Stock Watch Thread
(06-14-2016, 11:28 AM)Hamster Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 11:23 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: The Ashburton Top 40 ETF looks attractive?

The old RMBT40? What's so attractive about a vanilla top 40?

Ashburton -> R100 per month since 31 May 2015 was worth R1 277.79 on 31 May 2016 (11.55% annual return compounded monthly)

CoreShares Top 40 -> R100 per month since 31 May 2015 was worth R1 247.73 on 31 May 2016 (7.18% annual return compounded monthly)

NewFunds SWIX 40 -> R100 per month since 31 May 2015 was worth R1 277.65 on 31 May 2016 (11.53% annual return compounded monthly)

Satrix RAFI 40 -> R100 per month since 31 May 2015 was worth R1 273.98 on 31 May 2016 (11.00% annual return compounded monthly)

STANLIB Top 40 -> R100 per month since 31 May 2015 was worth R1 283.88 on 31 May 2016 (12.42% annual return compounded monthly)
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

And? You're not really comparing apples with apples here.

ASHT40 (RMBT40), STX40 and STAN40 are all just regular market cap top 40s (the oldest ETFs in South Africa).

SWIX, RAFI and EW are all completely different from the above three (which all suffer from that inherent flaw that a single share can have too high a weighting).

(06-14-2016, 12:16 PM)Hamster Wrote: And? You're not really comparing apples with apples here.

ASHT40 (RMBT40), STX40 and STAN40 are all just regular market cap top 40s (the oldest ETFs in South Africa).

SWIX, RAFI and EW are all completely different from the above three (which all suffer from that inherent flaw that a single share can have too high a weighting).

No, you asked, why do I want a vanilla top 40, so I showed that the vanilla is the best performers from the top 40 selection I must choose from for my TFSA

(06-14-2016, 12:21 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 12:16 PM)Hamster Wrote: And? You're not really comparing apples with apples here.

No, you asked, why do I want a vanilla top 40, so I showed that the vanilla is the best performers from the top 40 selection I must choose from for my TFSA

It's not. Maybe between the two dates you chose but SWIX outperforms it.

Take it one year back to the date (on Bloomberg):

[Image: perf.png]

3.05% vs 6.40%

March 18, 2012 to today:

NDSWIX: 79.54%
STX40: 52.14%

(06-14-2016, 01:28 PM)Hamster Wrote:
(06-14-2016, 12:21 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote:

It's not. Maybe between the two dates you chose but SWIX outperforms it.

Take it one year back to the date (on Bloomberg):

[Image: perf.png]

3.05% vs 6.40%

March 18, 2012 to today:

NDSWIX: 79.54%
STX40: 52.14%
Very insightful graph thank you (:

I was under the impression itradedata.co.za would suffice

Looks like DBxWD still is the best EFT to hold for South Africans 

DBxWD vs ALSI

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2016-06-14_14-10-43.jpg   

Interesting to see how the JSE will do today, personally if I was to guess I would guess green, how do I get to that? Easy, I want it to be green so I guess for the best.

Chinese rally may halt JSE’s slide:

SOME green finally appeared in stock exchanges trading ahead of the JSE’s opening on Wednesday morning, halting five red trading days which have seen the JSE’s all share index lose more than 5% over the past week.

Even though mainland Chinese stocks failed to make the inclusion of MSCI’s World Index which is tracked by many exchange-traded funds, the Shanghai Composite Index jumped 1.5%, and the Shenzhen Composite Index nearly 3% on Wednesday morning.

Source: http://www.bdlive.co.za/markets/2016/06/...jses-slide

Interesting Read:
Quote:I am definitively out of step with just about every observer of the passing economic scene. For I think that today is when the Federal Reserve should indeed announce a rise in the interest rate. The markets in general are predicting that this has a 1% or so chance of happening. And we’re even told by some that the Captain Obvious point is that there won’t be such a rate rise. So, there’s obviously a high likelihood that I am wrong here – but that’s OK. As long as I explain my reasoning then we can at least work out why I am wrong, if indeed I am so.

I don’t think that rates should rise to aid pensioners and those on fixed incomes. Nor because we imminently face runaway inflation. Rather, I think that rates have been kept lower than they otherwise would have been in pursuit of an experiment. Quite rightly too, as I consider that experiment to have been worthwhile. It’s just that that experiment is now done and we can see the result. Which is that we shouldn’t be carrying out that experiment any more. I’m in fact insisting that it is the slow job growth just reported which is why rates should rise now.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/...922711291f

If you have adblockers enabled on your main browser then best to view Forbes.com via Brave -> https://brave.com/

Till when is the JSE closed? I see EasyEquities says -> the securities are unavailable for trading as the platform is currently closed.

(06-15-2016, 12:14 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Till when is the JSE closed? I see EasyEquities says -> the securities are unavailable for trading as the platform is currently closed.

11:55 - 12:20 according to their email

Sweet thank you.

Please let this be a green day!

JSE overall is blood, but at least taste is 0.4% up.

(06-17-2016, 09:37 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: JSE overall is blood, but at least taste is 0.4% up.

Really?

NFSWIX up by 4.621%
DIVTRX up by 0.91%

Only thing on my side in the red is NEP which is taking another beating. Down 1.25%. Fscking BREXIT "fears"