Windows 10 update mirror setup
Hello, I need some help.

I have a small office with 20 machines and 1 main machine, nothing special they all run the same version of windows 10.

20 employees and 1 manager (hence the "main machine"), there is no difference between the installations.

I want to use the main machine to be a mirror for the updates. In other words I would prefer if the 20 machines downloads the update from machine one instead of going to the internet.

So the scenario must be: The main machine updates and then the other 20 machines downloads that same file over the local lan instead.

The reason for this is because this office runs on LTE and data is a bit expensive at the moment and the updates are the only large usage that takes place unnecessarily on all machines.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

You want WSUS. Not sure if it is available on non-server Windows OS's though. Never implemented it myself, but facilities at previous company did.

Dammit. Was hoping there is a way to avoid having to setup a dedicated server.

(06-08-2017, 03:34 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Dammit. Was hoping there is a way to avoid having to setup a dedicated server.

Set up a vm/vb on one of the computers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

(06-08-2017, 06:36 PM)AstroTurf Wrote: Set up a vm/vb on one of the computers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's the license costs associated with MS server that I am concerned about.

I played with this over the weekend, first prize would have been the ability to use the Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) like Hamster pointed out. Unfortunately, WSUS requires a Windows Server installation to run and that is slightly out of scope for what I had planned here.

I know about the settings in Windows 10 to that enables Windows to update over LAN, but from past experience I could never get that to work perfectly. I tried it again this time, decided to make a mini tutorial for others on how to set windows to update over the Lan.

Traditionally, the updates for any Windows device were delivered directly from Microsoft's Windows Update servers. While this is the most secure way of getting untampered files, it's not the fastest delivery method that you can use. Windows 10 computers and devices can connect to each other and get updates not only from Microsoft’s dedicated servers, but also from other Windows 10 devices that have already downloaded parts of the updates (In theory).

Step 1, Navigate to windows update, press Windows + I on your keyboard. In the Settings app, click or tap on Update & security.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_0.jpg   

The first section is Windows Update and it should be opened automatically. If it’s not, click or tap on it.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_1.jpg   

On the right pane of the Windows Update section, click or tap on Advanced options.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_2.jpg   

The Advanced options window lets you configure everything there is to configure about how Windows Update works. At the end of the main section of settings, which is called “Choose how updates are installed”, you will find a link that lets you “Choose how updates are delivered”. Click or tap on it.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_3.jpg   

Now we've reached a place called “Updates from more than one place”. As you will see, the first thing on this page is a switch that lets you select whether you want to “Download Windows updates and apps from other PCs in addition to Microsoft. This can help speed up app and update downloads”. Enable this option.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_4.jpg   

Now that the switch is on Windows 10 will get updates not only from Microsoft's servers, but also from other sources, like other Windows 10 PCs from your network or even other Windows 10 PCs worldwide, using peer-to-peer connections on the internet. By default, Windows 10 enables downloads of updates only from other PCs from your local network. However, if you want to get updates also from other Windows 10 computers on the internet, select “PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet”. (In my case I want it to only be from PCs on the local office network and not the internet.)

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: windows_update_5.jpg   

I believe, since this uses a P2P scheme (similar to torrents) it takes some time for the systems to identify other PCs sharing the update files. If you download all the updates on one machine, then in a short period of time initiate the updates on the others, then they haven't had time to identify that the first machine is sharing the files. You may have to kind of let the update process happen naturally and not manually update the computers.