× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Offshore investing
I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about offshore investing and it’s something I’d like to do.

Can you recommend a good, simple, cheap platform that I can use as an individual, in order to buy foreign shares?

(09-17-2016, 08:56 PM)JamesYellen Wrote: I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about offshore investing and it’s something I’d like to do.

Can you recommend a good, simple, cheap platform that I can use as an individual, in order to buy foreign shares?

I've also been looking to buy some dollars while the ZAR is strong and invest offshore. There are a couple platforms out there like IG, Saxo, GT247. I've just opened my acc with SAXO. Theres no monthly or inactivity fees. 

Theres also rand denominated investments you can make locally like buying the coreshares S&P500 tracker or the dbx-US tracker. Ive got some with easy equities which is the cheapest. I've also heard that they will be introducing some US stocks for us to buy locally. They are just waiting for approval. 

Any other platforms or brokers that you guys use?

Gt247 would be a good starting point.

On the other side the dbx trackers and the coreshares new two ETFs plus your bitcoins!

Those make for some pretty decent offshore exposure imo
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

There are ETNs from ABSA/NewGold that basically tracks the exchange rate between the Rand and the USD, Pound and Euro, so if you are looking for a pure Rand hedge they'll be the cheapest (no exchange control fees etc).

Pointless and dangerous investing in a pure Rand hedge like that unless you're convinced Zim 2.0 is imminent.

Of the ETFs (of which there are many), DBXWD still seems to be the best option in my opinion.

(09-17-2016, 08:56 PM)JamesYellen Wrote: I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about offshore investing and it’s something I’d like to do.

ABSA Stockbroker account with Worldtrader. No monthly fee. 0.1% annual custodian fee. And brokerage fees depending on where you invest (they have 20+ foreign exchanges available).