× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Who do you speak to about your investments?
So today I was at lunch with my gran, and I mentioned that this year I have started investing in stocks and ETFS ...

Well that turned another direction...

She was not happy at all, telling me to be careful and thats when I stopped ( thank goodness I didnt mention Bitcoin)

She advised me that I must go and see her advisor at Allen Gray- Dodgy 

She said my brother (17) and I must first buy property (im only 19) 

So the point is who do you speak to in your friend/ family circle or do you only share on PW?

I listen to JustoneLap's podcasts, it helps it does clear some questions, but that alone is not enough, for ages I did not know where else to go, because the advisors my parents used were the typical type, either pushing a product or stuttering when their answers don't cut it.

I did a random google "How to invest on the JSE" and saw a thread from PW, I was hooked ever since, it's like a different type of guidance I get here, I mean we don't always agree and finance is definitely not a one size fits all, but so much wealth of information comes out of these threads, like this one: https://platinumwealth.co.za/forum/Threa...-portfolio people discussing ETFs I did not even know exists like the emerging markets one, this platform is such a great source of knowledge already.

(12-02-2017, 04:40 PM)LentilSoup Wrote: I listen to JustoneLap's podcasts, it helps it does clear some questions, but that alone is not enough, for ages I did not know where else to go, because the advisors my parents used were the typical type, either pushing a product or stuttering when their answers don't cut it.

I did a random google "How to invest on the JSE" and saw a thread from PW, I was hooked ever since, it's like a different type of guidance I get here, I mean we don't always agree and finance is definitely not a one size fits all, but so much wealth of information comes out of these threads, like this one: https://platinumwealth.co.za/forum/Threa...-portfolio people discussing ETFs I did not even know exists like the emerging markets one, this platform is such a great source of knowledge already.

Yea, Im glad I found PW, has opened my eyes and gives a platform to share and grow

I read quite a bit, most of my "knowledge" comes from books I read over the years.

Then I listen to some podcasts, the money show with Bruce, I enjoy Simon's JSE Direct one too.

All questions and stuff I want a little deeper understanding off I come and get on Platinum Wealth.

When friends and family ask me for stuff I often times end up directing them to a thread that is on Platinum Wealth.

So in essence, I talk to you guys about finance Smile

Books from Warren, Benjamin,Peter Lynch, Charlie Monger,Carl Icahn and my gut feel when I research a company( don't trust much on our market commentators)first I track who runs it, check them out ( do they know what they are into, have they been successful in the past companies, and of course controversial statements on social media&contreversial media coverage(a Biggy these days), second I stalk the progress on promises, Contrarian I would define my self, what excites me is finding that gem with my spare cash. Lucky me my wife is on board as I have made us a pretty penny over the last few years, best being curro and tawana ( the miner in me ). Currently into, PEM, SRR, DCP, GLN( so much potential ,but mostly on the news for the wrong reasons?) stalking Long4life, black rock greater Europe ( quite like the mix),Implats Libstar I hope it comes through to the JSE with the December ANC electinions. Cyril wins good for us on the JSE me thinks. ETFs I buy for my kids on their birthdays for now (satrix and sygnia)

Go see a financial advisor regardless, preferably an independent one. There's a lot of stuff they know that you and I don't and you don't need to sign any papers you are not comfortable with.
IQ Test

(12-02-2017, 09:45 PM)Bandit Wrote: Go see a financial advisor regardless, preferably an independent one. There's a lot of stuff they know that you and I don't and you don't need to sign any papers you are not comfortable with.

Then come post it here, obviously.

I read books, Google and just do my own sort of research, when I need help, I go to family and friends to get a sense of what they are doing and then I will go and read about what was discussed a bit further.

Have a look at mafiabuzz.co.za read the buzzes and the weekly newsflash. I have done the course and it worked for me.