× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Share Trading Platforms and Brokers
(03-16-2017, 07:33 AM)Purply Wrote: No mention of Sharenet on here?

WHY TRADE SHARES WITH SHARENET?

http://www.sharenetsecurities.co.za/secu.../costs.php

Simple 0.3% flat brokerage fee
User friendly and intuitive online platform
Live price snap shots or streaming prices*
Market depth volume and price data*
Stop losses
Fast direct market access
Secure, separate Broker Dealer Account
Free SMS and/or email notifications
Research - Broker Consensus Forecasts*
Avoid additional costs and easily manage multiple portfolios from one account
Email and telephone support
What are those asterisks? Ie what additional costs do they hide.

Then out of curiosity, do they have a minimum buy in or can I buy R100 worth of shares and I only pay 0.3%?
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

There is a R110 minimum charge unfortunately and I guess you pay x amount for every live price lookup

Anyways, if I buy/sell R100 000 worth of shares on EE and Sharenet, the total costs would be

EE = buy R620.72 Sell R370.73 = R991.45

Sharenet = buy R 605.43 Sell R 355.43 = R960.86

So according to those figures Sharenet is slightly cheaper than EE, not sure at which figure the table starts turning though.

Oh wow. That is hectic.

Online stockbroker fees, compared.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: share-trading-platforms-in-south-africa-fees-compares.png   

Thank you James , that is pretty awesome!

I'm amazed at how badly people get shafted by some of these companies.

Ah, I was actually creating something like this for you guys but Was having trouble getting the fees out of some brokers though, like Investec, couldn't find it anywhere on their site, just found some old fin24 post with their fees.
I'll put the results in a google spreadsheet anyway.

Here's a google spreadsheet with the price comparisons, i'll add more brokers soon:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...cylvIUA_7w

(03-20-2017, 09:21 AM)JamesYellen Wrote: Online stockbroker fees, compared.

The ABSA fees are different depending on which accounts you add to your profile. Only the Smart Account (and managed accounts) have a monthly fee. The TFSA, ETF Only and Worldtrader work on brokerage and custodian fees. So if you don't want to buy ordinary shares on the JSE you don't need the Smart Account. I recently started using the ABSA platform and although it is not as polished as Standard Bank's it is pretty decent and cost effective for my investment "style".

(04-22-2017, 06:27 PM)synapseza Wrote: The ABSA fees are different depending on which accounts you add to your profile. Only the Smart Account (and managed accounts) have a monthly fee. The TFSA, ETF Only and Worldtrader work on brokerage and custodian fees. So if you don't want to buy ordinary shares on the JSE you don't need the Smart Account. I recently started using the ABSA platform and although it is not as polished as Standard Bank's it is pretty decent and cost effective for my investment "style".

What do you buy/trade what is your style?

What I want to do is buy and sell stock like on EasyEquities, but I want the ability to short stocks. I had a look at GT247, but I will buy anyone a bottle of wine who can figure out what goes on there.

Then I looked at IG markets, but I am also not really sure what applies to me.

I do not want geared positions or anything, just the ability to short a stock.

Easy Equities would be perfect if we could add a stop loss, put in a bid instead of whatever delayed price we get to buy, and short (CFD), but using the same interface witht the added abilities. I am willing to pay a little extra to activate these features....
Anyone from Easy Equities here? Can you give feedback?

Gt247 and IG..... Don't like it....
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

(04-24-2017, 08:45 AM)Agent47 Wrote: Easy Equities would be perfect if we could add a stop loss, put in a bid instead of whatever delayed price we get to buy, and short (CFD), but using the same interface witht the added abilities. I am willing to pay a little extra to activate these features....
Anyone from Easy Equities here? Can you give feedback?

Gt247 and IG..... Don't like it....

I don't think EE wants that risk. When I was at Standard Bank, if the stop loss failed or something the bank was liable for the losses.

For a TFSA and ETFs you can do this on ABSA which in some cases are cheaper (apologies if I'm repeating myself, losing track of all these threads).

That is acceptable - the stop loss risk. I would mind buying and selling on live prices though.

Guess I should just get another platform and leave the tax free stuff in EE
"Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

I'm probably dumping EE as my TFSA provider come March when we can move. Already using ABSA for my ETF portfolio and just a way better fit for me.

(04-24-2017, 01:19 PM)Hamster Wrote: I'm probably dumping EE as my TFSA provider come March when we can move. Already using ABSA for my ETF portfolio and just a way better fit for me.

I probably will also make the move away from EE for the TFSA - after using EE's for the last two years, am really enjoying trading with ABSA's. That said, am moving my capital gains portfolio over from ABSA to EE, but keeping the larger property portfolio with ABSA. I have also been doing a bit of trading using my ABSA account and have so far been relatively successful - not so with my GT247 and CFD's where I constantly seem to loose money - nothing to do with them though.

Do any of you know which platforms have a mobile app so you can trade while on the move?