× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Women pay more for cosmetics and clothing than men
Women pay more for cosmetics and clothing than men, says Use Your Voice (UYV), a non-profit organization that distributes sanitary pads across South Africa. 

In a Facebook post on Friday, since shared more than 6,600 times, UYV compared the prices of daily-use items such as razors, day cream, and clothes to show how much more women pay.

It is estimated that women pay as much as 13% more for personal care products.

“If you do feel the need to comment that this is fake, and that you do not agree, we highly recommend that you do the research yourself,” the organization said about the price comparison.

So we did.

Business Insider South Africa visited one grocery retailer, one clothing retailer, and one health and beauty retailer, to do our own comparison.

Here are the differences in prices for similar products aimed at men and women we found: 

Women are expected to pay R25 more for similar razor blades.
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Women are expected to pay R25 more for similar razor blades.png     

Women pay R20 for the same t-shirt, on promotion.
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Women pay R20 for the same t-shirt, on promotion.png   

Similar vitamins by the same label costs R16 more for women.
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Similar vitamins by the same label costs R16 more for women.png   

Women's deodorant costs R2 more than for men at two different stores. 
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Women's deodorant costs R2 more than for men at two different stores.png   

And spray deodorant costs R10 more.
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: And spray deodorant costs R10 more.png   

Across our sample of products, women were expected to pay 18% more for what appears to be the same products for men. 

Source: BusinessInsider
Join the official JSE Discord Channel

Shops are a bunch of crooks in my opinion and I don't think the system is regulated in any way. The worst thing is how easily they hand out credit and normally to those who cannot afford it, I think the majority of people will pay debts for their entire lives. One can probably argue that people should know better but in some instances the system should not make it this easy.

I wish these retailers can be held accountable.