× Fact! Joining this forum will make you a happier person! - Register for FREE

Deploy Let's Encrypt on Ubuntu 16.04
Just found an awesome bot to deploy LE certificates automatically on your virtual server.

Install
On Ubuntu systems, the Certbot team maintains a PPA. Once you add it to your list of repositories all you'll need to do is apt-get the following packages.

Code:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install python-certbot-apache

Get Started
Certbot has a fairly solid beta-quality Apache plugin, which is supported on many platforms and automates certificate installation.

Code:
$ sudo certbot --apache

Running this command will get a certificate for you and have Certbot edit your Apache configuration automatically to serve it. If you're feeling more conservative and would like to make the changes to your Apache configuration by hand, you can use the certonly subcommand:

Code:
$ sudo certbot --apache certonly

Automating renewal
The Certbot packages on your system come with a cron job that will renew your certificates automatically before they expire. Since Let's Encrypt certificates last for 90 days, it's highly advisable to take advantage of this feature. You can test automatic renewal for your certificates by running this command:

Code:
$ sudo certbot renew --dry-run
Forum Admin | Platinum Wealth
Tips
ETH 0x023f29596Bf80c521C906f80ee305fADc3B1Be3C BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

Is there one for nginx?
IQ Test

Yea,

I'm setting up the nginx server shortly then I will post those steps as well.
Tips
ETH 0x023f29596Bf80c521C906f80ee305fADc3B1Be3C BTC 1GeXS8t5KtYvyMAf5hhwtdxM9Ba9EWQqMz

How to install Let's Encrypt on Nginx running Ubuntu 16.04

Install

Code:
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install python-certbot-nginx

Get Started
Certbot has a Nginx plugin, which is supported on many platforms, and certificate installation.

Code:
$ sudo certbot --nginx

If you're feeling more conservative and would like to make the changes to your Nginx configuration by hand, you can use the certonly subcommand:

Code:
$ sudo certbot --nginx certonly

Automating renewal
The Certbot packages on your system come with a cron job that will renew your certificates automatically before they expire. Since Let's Encrypt certificates last for 90 days, it's highly advisable to take advantage of this feature. You can test automatic renewal for your certificates by running this command:

Code:
$ sudo certbot renew --dry-run
Tips

Now we're talking.

/moves everything to Digital Ocean Big Grin

Oh, that reminds me (shameless): if any of you ever sign up with Digital Ocean, pretty please use this referral link: https://m.do.co/c/3e171e9e1206
IQ Test

Always wondered, what makes Digital Ocean better versus a VPS from a local company like domains.co.za, because as far as I understand what you put on it has nothing to do with where you host it so what is the benefit of a VPS from local vs one from Digital Ocean?

I have a VPS with OVH in Canada as well and the only downside of it is latency, which I assume will be the same for Digital Ocean?.
Tips

Well, there is the price and the pre-configured droplets. The only experience I've had with a VPS in SA was with WebAfrica: 1) they are expensive and 2) there is a stupid cancellation period. On Digital Ocean if I destroy/stop the droplet the per usage billing stops accordingly and immediately.

EDIT: And signing up with that link doesn't hurt. Once your are in there are a couple of vouchers you can get. Easy to get up to three/four months free hosting :p
IQ Test

Perfect, I just wanted to make sure I am not missing something, so on Digital Ocean they simply call their VPSes droplets, but it's still a normal VPS, on local providers you can also choose the CPU, RAM, SSD, Bucket storage, OS, pre configured recipes etc. Digital Ocean just makes it look a bit more flashy and elegant, but it's the same thing plus latency.

As for Web Africa, hahaha.
I cried a little thinking about that experience of yours with them, but you can be glad you did not host with Afrihoax.
Tips

I might still try domains, but if I ever leave HostKing I'll just leave the SA providers altogether. I've got a couple of parked domains at GridHost (WebAfrica) - so far they haven't messed that up.
IQ Test