Stock Watch Thread
(06-09-2016, 04:09 PM)Purply Wrote:
(06-09-2016, 03:18 PM)padjakkels Wrote: What do you guys think of Old Mutual and Sanlam shares?

(I got no knowledge...thats why Im asking...)

Clueless, have never looked at either before.
Lol, okay. Seems like they keep climbing.

Sent from my SM-A700F using Tapatalk

(06-09-2016, 02:17 PM)PirateJack Wrote: What do you guys think about JSE:MAPPSG ?

I want to build my TFSA and that looks like a good ETF to hold for the long run

It is good if you combine it with some DBXWD. But if you only ever invest in a single share on the JSE, MAPPSG (and later MAPPSP) is the way to go IMO. 75% of it is equities (NFSWIX, which I own).

The only problem is that if you combine it with DBXWD your exposure to bonds etc become a lot less (20% of 50% of portfolio for example). You could always go do it yourself and get those bonds through separate ETFs (NFILBI and NFGOVI). More costs but greater control. This also allows you to swap out NFSWIX for STXIND or CTOP50 or whatever "local equity" ETF you prefer.

Also worth noting that MAPPSG is a total return ETF meaning dividends etc. are automatically reinvested for you, which is a very nice feature because that is exactly what you should be doing when looking for growth.

I did not know MAPPSG reinvests the dividends for you. That is wonderful I think I too will look a bit more closely at them.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

I see Simon doesn't like the SWIX -> http://justonelap.com/getting-grips-fees/

(06-09-2016, 09:14 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: I see Simon doesn't like the SWIX -> http://justonelap.com/getting-grips-fees/
Indeed he doesn't. To be honest, if I prefer CTOP50 over it because I don't like one share getting such a high weighting (especially in an ETF designed to prevent it).

At the moment though it is paying off but I'm watching it. MAPPSG though is still very good for somebody starting out and "scared". FNB's Share Saver is another option (where I started): Top40+MidCap

I am reading up on MAPPSG, it looks like something I want, it looks stable. I think I am going to sell my MTN's if it hits R130 today and then buy into MAPPSG since MTN is a top holding in that fund. Is that fund actively managed ie MTN is very low now lets think best case scenario and it starts recovering can MAPPSG change their MTN weighing at will?

I see a lot if not all the shares who have a straight line started changing in 2015 it scares me cause I the graphs tells you nothing anymore.

This is what it looks like to me ( AT BEST ):
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: example.png   

Real world examples:

MAPPSG

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2016-06-10_8-25-01.jpg   

DBxWD

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2016-06-10_8-28-52.jpg   

STXINDI

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2016-06-10_8-30-12.jpg   

Capitec

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2016-06-10_8-32-13.jpg   

I'm still waiting for the new batch of ETF's to be launched, any idea when that is going to happen as I'd much rather put my money into those.

(06-10-2016, 09:03 AM)Purply Wrote: I'm still waiting for the new batch of ETF's to be launched, any idea when that is going to happen as I'd much rather put my money into those.

Waiting for that as well. Wonder if it will be the Black Rock ones or if there are others coming.

If it is Black Rocks then I'd be interested in one that tracks the world excluding the US.

With DbxUS which I own I can use one that's not US. In hindsight I should have bought DbxWD, but then again 5 years ago when I bought US it is paying off ever-since.
If you aren’t thinking about owning a stock for 10 years, don’t even think about owning it for 10 minutes.

(06-10-2016, 09:27 AM)Hamster Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 09:03 AM)Purply Wrote: I'm still waiting for the new batch of ETF's to be launched, any idea when that is going to happen as I'd much rather put my money into those.

Waiting for that as well. Wonder if it will be the Black Rock ones or if there are others coming.

Wasn't aware of other apart from Black Rock, super keen!

MTN in an absolute free fall, dammit.

(06-10-2016, 10:02 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: MTN in an absolute free fall, dammit.

If memory serves, their "judgement" is only due 29 June, or maybe it will resume then.

Stock will probably remain volatile until then.

(06-10-2016, 10:02 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: MTN in an absolute free fall, dammit.

Update to shareholders on Nigerian fine and withdrawal of cautionary announcement

MTN Group Limited
(Incorporated in the Republic of South Africa)
Registration number: 1994/009584/06
ISIN: ZAE000042164
Share code: MTN
("MTN" or the “Company”)

Update to shareholders on Nigerian fine and withdrawal of cautionary announcement

Further to the various announcements to shareholders regarding this matter, MTN is pleased to inform
shareholders that the matter has been resolved with the Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN) on the
following terms:

MTN Nigeria has agreed to pay a total cash amount of Naira 330 billion over three years (the equivalent of
US$ 1.671 billion at the official exchange rate and US$902 million at the Lagos Parallel Market Rate) to the
FGN in full and final settlement of the matter payable as set out hereunder.

The Naira 50 billion paid in good faith and without prejudice by MTN Nigeria on 24 February 2016
forms part of the monetary component of the settlement leaving a balance of Naira 280 billion
outstanding which will be discharged as follows:

Naira 30 billion on 8 July 2016
    Naira 30 billion on 31 March 2017
    Naira 55 billion on 31 March 2018
    Naira 55 billion on 31 December 2018
    Naira 55 billion on 31 March 2019
    Naira 55 billion on 31 May 2019

In addition to the monetary settlement set out above:-

-   MTN Nigeria subscribes to the voluntary observance of the Code of Corporate Governance for the
   Telecommunications Industry and will ensure compulsory compliance when the said Code is
   made mandatory for the Telecommunications Industry.

-   MTN Nigeria undertakes to take immediate steps to ensure the listing of its shares on the
   Nigerian Stock Exchange as soon as commercially and legally possible after the date of execution
   of the settlement agreement;

-   MTN Nigeria shall always ensure full compliance with its license terms and conditions as issued
   by Nigerian Communication Commission (“NCC”).

MTN Group Executive Chairman Phuthuma Nhleko said “he expresses his thanks and gratitude to the FGN
for the spirit in which the matter was resolved and believes this is the best outcome for the Company, its
stakeholders, the FGN and the Nigerian people and that the relationship between MTN, the FGN and the
NCC has been restored and strengthened”.

Accordingly, shareholders are advised that they are no longer required to exercise caution when dealing in the
Company’s securities.

Fairland
10 June 2016

Just after posting that, MTN jumped 10% Big Grin

*edit*

Make that 20%