86% on NFEMOM and I am up 3.72% on PTXTEN for the year.
Join the official JSE Discord Channel

CoreShares PropTrax Ten
+4.80%
CoreShares S&P Global Property Exchange Traded Fund
+3.52%
CoreShares Top 50
-2.21%
Satrix MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
+5.94%
Satrix MSCI World ETF
+5.06%
Sygnia Itrix MSCI World ETF
+10.70%

Now let's hope Trump and Rocket Boy don't crash the offshore markets...
IQ Test

Trump and Rocket boy, scares me.
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x023f29596Bf80c521C906f80ee305fADc3B1Be3C BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

(09-27-2017, 01:12 PM)Bandit Wrote: CoreShares PropTrax Ten
+4.80%
CoreShares S&P Global Property Exchange Traded Fund
+3.52%
CoreShares Top 50
-2.21%
Satrix MSCI Emerging Markets ETF
+5.94%
Satrix MSCI World ETF
+5.06%
Sygnia Itrix MSCI World ETF
+10.70%

Now let's hope Trump and Rocket Boy don't crash the offshore markets...

That is quite motivating! 

Does the ETF reflect as Sygnia's in EasyEquities?

(09-29-2017, 12:40 PM)phatphil Wrote: That is quite motivating! 

Does the ETF reflect as Sygnia's in EasyEquities?

It does: "SYGNIA ITRIX MSCI WORLD (SYGWD)"

Very motivating indeed but if Trump does something stupid the world doesn't like it'll tank. I'm betting against RSA atm :p
IQ Test

So as things stand now and for this year*:

Offshore (50%)
STXWDM: 40%
STXEMG: 10%

Local (50%)
STXQUA: 35%
PTXTEN: 15%

We're looking at buying a house and also planning a wedding so I might stop my TFSA contributions for 2018. I'm happy with the makeup of it at the moment but I'm toying with the idea of moving it when our finance minister (whoever it may be) gives the go-ahead. The biggest reason being that after three years of maxing out my TFSA contributions it is getting to a sizable value which I do not really want on the TFSA platform.

Option 1: Move it to ABSA Stockbrokers. The only problem here is that it is a manual process. I cannot schedule a debit order and let it execute at market buys. So no "auto pilot" mode which kind of sucks.

Option 2: Move it to Allan Gray and invest via unit trusts. Will need to keep costs in check though.
IQ Test

I've just set my future TFIA payments for the year, and my R33000 per year split (R2750 p.m., although I'm hoping it will increase from March) will be as follows:

Local (37.5%)
STXIND:  12.5%
STXQUA:  12.5%
CTOP50: 12.5%

Offshore (62.5%)
STXEMG: 19.0%
ASHGEQ: 18.5%
GLPROP: 12.5%
SYG4IR: 12.5%

My rationale is as follows:

I went only 37.5% in local ETFs as my stocks portfolio is mainly in local shares, and over 25 years, I like the diversification of global markets.

STXIND: It excludes banks and mines, so is largely unaffected by the Rand value or political noise. It performs purely on the value of its companies. Also, it's been the top ETF averaged over 10 years, and I don't see any reason for it to be any different in the future.

STXQUA: A new ETF. Great companies, chosen for quality rather than market cap. High dividends as well as growth, so the upward trend should remain constant, ever in a bear market. Might underperform the T40 in a prolonged bull market run though, since it focuses more on dividends than growth, but should outperform the T40 in a fluctuating market. Still, so far, since inception, it has outperformed T40 on growth too, so I'm not complaining!

CTOP50: Companies chosen for market cap (long term stability) as the third prong of my local shares balance. Since I have STXIND, I did not want to duplicate my massive exposure in the top 5 like Naspers by having STX40 as well, so I went for a more equally weighted ETF here to balance out the INDI. I don't like the strictly equal weight ETFs like CSEW40 because they lose out on extended bull runs because companies in these ETFs are not allowed to exceed 2.5% even if the share sky-rockets by 1000%, but this one (CTOP50) has more flexibility than strict equal weight ETFS while minimizing any risk.

STXEMG: I think emerging markets will outperform developed markets in the next 10 years. Hence the highest allocation to this ETF.

ASHGEQ: ASHGEQ rather than S&P500, because there's too much instability in the US at the moment. I'm worried about Trump and the political situation with North Korea. ASHGEQ may slightly underperform the S&P500 (or it may do better), but at least my money's safe!

GLPROP: Had to have some property...

SYG4IR: My high-risk ETF. It may never take off, or it has the potential to sky-rocket. This is my 12.5% gamble that may lose me 12.5% or may make me very rich!   :-)

(01-22-2018, 07:16 AM)Bandit Wrote: Option 1: Move it to ABSA Stockbrokers. The only problem here is that it is a manual process. I cannot schedule a debit order and let it execute at market buys. So no "auto pilot" mode which kind of sucks.

Option 2: Move it to Allan Gray and invest via unit trusts. Will need to keep costs in check though.

For TFIA, almost all the stockbrokers charge a standard 0.25% fees per purchase. OST for TFIA is no more expensive than any other and is very good. Only its trading platform is more expensive, but for TFIA, it's also worth considering.

Unit trusts are still far more popular than ETFs in this country, but abroad, ETFs are more popular because they are constantly outperforming Unit trusts, because they allow intra-day trading while unit trusts don't. I have a feeling if you stick it out, your Allan Gray and Alexander Forbes are going to go the ETF way of long-term investing as well.

I prefer Option 1, but it will cost you a percentage or two of your already existing portfolio if you move (once it's allowed of course). Why not, for now, keep your Easy Equities as they are and contribute there until end of February to keep the accounting simple, and then start your new tax year's TFIA from 1 March onwards putting your money into a TFIA at ABSA or OST until the move is allowed?

I'll probably keep it at EE until we are allowed to move it. Not keen on splitting it up.

SYG4IR has done exactly nothing but go down. High risk, sure, but even with exchange rate fluctuations it just does nothing. I'm too impatient Big Grin
IQ Test

(01-24-2018, 05:20 AM)Bandit Wrote: I'll probably keep it at EE until we are allowed to move it. Not keen on splitting it up.

SYG4IR has done exactly nothing but go down. High risk, sure, but even with exchange rate fluctuations it just does nothing. I'm too impatient Big Grin

Yes, SYG4IR has been very disappointing so far, but I'll keep buying for another year and see what happens.

I have a feeling your PropTrax 10 will have a record year, since SARB may cut interest rates several times this year. I'd love to have it in my portfolio too, but I'm out of space!

How is everyone's TFSAs looking?

Mine is red for the year.

Don't want to talk about it Sad

Luckily, I haven't pushed any money into it yet for 2018 since we're saving for a wedding. So in some sense I reckon I'm lucky so far Big Grin
IQ Test

And then there is this...

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Screen_Shot_2018-04-13_at_08.54.20.png   
IQ Test

Mine's down 4.36%. The plus side is that I'm not planning to sell any time soon, so I consider this a plus in the long run as I can buy cheaply now.

I'm trying to buy as much as I can while the price is rock bottom.