Long Term Investments
What are the best stocks to buy and hold?
The cream of the crop?
What makes them special?
Entrepreneur with a marketing and sales background.

Register to invest via Easy Equities: http://bit.ly/2mDNXsT

I like Shoprite. Its aggressively expanding into Africa, own both the Shoprite (lower income) and Checkers (higher income) brands and is taking on Woolies in the convenience food sector. Solid management.
I see this growing to and above early highs in the near future.
Entrepreneur with a marketing and sales background.

Register to invest via Easy Equities: http://bit.ly/2mDNXsT

I think KAP has potential to be a long term hold, very good management and diversified to the brim they even make mattresses.

My personal long holds are DbxWD, NFEMOM and PSG (So far they produced a couple of stunning companies so hopefully they will continue).

Shoprite + Woolies would be a killer combo, then you have the masses, the middle income and the rich bastads. Full turkey.

@Groovy, you like the food sector it seems, what do you think would be a good long term stock for that sector?

I read a article long time ago about a strategy the one guy follows; He bought equally weighted the 1 best performing stock from each sector as his retirement portfolio, reviewed every 7 years. To me that sounds quite interesting.

I would love if someone wants to take the time and draw up a 15 year graph of such a portfolio. @DieWerner you posted some comparison graphs in the stock watch thread... Wink Wink.

(03-01-2017, 11:06 AM)Outlook Wrote: @DieWerner you posted some comparison graphs in the stock watch thread... Wink Wink.

Lol...

Easy enough to do anyway. Post what you need to compare in a graph format, and I'll gladly google it for you Big Grin :

Here are the three mentioned by @Outlook. Hope a 10yr graph is fine?
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: long term port.JPG   

(03-01-2017, 11:06 AM)Outlook Wrote: My personal long holds are DbxWD, NFEMOM and PSG (So far they produced a couple of stunning companies so hopefully they will continue).

Shoprite + Woolies would be a killer combo, then you have the masses, the middle income and the rich bastads. Full turkey.
not so impressive if I add Shoprite + Woolies:
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: long term port 2.1.JPG   

Our resident grapher!

Thanks.

I will go do some research about each sector and post you the stocks.

Woolies looking cheap at the moment. I think its worth a top up!

(03-01-2017, 11:34 AM)Aeonian Wrote: Woolies looking cheap at the moment. I think its worth a top up!

Definitely and like @SimonPB said; Woolies will outlast all of us so perfect for a long term portfolio.

Retailers are an interesting play given that we should start seeing inflation pulling back in the next few months with the uptick in farming following the drought. Some basic food producers like Pioneer present an interesting investment opportunity and I would be looking for an entry closer to 15000c or at least under 16000c. Tiger Brands has been on a tare and the momentum is strong, I would be waiting on a pullback to around 40000c. Be cautious of producers who will see a negative impact from the sugar tax like Rhodes Food group, all though I like the Rand hedge it offers and at 2400c I may be a buyer.

Financials; I like the PSG, Peregrine and other mor diversified financial oportunities as I believe they provide a better defensive play against any political risks that may effect both banks and retailers with a devalation in the Rand.

The above are all on my radar.

I own:
Woolworths
Coronation
Bidvest
Consolidated Infrastructure
Brait
Life Healthcare
ArcellorMittal
Impala Platinum Holdings
Steinhoff Intl

Some value, some growth, some speculative, which I add to monthly or quarterly. I balance the pure play on equities with trying to maximize my tax through forced savings via an RA, reducing liability and given the uptick to 35% for the tax free saver I will further try and reduce my liability and kicker here by adding as much as I can.

Just a thought.

I bought Dischem in November - I'm up 12%. It's come down a bit in the last week or so - if it reaches my stop loss I'll be selling out.

I believe it will only go up in the long term and you'll never see it again at this price (R23.81). I'm basing this on the number of stores they have vs Clicks and their intention to expand. If you have a look at Clicks' share price graph it is the picture perfect long term investment.

Would love some input from other investors on here.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Capture.PNG   

(03-02-2017, 11:17 AM)PDSNET Wrote: I bought Dischem in November - I'm up 12%. It's come down a bit in the last week or so - if it reaches my stop loss I'll be selling out.

I believe it will only go up in the long term and you'll never see it again at this price (R23.81). I'm basing this on the number of stores they have vs Clicks and their intention to expand. If you have a look at Clicks' share price graph it is the picture perfect long term investment.

Would love some input from other investors on here.

Clicks...

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Capture.PNG   

(03-02-2017, 10:27 AM)Leigh Riley @ IG Wrote: I own:
Woolworths
Coronation
Bidvest
Consolidated Infrastructure
Brait
Life Healthcare
ArcellorMittal
Impala Platinum Holdings
Steinhoff Intl

Interesting portfolio for the last year:
WTF Happened to BVT in June last year???
JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: long term port 3.JPG   

And if you bought everything at the same time two years ago, it would have been very unfortunate:

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: long term port 3.2.JPG   

(03-02-2017, 12:01 PM)DieWerner Wrote: Interesting portfolio for the last year:
WTF Happened to BVT in June last year???

And if you bought everything at the same time two years ago, it would have been very unfortunate:

It unbundled the Bidcorp part of the business so the share price revalues relative to its business constituents.

From twitter

Top10 stocks for longer term investors. Updated 5 Mar'17 (with trepidation). Imperative to stagger all buying & hold some cash.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: C6LL01-WUAAe0I7.jpg   

Source: https://twitter.com/Richards_Karin/statu...5105631232

Also a disclaimer: https://twitter.com/Richards_Karin/statu...9730433026
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)