× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Share Trading Platforms and Brokers
What platforms are you guys using to trade shares on? What are the pros and cons? What is the most cost effective platform that provides you with historical data, key ratios and forecasts?

Currently EasyEquities seems to be the cheapest at around 0.62% of your trade. The only downside being that you can only trade at market price which seems alright if you are a long term investor. No company data

EasyEquities costs - monthly fee R0

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: EE costs.png   

Compared to the FNB share investor the costs are almost halved - monthly fee R59 - minimal company data

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: FNB share trading costs.png   

Both of these do not provide any financials, key ratios or forecast data for research purposes.

I believe Standard bank OST provides this data but the monthly fee is R90

Any thoughts?

Personally I use EasyEquities I switched over from PSG due to the fees at the time, I do miss the market research, but that is why I now hang on forums I tend to get a good amount of scoop here. 

I want to start looking into trading @Leigh really got me interested. So I am thinking of starting with GT247 given how nice EasyEquities is, then I will head over and try IG Markets if I become better than average as I think the overall value would be better with IG given their extensive research and resources they make available.

Conclusion for a investor who buys and holds I think EasyEquities is unmatched and seen in the same light as Capitec is to the banking industry imo.

@Hamster uses Absa as well I think, perhaps he can shed some light on their fees too.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(03-07-2017, 01:18 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Personally I use EasyEquities I switched over from PSG due to the fees at the time, I do miss the market research, but that is why I now hang on forums I tend to get a good amount of scoop here. 

I want to start looking into trading @Leigh really got me interested. So I am thinking of starting with GT247 given how nice EasyEquities is, then I will head over and try IG Markets if I become better than average as I think the overall value would be better with IG given their extensive research and resources they make available.

Conclusion for a investor who buys and holds I think EasyEquities is unmatched and seen in the same light as Capitec is to the banking industry imo.

@Hamster uses Absa as well I think, perhaps he can shed some light on their fees too.

I agree on EasyEquities, I also use them but still have my FNB share investor acc. I am also looking to assign a portion of my portfolio for active trading. I'm currently looking into IG for CFDs and Standard Bank OST for the access to the financial data.

@Spreadsheet Ranger
Have a look at Simon Browns website https://justonelap.com/
He has some very useful webinars and videos and you can also see what he holds in his portfolio https://www.simonbrown.co.za/

He also has an IG series on trading. I'm still making my way through these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiukBhj...41Grpgw1b1

(03-07-2017, 02:07 PM)Aeonian Wrote: I agree on EasyEquities, I also use them but still have my FNB share investor acc. I am also looking to assign a portion of my portfolio for active trading. I'm currently looking into IG for CFDs and Standard Bank OST for the access to the financial data.

@Spreadsheet Ranger
Have a look at Simon Browns website https://justonelap.com/
He has some very useful webinars and videos and you can also see what he holds in his portfolio https://www.simonbrown.co.za/

He also has an IG series on trading. I'm still making my way through these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSiukBhj...41Grpgw1b1

Avid follower of Justonelap.com myself absolutely love what they are doing. Look here Aeonian - @Kristia and sir @SimonPB

Side note welcome to the forum, only realized now this is your first post/thread hope you enjoy your stay.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

Smile 
(03-07-2017, 02:22 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Avid follower of Justonelap.com myself absolutely love what they are doing. Look here Aeonian - @Kristia and sir @SimonPB

Side note welcome to the forum, only realized now this is your first post/thread hope you enjoy your stay.

Thanks Spreadsheet!

Welcome to the forum @Aeonian

I like the fee comparison would also be interested in knowing what Absa's looks like.

I use EasyEquities for regular share buying (because I don't do huge amounts) as they are the cheapest. I also use them for my TFSA.

ABSA I use their ETF Only account. At a certain point (we worked it out before) an ETF trade on ABSA becomes cheaper than EE. Plus you have a ton more control over the buying and selling price and no EE to "babysit" and limit your moves (whether that is good or bad is up to you).

I might move my TFSA to ABSA though. Reason being that although EasyEquities is a fantastic platform, I prefer knowing exactly at what price I'm buying and selling at. They also seem to be tracking my portfolio amounts better. For example, my TFSA account has lost R3000 due to costs and selling at a loss, EE doesn't show that though.

Another plus for ABSA is the layout - it looks financial. I have a detailed list and can see exactly what I bought, how much I've lost/gained, the percentage allocation of each holding within the portfolio. EE has the whole candy crush saga pink square box thing going.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

EDIT:

[Image: absa.png]

(03-07-2017, 02:22 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Avid follower of Justonelap.com myself absolutely love what they are doing. Look here Aeonian - @Kristia and sir @SimonPB

*blush*

So, I'm still at Easy Equities too, although Absa is cheaper in the ETF only space. I'm too lazy to FICA, which I'm not proud of, but there it is. I'm starting to feel frustrated around data on EE, but if I don't mess around I only transact once or twice a year. It's a fire and forget frustration.

Active trading is becoming more and more alluring to me too. I have to talk myself out of it all the time, because I like money. EE is a good platform for active trading with little money, because of the fractional share allowance. I might start there eventually. I like that I can't gear on EE. IG is too sexy for me still.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: ScreenHunter_34 Mar. 11 14.59.jpg   
This is from a course I went on last year.
You need big bucks to get decent rates. Easy Equities is not even considered.

(03-11-2017, 03:15 PM)Ianf Wrote: This is from a course I went on last year.
You need big bucks to get decent rates. Easy Equities is not even considered.

Can you spot the sponsor?

(03-11-2017, 03:42 PM)Outlook Wrote: Can you spot the sponsor?

No sponsor that I could see when I did this, does anyone have better info?

I think outlook was saying that tongue in cheek implying they probably conspired together not to include easyequities as it would render them all irrelevant with those high costs.

+1 for ABSA, have my TFSA and an ETF Only account with them. No monthly fees, opening both accounts was a breeze and I like their portal.

My main portfolio is with Thebe Securities, there were pretty cheap and had no minimum amount when I started with them years ago. But their portal has a pretty bad user experience, and i've been looking to move my portfolio to another broker for a while now, just never got around to doing it.

(03-15-2017, 09:26 PM)SuperJK Wrote: +1 for ABSA, have my TFSA and an ETF Only account with them. No monthly fees, opening both accounts was a breeze and I like their portal.

My main portfolio is with Thebe Securities, there were pretty cheap and had no minimum amount when I started with them years ago. But their portal has a pretty bad user experience, and i've been looking to move my portfolio to another broker for a while now, just never got around to doing it.
Stanlib

Slowly (and I really mean frustratingly slow) but surely they're updating their portal site.

No mention of Sharenet on here?

WHY TRADE SHARES WITH SHARENET?

http://www.sharenetsecurities.co.za/secu.../costs.php

Simple 0.3% flat brokerage fee
User friendly and intuitive online platform
Live price snap shots or streaming prices*
Market depth volume and price data*
Stop losses
Fast direct market access
Secure, separate Broker Dealer Account
Free SMS and/or email notifications
Research - Broker Consensus Forecasts*