× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

How to start investing
(03-21-2017, 05:41 PM)Platinum Wealth Wrote: Here she is mister Yellen - https://platinumwealth.co.za/forum/ebooks.php

Great work! This is truely something to help people with.

Thanks so much for this PDF, I must have decided to look at trading and investing at the right time!
Quick question regarding the ETF's you suggest. I had deposited that R1k into my normal EasyEquities account, and not the TFSA one. Does this make a difference when buying those ETF's?

(03-23-2017, 09:04 AM)Brendan Wrote: Thanks so much for this PDF, I must have decided to look at trading and investing at the right time!
Quick question regarding the ETF's you suggest. I had deposited that R1k into my normal EasyEquities account, and not the TFSA one. Does this make a difference when buying those ETF's?

Not at all, costs should be the same as far as I am concerned.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(03-23-2017, 09:20 AM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Not at all, costs should be the same as far as I am concerned.

Thank you. Just to clarify a bit further, so it will not matter me purchasing the ETF's via the EasyEquities account rather than the TFSA, regardless of costs? What would the point of the TFSA account be then? Only if you holding money in that account? Sorry for the ignorance.

(03-23-2017, 10:13 AM)Brendan Wrote: Thank you. Just to clarify a bit further, so it will not matter me purchasing the ETF's via the EasyEquities account rather than the TFSA, regardless of costs? What would the point of the TFSA account be then? Only if you holding money in that account? Sorry for the ignorance.

The purpose of the E-book was to get people to embrace the fact that the government is giving you the incentive to invest by making it TAX free.

So the difference between your EasyEquities TFSA vs normal EasyEquities account would be that in the TFSA your gains are tax free and your dividends are tax free. In the main account you will pay capital gains tax and dividend withholding tax.

So to put it more practical:

If Johny and Jane buys the exact same ETFs on the exact same time paying the exact same fees and share price. However Johny bought it inside his TFSA and Jane bought it in her regular account.

5 years from today the money Johny owns will be more than Jane, because Jane will have to pay all the associated taxes that Johny avoided in his Tax Free account.
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137 BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

(03-23-2017, 10:13 AM)Brendan Wrote: What would the point of the TFSA account be then?

The tax free part. One day when you sell your ETF holdings in the regular account you'll have to pay capital gains tax and any dividends you earn are taxed as well. Not so in TFSA.

Ok, Thanks guys. I guess I was a bit confused about when you sell whether you can choose which account to use, but I guess it will use the account you bought from. I will deposit more into my TFSA account and rather do it properly from the start. Again thank you.

(03-23-2017, 11:03 AM)Brendan Wrote: Ok, Thanks guys. I guess I was a bit confused about when you sell whether you can choose which account to use, but I guess it will use the account you bought from. I will deposit more into my TFSA account and rather do it properly from the start. Again thank you.
If you do go TFSA make sure it is money you are saving for retirement (when you're 65 or something). You don't want to withdraw from it to buy a car etc.

Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here. Been reading some of the posts. Nice work guys. Very informative.
Can somebody tell me how to invest in USD. i'm currently using ABSA Stockbrockers and IRESS for trading on the JSE.
But how do i trade currency ? Which is the best platform to do so?

(05-25-2017, 12:32 PM)LeisureLarry Wrote: Hi Guys

I'm a newbie here. Been reading some of the posts. Nice work guys. Very informative.
Can somebody tell me how to invest in USD. i'm currently using ABSA Stockbrockers and IRESS for trading on the JSE.
But how do i trade currency ? Which is the best platform to do so?

Easiest (considering you already have an ABSA Stockbroker account) is to buy the NEWUSD ETN. Will effectively track the USD exchange rate with ZAR. You do not own USD though, when you cash out it becomes ZAR again. You are saving quite a bit on transfer costs etc.

If you want actual USD - open an FNB Global Account and transfer into it. Done.

To do actual/active forex trading though you may want to look at another solution which these are not.

Hey guys, thank you for the value dropped in this thread!

(05-25-2017, 01:30 PM)Hamster Wrote: Easiest (considering you already have an ABSA Stockbroker account) is to buy the NEWUSD ETN. Will effectively track the USD exchange rate with ZAR. You do not own USD though, when you cash out it becomes ZAR again. You are saving quite a bit on transfer costs etc.

If you want actual USD - open an FNB Global Account and transfer into it. Done.

To do actual/active forex trading though you may want to look at another solution which these are not.

Thanks Hamster. much appreciated.

(05-25-2017, 02:16 PM)iamkiko Wrote: Hey guys, thank you for the value dropped in this thread!

Pleasure...now tell all your friends! Smile

Hi Guys

If you are interested, we have something on our website which allows you to calculate exactly how long it will take you to reach financial independence (that point where the income from your investments is greater than your salary):

http://www.pdsnet.co.za/index.php/financ...alculator/

Thought it was relevant to the above discussion.

Some scrolling issues on the mobile site in portrait mode. Landscape solves it.

Nice tool though,but struggling to interpret the results. I'll try on a laptop tomorrow Smile