Stock Watch Thread
(06-06-2016, 03:18 PM)Hamster Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 02:36 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Well holy damn!

Then I need to sell ASAP.

60% of my portfolio is DBxWD and DbxJP

What good local ETFs are there to invest in?

I do own Satrix Indi since that is the only one that looks like it has a good future ahead.

http://www.platinumwealth.co.za/forum/sh...117#pid117 ?

Don't be rash. Why sell? Just buy others instead of DBXWD instead?!

I like the JSE:CTOP50 idea so basically the top 40 plus a few mid caps?
Buy altcoins with bitcoins here Changelly

I see JSE:NEP is up ( they had a sense: http://66.8.16.130/SENS_20160606_S372577.pdf )

Now I just wish Taste holdings would start to climb. They are probably a very attractive long term buy at the moment.

(06-06-2016, 03:23 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: I like the JSE:CTOP50 idea so basically the top 40 plus a few mid caps?
Yes. But the best part of it is that any one share is limited to a 10% weighting. Another one to consider is NFSWIX (or one of the other SWIX ones).

Ive read about Swix, @hamster can you give me a layman's explanation of how Swix works?

Sent from my SM-G925K using Tapatalk

(06-06-2016, 07:59 PM)Noobly Wrote: Ive read about Swix, @hamster can you give me a layman's explanation of how Swix works?

Sent from my SM-G925K using Tapatalk
I'm not an expert at all so best do your own research.

The normal top 40 uses market cap for weighing shares. Most of the big shares are dual listed (available on JSE and others like LSE etc). Most of their shares are not available to us mere mortals because they are owned by directors, holding companies etc. Another result of this is that one holding company can own most of the shares on the JSE so effectively you may have the same people making strategic decisions on them.

So, SWIX basically looks at the amount of all the shares available to us (the previously mentioned mere mortals) and uses that as the weighting metric. It's not perfect (I own it) and if I could restart right now I would seriously consider the CTOP50....not that it is better, but it might be.

Personally I stay away from regular top 40s and the equally weighted top 40.

I have been on the fence for so long about doing the top 40 thing, I guess in the long run the top40 should perform steadily. Is there a ETF that tracks the ALL share index?

Markets is looking alright today. Even MTN is up.

Let's hope it is a sign of good things to come. I have this knack for pushing lump sums on highs and then watching it all crash :/

I did not expect Taste to fall below 240 cents to be honest. This is a long term investment so I guess buy another lump sum in them now to lower my average might be a good idea however, the fact that the price dropped this far frightens me a little bit, I understand they are using their funds to restructure their entire business, but it looks like the market does not share the optimism and is selling...?

(06-07-2016, 02:44 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: I did not expect Taste to fall below 240 cents to be honest. This is a long term investment so I guess buy another lump sum in them now to lower my average might be a good idea however, the fact that the price dropped this far frightens me a little bit, I understand they are using their funds to restructure their entire business, but it looks like the market does not share the optimism and is selling...?

I'm just as clueless as you on this one. My avg is currently R2.40 and will keep this one for at least the next year. Am also tempted in getting some more, but will only do so once it drops below R2, otherwise it doesn't really make that much of a difference.

True. I am saving up now. I am still very undecided between JSE:NEP and JSE:ROC deep inside I feel ROC will be the better choice since it's global and NEP is just malls.

Then at the same time whilst I am dumping equal amounts into the above I am now faced with Taste Holdings, Do I increase my exposure by withholding money from NEP and ROC and lump sum them into taste?

I can't imagine Taste holdings dying not with everything they have going on now, but I am not sure will the upturn take 2 years, 3,4,6 years? Do I want to be tied down for that long with significant exposure to them I don't know anymore and also I honestly thought 240 cents will be the bottom out for this company and now I am just totally lost as I did not see them dropping 43% in 12 months. Which creates a real conflicting feeling me; on the one side I think, damn lets get the hell out of this it's a free fall the company is done red lights everywhere and on the other side of me I see a Company with good management, good plans and proper expansion trading at a 43% discount...

The is unfortunately the biggest downside of Taste, the fact that you need to invest in them for the long term. I've put in a smallish amount for now as I'm not prepared to wait forever to get a good return on my investment. I'll rather play the trading game with other stocks and let my money work for me rather than having it sit stagnant and do little over long periods of time.

They will start climbing eventually, then and only then will I up my stake in them considerably.

Same goes for PPC, they also currently trading at below bargain prices, another long term investment by the look of things

(06-07-2016, 02:55 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: True. I am saving up now. I am still very undecided between JSE:NEP and JSE:ROC deep inside I feel ROC will be the better choice since it's global and NEP is just malls.

Then at the same time whilst I am dumping equal amounts into the above I am now faced with Taste Holdings, Do I increase my exposure by withholding money from NEP and ROC and lump sum them into taste?

I can't imagine Taste holdings dying not with everything they have going on now, but I am not sure will the upturn take 2 years, 3,4,6 years? Do I want to be tied down for that long with significant exposure to them I don't know anymore and also I honestly thought 240 cents will be the bottom out for this company and now I am just totally lost as I did not see them dropping 43% in 12 months. Which creates a real conflicting feeling me; on the one side I think, damn lets get the hell out of this it's a free fall the company is done red lights everywhere and on the other side of me I see a Company with good management, good plans and proper expansion trading at a 43% discount...

Ever considered PTXTEN?

(06-06-2016, 09:31 AM)Hamster Wrote:
(06-06-2016, 08:38 AM)Xcaliber Wrote: Hey guys

Whats the best way to go about investing in stocks and such. Currently investing money into EFT's but getting bad returns and want to look else where.
Hard to make a real mistake with ETFs unless you buy into niche ETFs...or resources

Personally, apart from NEP I only use ETFs.

If you had the following:

DBXWD 35%
CTOP50 50%
PTXTEN 15%

...you would have a very diverse portfolio which is very protected from one share getting too high a weighting (think Naspers and SAB which make up 40% if STXIND alone).

You have to remember that this is a long term game. Make a loss over a year means nothing in the long run.
Thanks guys.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk