× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Everything Resources
Just a question, what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest, do you rather put R500 into 3 shares, or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons, if the major stock does well then so do you, but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

(02-08-2017, 02:54 PM)greglsh Wrote: Just a question,  what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest,  do you rather put R500 into 3 shares,  or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons,  if the major stock does well then so do you,  but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have 3 stocks that I put money in each month DbxWD, KAP and DIVTRX

Then I have stocks that I buy when the price looks nice example: MTN, TAS etc.

So essentially my long term for retirement I have a set amount I invest each month split evenly and then the other stocks  I play around with depending on price some month only one gets money other months 2 or 3 gets money like if both TAS and MTN is cheap according to me.
Register on Platinum Wealth (My referral link)

(02-08-2017, 02:54 PM)greglsh Wrote: Just a question,  what do you guys do. Let's say you have R1500 to invest,  do you rather put R500 into 3 shares,  or the R1500 into one? I do little investments every month and not sure if I should spread it around or stick to 2 or 3 stocks. Both I think have pros and cons,  if the major stock does well then so do you,  but if one dives then if you spread it around it is not so bad. What are your thoughts?

I have a set lump sum that I play with, most of it is usually tide down by a few shares, then the remaining amount I toss around with things that tickle my fancy.

No additional monthly contributions as I'd much rather put that money into retirement funds and investment savings accounts.

Purply, could this not out perform a retirement fund in the long run? I have read STXIND doing like 25% returns or do you think it is to much of a risk?

(02-08-2017, 04:14 PM)greglsh Wrote: Purply,  could this not out perform a retirement fund in the long run? I have read STXIND doing like 25% returns or do you think it is to much of a risk?

Anything is possible at the end of the day, I just don't like putting all my eggs in one basket.

(02-08-2017, 04:14 PM)greglsh Wrote: Purply,  could this not out perform a retirement fund in the long run? I have read STXIND doing like 25% returns or do you think it is to much of a risk?

STXIND is not Resources though.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2017-02-08_16-37-26.jpg   

Or wait you where referring to something else? (I am on the phone did not read everything)

Iron ore back up on solid Chinese demand evidenced in their latest trade numbers. Iron ore $84.5 - up from $82.40

(02-10-2017, 09:40 AM)Noobly Wrote: Iron ore back up on solid Chinese demand evidenced in their latest trade numbers. Iron ore $84.5 - up from $82.40

That is crazy high, kumba probably going to climb even further now. It's amazing how the Iron Ore price has recovered. I remember it being around $35 a year or so ago.

$GOLDZAR - Not a bad looking chart here if support around R16k can hold.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: C4iSV5UXUAAz_nN.jpg   

Kumba: A longer term view.

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: C4nQ5LjXUAA2AOH.jpg   

https://twitter.com/Richards_Karin/statu...4854958080

Pity those aren't TAS and PPC charts :p

I just read this article -> https://www.moneyweb.co.za/mineweb/minin...-steriods/

And now I am wondering if I should buy them, how closely are they linked to the gold price?

Sibanye Share Price Chart 5 year

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: 2017-02-24_8-39-55.jpg   

Gold price USD oz 5 year chart

JSE Finance Forum Attachment - Filename: gold_5_year_o_x_usd.png   

Extremely close link to the Gold price, tread carefully

(02-24-2017, 08:50 AM)Purply Wrote: Extremely close link to the Gold price, tread carefully

I think I will stay clear headed and not bite.