× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

How to build an Ethereum mining rig
Nice article, though it would be good to hear more about input costs such as insurance. What is the monthly cost for insurance? What is your electricity cost per kWh? What about adding a battery and solar power supply?
Not sure where you live, but at the coast we have nocturnal geckos that will no doubt ruin a rig if it's not sealed somehow. It would need to be connected to an aircon via a duct and be closed (possibly perspex).

Anyone have suggestions for suppliers?

(05-23-2017, 02:20 PM)Spreadsheet Ranger Wrote: 1 rig

What does your rig look like hardware wise?  What do you mine / where?

(06-06-2017, 08:28 AM)YetAnotherUser Wrote: What does your rig look like hardware wise?  What do you mine / where?

Afaik it's the 1070 rig in the first post, mining ETH I assume.

His rig count is growing daily.

I am curious as to how good of an investment this is with Casper/Proof of Stake coming up.

You obviously must have done your research, have you got an idea?

I am basing this off what I read here-

https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/quest.../3531#3531

(06-06-2017, 08:35 AM)Purply Wrote: Afaik it's the 1070 rig in the first post, mining ETH I assume.

His rig count is growing daily.

When I am big.... Big Grin

(06-06-2017, 12:54 PM)iamkiko Wrote: I am curious as to how good of an investment this is with Casper/Proof of Stake coming up.

You obviously must have done your research, have you got an idea?

I am basing this off what I read here-

https://ethereum.stackexchange.com/quest.../3531#3531

That is the million dollar q.
The next q is should I be looking at Nvidia and not AMD cards if Ether mining doesn't last a year... does it actually matter? Also - should I be buying 4Gb or 8Gb cards?

So right now nobody has stock of motherboards and there are a few RX 580s out there which makes me wonder how anyone is going to honour a 3 year warranty. As for pricing, it's looking more like R35-45k minimum spend.

(06-06-2017, 08:38 PM)YetAnotherUser Wrote: That is the million dollar q.
The next q is should I be looking at Nvidia and not AMD cards if Ether mining doesn't last a year... does it actually matter?  Also - should I be buying 4Gb or 8Gb cards?

So right now nobody has stock of motherboards and there are a few RX 580s out there which makes me wonder how anyone is going to honour a 3 year warranty.  As for pricing, it's looking more like R35-45k minimum spend.

http://gtxgaming.co.za/index.php?route=p...uct_id=228

I have motherboard stock now, just arrived at the supplier.

We buy from him as well, so can vouch for him.
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x6c793ae7749acd19c8b4a77aa72d01cd0263f137 BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

(06-06-2017, 08:38 PM)YetAnotherUser Wrote: That is the million dollar q.
The next q is should I be looking at Nvidia and not AMD cards if Ether mining doesn't last a year... does it actually matter?  Also - should I be buying 4Gb or 8Gb cards?

So right now nobody has stock of motherboards and there are a few RX 580s out there which makes me wonder how anyone is going to honour a 3 year warranty.  As for pricing, it's looking more like R35-45k minimum spend.

Indeed. I spoke to another guy who estimated R35k for R9-12K return per month.

Then again, this is all speculation. 

I would love to jump in on this but without a guarantee, I can't really afford R35K on a mining rig.

Mathematically, it would take anything from 4-8 months to break even.

You're probably better off buying ETH with that and letting it appreciate.

Thoughts?

@Spreadsheet

How is the rig going?

I myself am looking at building a 4x1070 rig to start off with on a budget of 40k.

BTW, great post. Thanks.

(06-07-2017, 12:18 PM)iamkiko Wrote: Indeed. I spoke to another guy who estimated R35k for R9-12K return per month.

Then again, this is all speculation. 

I would love to jump in on this but without a guarantee, I can't really afford R35K on a mining rig.

Mathematically, it would take anything from 4-8 months to break even.

You're probably better off buying ETH with that and letting it appreciate.

Thoughts?

I'm far to lazy to be a miner, rather went the investment route

Personally I feel if you say invest 35k right now, 4 months down the line it might be worth double that.
So in theory you need to repay 70k before breaking even, but that's just my outlook.

For all we know the entire crypto platform can take a dive for the worst, which is not impossible. This is however a risk I'm willing to take.

(06-07-2017, 10:28 AM)androux123 Wrote: http://gtxgaming.co.za/index.php?route=p...uct_id=228

I have motherboard stock now, just arrived at the supplier.

I'm very keen to order but want to get everything to guarantee I can start without delay.  Cards are the issue right now as I'm sure you know.  Any ETA on those?  I think I want to do RX580s.

No ETA on cards, even 1070s are getting hard to get now Sad

Mustek reckon end of this month, but I'm willing to guess they're sold out by then. Even good PSUs are getting scarce.

(06-08-2017, 07:35 AM)Purply Wrote: I'm far to lazy to be a miner, rather went the investment route

Personally I feel if you say invest 35k right now, 4 months down the line it might be worth double that.
So in theory you need to repay 70k before breaking even, but that's just my outlook.

For all we know the entire crypto platform can take a dive for the worst, which is not impossible. This is however a risk I'm willing to take.

The ETA for Casper/POS is end of 2017, early 2018/Q1.

I reckon you could still make a profit but the capital is costly.