× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

How to buy Stellar (XLM)
How to buy Stellar (XLM)

How to buy Stellar Lumens?
Unfortunately, we cannot use Shapeshift for this, you need to open an account on the binance (Open Account) exchange.

Security Tip: Please use Two-factor Authentication by enabling SMS Auth and Google Auth once you completed your registration.

Lower the fees: Enable “Using BNB to pay for fees” to get a 50% discount on all fees.

You need to send Eth, BTC or Zcash to Binance in order to trade and buy Stellar, you can either use Luno or Ice3X to buy Bitcoin and Ethereum in South Africa, Alternatively use Changelly for credit card payments.

Assuming you have your base crypto currency (Zec, BTC, ETH etc) let’s proceed to buy XLM, on the Binance screen go to the top right and hover on funds and then from the dropdown click on “Deposit Withdrawal”.

You will now see a collection of cryptocurrencies, there are all the currencies you can use to deposit to Binance, I chose ZCash because it is lightning fast and cheap compared to Bitcoin.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: binance-deposits-and-withdrawels-1.jpg   

Now search for Zcash and then click on "Deposit", that will give you a Zcash address to send it too, you can click on history to see what the status is of your transfer, Binance applies the funds after 2 confirmations.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: binance-zcash-deposit-screen-2.jpg   

Now that you have Zcash, we need to change that Zcash for BTC since all the coins on Binance trades as BTC pairs (Ideally you want to deposit BTC straight to Binance, but the fees and speed of BTC does not impress me so I prefer Zcash.)

To trade your zcash for BTC, navigate to the top left and hover over “Exchange” then from the dropdown click on basic, you will see the following screen:

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: binance-exchange-screen-basic-version-3.jpg   

Now search for the ZEC/BTC pair in box 3 and then sell the Zcash for Bitcoin

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: trade-zcash-for-bitcoin-on-binance-4.jpg   

Now that you have Bitcoin you will do this exact same process, but instead of selling Zcash, you will be buying Stellar Lumens (XLM).

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: Buy-stellar-lumens-with-bitcoin-on-binance-5.jpg   

Congratulations, you now own Stellar.

What is Stellar?
Stellar is a decentralized, hybrid blockchain that is fully open-source. It is infrastructure that exists to facilitate cross-asset transfers of value, including payments. With just one integration into the Stellar Network, you will join an open, global financial network where all actors – be they people, payment networks, or banks – have equal access & economic participation.

What are lumens?
Lumens are the native asset of the Stellar network.
Native means that lumens are built into the network. Asset is how the network refers to an item of value that is stored on the ledger.
One lumen is a unit of digital currency, like a bitcoin.
While you can’t hold a lumen in your hand, they are essential to the Stellar network—they contribute to the ability to move money around the world and to conduct transactions between different currencies quickly and securely.

What is XLM?
XLM is shorthand for lumen. Most currencies have 3-letter codes (USD, EUR, AUD, BTC) as an international standard.

Board Members
Keith Rabois - Investment Partner, Khosla Ventures
Keith has been a key player in shaping the future of money having served as a senior executive at Paypal, COO at Square and board member at Xoom, as well as being a board member at Yelp and a VP of business development at LinkedIn. Keith is an investment partner at Khosla Ventures and was an early investor in Youtube, Yammer, Palantir, Lyft, Airbnb, Eventbrite and Quora.

Joyce Kim - Stellar cofounder
Joyce was a VC at Freestyle Capital and an entrepreneur. Prior to that, she was an attorney at Wilmer Hale and Sherman & Sterling and pro bono at Sanctuary for Families and the Innocence Project. Joyce graduated from Cornell University at the age of 19, followed by graduate school at Harvard and Columbia Law School. She is also a Director’s Fellow at the MIT Media Lab

Shivani Siroya - CEO of InVenture
Shivani is the CEO of InVenture which facilitates financial access by offering credit via mobile devices in Kenya and Tanzania. Shivani has experiences in global health, microfinance, and investment banking at UNFPA, Health Net, and Citigroup. She is a 2013 TED Fellow and is also on the board of the LA Chapter of Young Women Social Entrepreneurs.

Greg Brockman - Former CTO at Stripe
Greg Brockman is the former CTO of Stripe, which he helped build from 4 to over 250 employees. He studied math at Harvard and computer science at MIT. He’s written and spoken extensively about how cryptocurrencies can succeed.

Main Team
Bartek Nowotarski – Developer
Boris Reznikov – Partnerships
Brian Gale – Growth
David Mazières - Chief Scientist
Ella Qiang - Partnerships China
Jed McCaleb - Stellar Developer
Lisa Nestor – Partnerships
Łukasz Lachowski – Developer
Nicolas Barry – CTO
Rafał Malinowski – Developer
Scott Fleckenstein – Developer
Tunde Ladipo – Partnerships

Advisors
Patrick Collison - CEO of Stripe
Greg Stein - Director at the Apache Software Foundation
Matt Mullenweg - Founder of WordPress.com
Naval Ravikant - Founder of AngelList
Ronaldo Lemos - Director, Institute for Tecnhology & Society of Rio de Janeiro (ITSrio.org)
Sam Altman - President of Y Combinator
Dan Kaminsky - Chief Scientist at White Ops
Bhagwan Chowdhry - Professor at UCLA Anderson

If you found this guide helpful and once you made some money, feel free to tip us
ETH 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137
BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz
LTC LcNa8XKqimLjXDGck7dPnxEjENPm9t6r3H
ZEC t1fbcSEv67Qp4qsp9vCkdAZKVpXoqpCqNM1
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x023f29596Bf80c521C906f80ee305fADc3B1Be3C BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

Hey there!

Thank you for this post. I am new to the crypto world but I have been watching altcoins for a bit and I noticed XLM and I have a good feeling about it. If binance is not accepting new users at the moment, what are my other options?

Thanks, xphiz

(01-06-2018, 10:54 AM)xphiz Wrote: Hey there!

Thank you for this post. I am new to the crypto world but I have been watching altcoins for a bit and I noticed XLM and I have a good feeling about it. If binance is not accepting new users at the moment, what are my other options?

Thanks, xphiz

Binance should re-open new registrations in the coming week. (They went from 900k to 3.2 million users is 4 weeks) They had to close down registrations to upgrade infrastructure.

(01-06-2018, 01:47 PM)JamesYellen Wrote: Binance should re-open new registrations in the coming week. (They went from 900k to 3.2 million users is 4 weeks) They had to close down registrations to upgrade infrastructure.

I'm glad to hear that! Wouldn't be nice to miss XLM when it soars. Thanks