Stock Watch Thread
General quick question. Hoping someone can weigh in.

What is the ideal number of stocks to hold or aim for, if you are investing in individual companies.
Basically at what point do you say, okay I'm diversified enough now, and anymore will just make my portfolio too big.

For me it's more about sectors - no good having twenty companies, but they all in resources or financials.
for me, if I really like a company - I can go up to 10% - but for most around 5%. Small punts - 1-2%.
I have around 30 - 40 companies in my LTP.

I do have an income producing portfolio as well - mainly property with around 25 - 30 REITs.

Probably a smart way to go about would be a few ETF's covering 70% of your portfolio - and 30% individual shares - maybe 5 or so.

Big Grin 
(05-11-2017, 09:51 AM)Agent47 Wrote: I have registered on Luno now. Will wait patiently for the pullback and get in on the action.

If you are impatient like me do as I do below. :-) Wait for a minor pull back and buy on the lows. I bought half of what I wanted to spend on the arrow and will now wait to see if it breaks line A. If it does so I will put the rest in. If it heads back down to line B i will see if it breaks it and wait for the turn or if it heads back up on touching the line I will see where it is in relation to my original buy in before I decide to put the rest in.

PS. Not financial advice. Just keeps me busy during a boring day playing with this stuff, and I am more wrong than correct. :-)

Image(s)
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 17.17.27.png   

I cannot wait for Rolfes to pick up. I want to sell on 700 then I will be happy.

Not to mention AXL.
Buy altcoins with bitcoins here Changelly

(05-11-2017, 05:20 PM)MrDividend Wrote: For me it's more about sectors - no good having twenty companies, but they all in resources or financials.
for me, if I really like a company - I can go up to 10% - but for most around 5%. Small punts - 1-2%.
I have around 30 - 40 companies in my LTP.

I do have an income producing portfolio as well - mainly property with around 25 - 30 REITs.

Probably a smart way to go about would be a few ETF's covering 70% of your portfolio - and 30% individual shares - maybe 5 or so.

Yeah true definitely need to spread out across the sectors.
I'm currently sitting at around 15 so I guess I could add a couple more. There's quite a few stocks that have dropped in price that's looking quite tempting to get into. AdaptIT for example.
A concern is that, if I'm investing a certain amount every month, increasing my portfolio reduces how much each company gets. Perhaps its better to focus on a limited amount of shares.

ETF's are great, thought of investing in them to form a foundation of sorts, but they usually come bundled with a company or two that I don't want my money in.

Maybe I'm just looking at all of this the wrong way Shy

What the hell is going on with Rolfes?

(05-15-2017, 09:51 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: What the hell is going on with Rolfes?

Eish, I am asking the same question. I cant find any news

90% of the businesses revenue is generated locally so maybe this has something to do with it?

Wonder me too, considering buying more Rolfes..

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

(05-15-2017, 08:32 PM)Chrisjan Botha Wrote: Wonder me too, considering buying more Rolfes..

Sheeesh, that is my situation now... Do i buy more or do I wait this out. My average purchase price is 320 and a month ago I was still in the clouds. Now... Gut feeling says this price dive is not due to any issues or pressing concerns, but was rather some investment firm or fund manager(s) cashing in some major profits.

Heart and brain does not believe gut enough to buy more at this stage.

I bought at high price, will bring down average for me...

(05-16-2017, 08:37 PM)Chrisjan Botha Wrote: I bought at high price, will bring down average for me...

I wish I bought high, this was the first stock I timed perfectly by accident. I should have sold a few months ago when everyone was spamming the live chat on the website about how high rolfes is.

(05-16-2017, 09:35 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: I wish I bought high, this was the first stock I timed perfectly by accident. I should have sold a few months ago when everyone was spamming the live chat on the website about how high rolfes is.

Win some, loose some...

But I do not want to lose some Tongue I want to win all of it.

Which is fair!

(05-15-2017, 10:00 AM)Aeonian Wrote: Eish, I am asking the same question. I cant find any news

90% of the businesses revenue is generated locally so maybe this has something to do with it?

I think Rolfes is running since one of their product lines is they supply specialized fertilizer products, and the farmers planted flat out following the drought , even the winter crop guys are planting where they have irrigation.