The Van Breda murder trial
It's like watching a movie with subtitles, sure it's fun in the beginning, but after awhile when you wake up 3 hours later, you contemplate trying to watch it again, but ultimately don't.

(05-18-2017, 06:37 AM)Hamster Wrote: Listening to the emergency call:

I'd lose my shiaat with that emergency operator!! How the bloody hell is he not screaming at this useless woman?

I'd also lose my shiaat and then to find out she was purposefully slow because she thought it was a prank. Ridiculous. I mean, the people were already dead but still. If she does that with everyone she thinks is prank calling, she is costing valuable lives.

I honestly believe that in some places people like her would be charged with culpable homicide.

Sent from my SM-G955F using the Platinum Wealth app

(05-18-2017, 08:12 AM)Purply Wrote: It's like watching a movie with subtitles, sure it's fun in the beginning, but after awhile when you wake up 3 hours later, you contemplate trying to watch it again, but ultimately don't.

This is hopefully in response to that dreadful call and not my summaries.

Sent from my SM-G955F using the Platinum Wealth app

(05-18-2017, 11:03 AM)Carly1803 Wrote: This is hopefully in response to that dreadful call and not my summaries.

Sent from my SM-G955F using the Platinum Wealth app

Was in response to your question asking what we all thinking about the progress of the case so far.

I purposefully visit this site daily just so that I can get the update here lol

Day 14 and we will be discussing fingerprints and injuries again.

First on the stand is Jonathan Oliphant. He is a policeman at the Criminal Record Center in Beaufort West. At the time of the murders, he was working at the Criminal Record Center in Worcester. Between 27 and 31 January, he was tasked with finding fingerprints in number 12 Goske Street. He found 53 prints.

On the knife, he found a right thumbprint of Henri on the blade. If the knife points down the thumbprint points up.

He further found the prints of the family, the two domestic workers, the gardener and James' (Marli's ex-boyfriend) prints in the house. 

He also checked the boundary walls thoroughly with the naked eye and a special light. He also used a chemical spray which would give a brown/purple colour if there was a fingerprint. He found no prints or proof of activity on the wall. 

No fingerprints were found on the handle of the axe.

Botha then cross-examined Oliphant saying that if someone wore a glove and climbed over the wall, there wouldn't necessarily be a print.
Oliphant agreed.
There was also a print found on Henri's patio door which wasn't identified. Oliphant said that it could have been a visitor. 
There were various unidentified prints:
On the frame of Henri's bathroom door
Two on the kitchen table
On the car
On a Johnny Walker Bottle
On a Red Heart Rum bottle
(Oliphant said that these were bottles inside the cupboard but yes they are also unidentified) 

Botha then said that the State claims Henri took the axe and attacked his family with it, wouldn't there then be prints on the axe? There was a print on the knife?
Oliphant said that the axe was sent to the lab for testing, he can't testify on their behalf. Oliphant agrees that if the person wore gloves they wouldn't find it. 

Botha then held the axe and the knife - the axe facing towards him and the knife held at the blade - also facing towards him and asked Oliphant if that stance would match the fingerprint location.
Oliphant said he doesn't want to speculate. There were three prints on the knife, two of which are unidentifiable. 

At the top of the blade, there's a smeared print and another further down.

Botha then asked whether the domestic worker's prints were found on the gate because that's where she entered on Monday. Oliphant said no. The responding officer's prints were also not found by Oliphant at the scene. 

Oliphant said that if fingerprints were wiped down or if gloves were worn there wouldn't be any.

Next witness was Dr Marianne Tiemensma. She is a medical specialist at the clinical Forensic Unit at Victoria Hospital. Her expertise includes pathology. She examines and makes findings in both the living and the dead. 

She was asked by SAPS and Dr Albertse to examine Henri's injuries. She compiled two reports on his injuries. One on 12 February 2015 and another 10 March 2015. 

Dr Tiemensma said, "The cut marks were superficial. The incisions have an even depth, parallel and it avoids sensitive areas such as the nipples. The forearm wounds in keeping with self-inflicted injuries, non-lethal, and an even depth. The injuries are all in reachable places. The thorax and the abdomen look different, look caused by stabbing action; also superficial. Judging by the size and the shape of the knife it would be virtually impossible for the knife to have been stuck in any of the stab wounds. I am of the opinion that they are self-inflicted, superficial and non-fatal."

The wounds to the head, leg and the back were unlikely to be self-inflicted. The head injuries could be a blow to the face or a fall.   

The photo is shown of the stairs where the blood spot was found, where Henri said he fell the first time. Dr Tiemensma said that the blood wouldn't be from Henri, his cuts were too superficial to cause blood pooling. It would have had to have been a cut deeper than 4cm as Henri is sturdy. 

Dr Tiemensma said that the second fall could have caused some of the injuries. She doesn't think Henri lost a lot of blood, only a tiny amount, not enough for him to go into shock. You wouldn't expect him to pass out for hours. The bruising and the injury could only have caused a mild concussion.

Dr Tiemensma has read Henri's plea explanation. She said it is quite obvious that some things were described vividly and others not. She said that it's "interesting" how selective it was. 

Marli's hands had defence injuries - bruising on the back of the hands and the knuckles, some small abrasion.These were injuries of someone fighting back. 

The court then adjourned till Monday with Dr Tiemensma to testify again on Tuesday. 

(No ruling has been made on the live streaming yet)

Things are warming up, the doors of hell are opening wider to fit Henri's sturdy physique.

Day 15 is here and only one witness testified. 

A Michelle van Zyl. She is a medical doctor specializing in emergency medicine. She previously worked at Vegelegen Mediclinic.

She saw Henri on the 27th of January, at 20:25 when he came in with James Reade-Jahn and asked one of his wounds to be examined for possible stitches. 

She noted that there was the smell of alcohol on James Reade-Jahn's breath. 

Advocate Botha said that whatever was said between Dr van Zyl and Henri could not be discussed because of doctor-patient confidentiality. 

Dr van Zyl said that Henri seemed fully orientated of his surroundings. She merely stapled his wound as it wasn't deep enough for stitches and the clips would bring the skin together. She discharged him but the police asked her to look at him again and she completed a J88 form. (The J88 is a legal document completed by a doctor or a registered nurse, documenting injuries where a legal investigation will follow)

The second time she saw him, he was still 100% orientated, he wasn't as friendly, she describes him as "jovial" the first time she saw him. 

She reported that both eyes were swollen, the left one worse as discoloration has happened. She says some wounds can take a while to form if they weren't as hard or as deep. 

On the left forearm, she noted three scratch marks where Dr Albertse noted four. Van Zyl said she could have missed the fourth one. The bruise on his knee was also noted on different sides by the doctors. Van Zyl concedes she could have made a mistake.

Dr van Zyl recalls that Henri conversed casually with the staff (but this was not stated in her report), he was not emotional. 

She didn't prescribe him pain medication. She did note that he appeared confident and answered questions with one-word answers. 

Botha then said that Henri told him the policeman who saw him the morning said he look traumatized, family and friends who saw him said he was emotional and teary, he was only traumatized until he went to the hospital. 

Mrs Reade-Jahn had given Henri a tranquilizer after he had been at the hospital the first time. 

And that is all for today.

The court continues tomorrow.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Color Skins

Change Color:

Background Patterns:

Background Images:

Main Options: