× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

How to buy Ethereum
Any specific reason why you guys are not using https://changelly.com/ ?

I am using Jaxx wallet for now. It allows you to ShapeShift between certain currencies. Therefore skipping the "transferring to another wallet" step.

I will investigate some other wallet options over the next few days.

Ethereum (ETH) $97.91

When I made this tutorial I paid $11 for 1 Ethereum...
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(04-30-2017, 12:46 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: Does shape shift have any fees?

How does it compare to changelly I'm looking at buying a few other alt coins as well, currently I do it all via changelly

@Spreadsheet Ranger Have you tried both options and could you advise proffered option between coincapmarket-> changelly
Or
Shapeshift?

Sent from my SM-G920F using the Platinum Wealth app

(05-07-2017, 11:44 AM)JohnnyG Wrote: @Spreadsheet Ranger Have you tried both options and could you advise proffered option between coincapmarket-> changelly
Or
Shapeshift?

Hey Johnny, I have tested Shapeshift afterwards when it was mentioned here and I must be honest I like both, both are backed by credible people. Shapeshift is Erik Voorhees who is quite a known name in the crypto space. Then Changelly is backed by MinerGate also a very known and trusted pool.

After testing the Jaxx wallet I am a little more biased towards Shapeshift now, simply because it is built in.

For these reading this and have no idea what we are talking about: ShapeShift is a web and API platform formed in August of 2014 to provide instant Bitcoin and altcoin conversion with the maximum level of consumer protection and efficiency.

Users do not have to create accounts, deposit funds, or provide private personal information. This keeps the users safe from identity or financial theft – a critical improvement in exchange technology.

The company has a strict “No Fiat” policy, meaning it does not use banks or political currencies anywhere in its operations.

Thanks so much! That really helps.

Thanks all for the insightful thread. Spreadsheet Ranger I see you make a comparison between Jaxx and ShapeShift/Changelly. Isn't Jaxx a wallet where one can store their ETH and the others just exchanges for doing conversions? Can you store your Ethereum and other altcoins on Shapeshift/Changelly?

(05-08-2017, 10:19 AM)Alpha Wrote: Thanks all for the insightful thread. Spreadsheet Ranger I see you make a comparison between Jaxx and ShapeShift/Changelly. Isn't Jaxx a wallet where one can store their ETH and the others just exchanges for doing conversions? Can you store your Ethereum and other altcoins on Shapeshift/Changelly?

100% correct this thread is a tutorial where I try to show people how to buy ethereum, at least demonstrate how I managed to buy it. At the time I was only aware of Changelly soon after I used the Jaxx wallet and that is where I learned about shapeshift. So in another a thread here I compared all the wallets.

But the other guy asked in this thread between Changelly and shapeshift so I mentioned after using Jaxx I switched to shapeshift, but I realise now it might be a bit confusing what I meant was unrelated, ie I stared testing Jaxx and at the same time learned about shapeshift and from then started using shapeshift becuase when I installed the Jaxx wallet I saw that shapeshift was built in already.

Ok, understood. So we can agree Jaxx is a wallet and Shapeshift/Changelly exchanges? You have given good reviews of those platforms. Do you have experience with other Ethereum/altcoin wallets besides Jaxx?

Where is Jaxx's data stored? Distributed amongst your devices or is it on a jaxx.io server?
IQ Test

(05-08-2017, 12:37 PM)Hamster Wrote: Where is Jaxx's data stored? Distributed amongst your devices or is it on a jaxx.io server?

On the device itself so you have complete control and also sole responsibility.

(05-08-2017, 11:14 AM)Alpha Wrote: Ok, understood. So we can agree Jaxx is a wallet and Shapeshift/Changelly exchanges? You have given good reviews of those platforms. Do you have experience with other Ethereum/altcoin wallets besides Jaxx?

Thanks for the compliment. Yes that is 100 corect.

I do, I use Jaxx because its easy, but blockchain.info has the bulk of my bitcoins and then I'm going to order a ledger wallet from @BitcoinZAR since that is the actual thing that you want.

However I have no experience with a hardware wallet yet, perhaps he'll be able to do us a review. If fact I think he did -> https://platinumwealth.co.za/forum/Threa...78#pid2978

That is bitcoin specific, but I think the principle remain. I will need to find his brother EthereumZAR to comment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

And if my phone is stolen?
IQ Test

(05-08-2017, 01:41 PM)Hamster Wrote: And if my phone is stolen?

I think you're screwed.

I think with Jaxx you can create a linked wallet on your PC or another device using your secret pass code. I've added the chrome plugin and it works exactly like the phone app.

(05-08-2017, 02:34 PM)marco79 Wrote: I think with Jaxx you can create a linked wallet on your PC or another device using your secret pass code. I've added the chrome plugin and it works exactly like the phone app.

I saw now on the wallet using that 12 code word phrase, but does this pair as in sync.

For example does this make wallet 1 on phone and wallet 2 on PC in sync meaning what I do on 1 happens on 2 as well?

In which case if the phone gets stolen you are still screwed?