× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

The best savings account available in SA
Good Day to All,

I'm planning on opening a savings account but before I do that I would like to know which bank offers the best savings account with the best interest rate.

Depends on what you mean with "savings account" and what you intend to do with it.

If you want to save every month but also use the money during the month:

* cheque account

If you want to save every month but use the money in the short term future (say in the next two years):

* 32 day account
* flexi deposit 

If you want to save one lump sum and only use it in 3 to 5 years but do not want to risk losing it:

* fixed deposit

If you want to save a lump sum or every month and only use the money in 10+ years

* invest in shares/ETFs/unit trusts

As far as savings, cheque, 32 day accounts go - any bank. The difference is really minimal.

Fixed deposits - I believe Bidvest Bank and African Bank gives slightly better interest rates. Not worth it unless you are already a client, but that's personal preference.

Shares/ETFs/Unit Trusts - now that's a completely different ball game

Anybody here feel different?

OK, Thank's a lot for clarifying the whole matter. Now I know my options, great!

Who wants to compare the interest rates of each of these accounts and make a list for us?

Could be an interesting exercise.

But let's assume Standard Bank has an account that gives slightly better interest rates than FNB. I'm already an FNB client though and pay a monthly fee for the "privilege" of being their client.

So if I want to take advantage of the better interest rate at Standard Bank I'll need to pay monthly fees withthemas well.

So unless the better intrest rate offsets the mo they account fees you're doing nothing but complicating your financial life and pitentially losing money doing it.

FNB's savings account is currently on 6.30% interest.
I moved everything from my Money on call and flexi fixed deposit into the savings account.

FNB for "standard" bank style savings accounts are genrally very good

I just went through the interest rates offered by African Bank and Bidvest. I must say I was not expecting such rates from these two banks. 

African Bank   

Bidvest 

My theory is that African Bank needs customers and to somehow overcome the "bad name" they've got. Would be interesting to see how long they keep those high interest rates for.

Thank you for the PDFs @Morgan yea African bank looks attractive, but with their reputation I am not sure if I would ever be able to switch to them.

Agreed.

(10-13-2017, 01:27 PM)Bandit Wrote: My theory is that African Bank needs customers and to somehow overcome the "bad name" they've got. Would be interesting to see how long they keep those high interest rates for.

Don't you think we should capitalise on these high rates while African bank is still offering such rates?

(10-13-2017, 02:42 PM)Morgan Motsepe Wrote: Don't you think we should capitalise on these high rates while African bank is still offering such rates?

Risky.
Side note savings accounts etc are just that...to save for emergencies, holidays etc they are not their to grow money over time, for that you need 90 day accounts at a minimum, fixed deposits, ETF's, unit trusts etc... I wouldn't be too worried about what saving account at what bank you use.... just my point of view.

(10-13-2017, 02:40 PM)JamesYellen Wrote: Thank you for the PDFs @Morgan yea African bank looks attractive, but with their reputation I am not sure if I would ever be able to switch to them.
I think we need to check how they have been performing since their downfall ( financially and corporately). Personally, I feel that they have done a great done at turning African Bank around. I'm strongly considering putting some money with them.

African Bank today only shares the name of the bank that went busy and nothing more. That's my understanding anyway, so probably no reason to not trust them.